GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 Low Torque (91) or Stage 1 (91) Tune?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah. Essentially the 87 octane tune. If you're looking for a flash that's safe enough that APR themselves are betting on it, get the 87 tune.
This.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
I like how "stock" it feels when driving below 3k and I am out of std warranty but still 3/4 years away from end of extended warranty
plan to use the stock clutch as long as i can.

for me to take adv of extended warranty it needs to be something real significant.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I like how "stock" it feels when driving below 3k and I am out of std warranty but still 3/4 years away from end of extended warranty
plan to use the stock clutch as long as i can.

for me to take adv of extended warranty it needs to be something real significant.

Won't being tuned void your extended warranty?

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
I'm considering a low torque stage 1 APR tune for my 2021 GTI 6-speed. It's $500. My car is leased for the next 36 months but the tune is being done at my local VW dealer who is an APR-certified dealer. They told me not to worry about the car warranty saying as long as I do all of the service with them it will be fine. I'm not concerned about blowing the engine or damaging anything given that I'm not doing any street racing. My only concern is shredding the clutch. I'm not an aggressive driver but I wouldn't mind a little extra power every now and again which is why I'm considering it. It sounds like fun. The dealer isn't pushing it but he is telling me that a lot of his customers do it and that it is a ton of fun. The serviceperson who has the relationship with APR at the dealership told me that it's not a guarantee that I would need a new clutch and that if it starts to slip early on, I can always remove the tune and there will likely not be any damage to the clutch. Of course I'd be out the $500 for the tune but that's a risk I can live with. He acknowledges that if the clutch starts to slip after 20K or so, that likely would mean more significant wear and tear that would probably require another clutch at about $800. Just curious what you guys think about all of this or if anyone with a. 6-speed has real experience with this.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just curious what you guys think about all of this or if anyone with a. 6-speed has real experience with this.
I had the APR stage 1 low TQ tune for about 15k Km's and it was a blast. I didn't have any clutch issues even up to the stage 2 low TQ I upgraded to. It wasn't until I upgraded to the IS38 with the low TQ tune that my clutch started slipping. I think that driving style has alot to do with how long your OEM clutch lasts. I never abused the clutch and I would only go WOT in low gears above 3k RPM's, YMMV.

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
I had the APR stage 1 low TQ tune for about 15k Km's and it was a blast. I didn't have any clutch issues even up to the stage 2 low TQ I upgraded to. It wasn't until I upgraded to the IS38 with the low TQ tune that my clutch started slipping. I think that driving style has alot to do with how long your OEM clutch lasts. I never abused the clutch and I would only go WOT in low gears above 3k RPM's, YMMV.
What’s WOT?

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Just had this done to mines today. Haven’t got into it yet, but it feels so much more linear in the mid range, and still has meat at the top of the rev range!

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
My mistake was using all that torque (APR Stage One) to pass in fourth or fifth gear at under 3,000 rpm. Even so the clutch lasted about four months until late October when cooler temperatures meant more boost. Interestingly that was when the clutch complaints started appearing (2015) on the forums.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

vw83

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI 6-speed
Wide open throttle, also known as full send 😄
Just a middle-aged guy looking to make his GTI a little more like an R but would like to avoid dropping $800 on a new clutch right before I have to turn it in before the end of my lease. Aaarrrggghhh!!!

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just a middle-aged guy looking to make his GTI a little more like an R but would like to avoid dropping $800 on a new clutch right before I have to turn it in before the end of my lease. Aaarrrggghhh!!!
Maybe a piggyback unit such as a Neuspeed Power Module (NPM), Burger Tuning JB1 or JB4 would be what your looking for. Pro's for a piggyback is that it's not permanent and can be removed before servicing/warranty visits at the dealer. Plus you can recoup most of your investment back when you sell it at the end of your lease.

Ghawk

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2019 GLI
Agreed. The installation labor would likely double that number. Just wait for the Mk8 buy it and tune with APR Plus and be covered for engine warranty (but not the clutch).