GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr stage 1 low or high tq?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
EQT running a sale with free tunes on COBB also right now, and you can switch the tunes, and EQT has amazing custom traction control on COBB that will put the power down easily in 1st/2nd gear on a stage 1 car. If do more mods later on COBB is better too for pro tunes or for changing tunes later on

now that COBB is so good I honestly can't see why anyone would buy an old school off the shelf tune from APR or Unitronic or whatever

Other than APR Plus to cover limited powertrain warranty for peace of mind, APR built engine with BWEFR7163/Stage 3+ plans is the only other logical reason now.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Other than APR Plus to cover limited powertrain warranty for peace of mind, APR built engine with BWEFR7163/Stage 3+ plans is the only other logical reason now.
Having an ots that will work at my elevation was a great selling point for me. Plus the shop I got it done at charged me nothing for the flash labor. And as long as I make appointments, all future flashes are also free.

the ap is superior. I’ve had 3 for my Subaru’s over the years. But I didn’t want to buy an ap. And then pay for dyno time for a custom stage 1. So I stuck with what would work and with what would meet my standards without breaking my wallet.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
TLDR: give EQT a strong look

I was going to go APR, then someone described it as antiquated. I had also thought Cobb meant having to mount the AP. Not so. Then EQT gave away free tunes with the AP purchase while simultaneously releasing v2.0. The choice was simple.
We will see how it goes long term but over the last 5 months since getting it I’ve been really happy. I honestly can’t imagine having to rely on someone (and paying for it) to install/uninstall software for me when I can do it at my house with an easy-to-use device.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I have a Stratified custom tune and their STuned Traction Control is fantastic, I'm dynoed at 325/395. Right now you can get Cobb AP and a refined tune for $725...a great deal. I think you'll be fine on high torque, it'll help on those quick 3rd gear pulls on the highway. I'd avoid APR, I like having options and DATALOGGING! You are running a modified car beyond its intended power levels, I'd rather not have a black box flying blind.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I have a Stratified custom tune and their STuned Traction Control is fantastic, I'm dynoed at 325/395. Right now you can get Cobb AP and a refined tune for $725...a great deal. I think you'll be fine on high torque, it'll help on those quick 3rd gear pulls on the highway. I'd avoid APR, I like having options and DATALOGGING! You are running a modified car beyond its intended power levels, I'd rather not have a black box flying blind.
1.) I already have the APR high torque tune. It's super super cheap to switch between APR tunes. That's basically where I want to stay for now.

2.) I'm not really limited with data logging anyways since I have an OBD dongle and an OBD logging app.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
1.) I already have the APR high torque tune. It's super super cheap to switch between APR tunes. That's basically where I want to stay for now.

2.) I'm not really limited with data logging anyways since I have an OBD dongle and an OBD logging app.
If you want to tune beyond what APR offers you would be wise to switch to Cobb and with Cobb switching tunes you've purchased is free and done by yourself without going to a dealer. Plus you could then have a DSG tune that functions far better than the APR DSG tune does.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If you want to tune beyond what APR offers you would be wise to switch to Cobb and with Cobb switching tunes you've purchased is free and done by yourself without going to a dealer. Plus you could then have a DSG tune that functions far better than the APR DSG tune does.
I understand, but I don't want that. Not really interested in spending several hundred dollars on the car I just bought. I'm simply asking about the APR low/high differences.
Edit: Well F me. Sorry y'all. I mixed up my threads. This response sounds kind of rude -- I'm sorry! Didn't mean it that way. @jimlloyd40

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I understand, but I don't want that. Not really interested in spending several hundred dollars on the car I just bought. I'm simply asking about the APR low/high differences.
I had the APR IS38 low TQ tune for a few months before I upgraded my clutch and switched to the high TQ tune and the best way I can describe it is that the low TQ is just a neutered version of the high TQ. I'm stating the obvious I know but I didn't really get to come to that conclusion until somewhat recently as I've always run APR's low TQ tunes (stage 1+2). I prefer the high TQ tune not only for the added performance overall but mostly for the extra TQ down low which is great for city driving and cruising on the highway.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago however I think mine was more nerve wrecking decision because I'm manual. I believe this is more so the reason they put out these low/high tq output files. If they stayed with high torque only but made it their standard stg1 tune, it would be frying everyone's clutch and the complaints would be through the roof. By giving that option to now have a downgraded stg1 tune so to speak, it covers APR when you decide to go with their high tq (which was probably their initial standard) and you end up torching your clutch.

I basically accepted that by agreeing to have high torque installed knowing I'm going to have to end up replacing clutch eventually. So far it's been treating me good. I've been tuned since April. Mostly do not drive like a maniac. I use the powa when appropriate which in my daily driving, mostly consists of entering the highway. The occasional surge to get around someone driving like a moron or just too slow on the highway. Lastly, when leaving the gym and going through a town known for being loud, Hondas and just about anything to do with showing off, I run into the occasional a$$h@t that pulls me in. Otherwise, I drive it pretty tame with the goal of preserving the clutch for as long as possible. I probably drive so tame, I can't recall when I've felt the tires spin out. Granted I have the PP LSD and try not to floor it in 1st or 2nd. At least not in 2nd until I've passed around 3k rpm.

Oh and lastly, I know there are 23042894029 ways to tune this car and everyone has their preference. For me, it was about convenience. I wanted an OTS tune that would give my car a boost in power over stock and I could have it done without driving far. My APR tune shop is a 15 minute drive from home and it took them 1 hour to do it. I believe that 1 hour was also stretched because I was BSing with the tech for a bit. It should NOT take more than 1 hour.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!

15 se ,pp gti. 82k. Apr stage 1 93 low torque. Went with low torque to keep stock clutch, that didn't work out. Now have a stage 2 clutch but I'm staying stage 1. A friend had high torque in a Gti and I really couldn't feel much difference. He was on stock clutch ,35k miles. I got tuned at 66k , replaced clutch at 77k.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
For me, I tried APR stage 1 low torque for a year but didn’t convince me, so I upgraded my clutch and went for theAPR H stage 2. That one felt really well but ended up needing a stronger clutch (SRS worked perfect for 2 years).
Long story short, the car a 2015 GTI ended up needing more and more oil… when I put the camera down the cylinder #3 I realized it was time to trade the car.

Traded it for a 2019 GTI rabbit edition.
so far I have only made cosmetic mods but if I decided to tune it I would go Cobb, it was a pain to deal with the dealer to flash, reflash and going back to stock (and paying them every single time)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Since I now have experience with both:

APR Stage 1 High (version 1):
APR Stage 1 Low (2020 revision):
  • It basically caps/limits the torque at the wheels to 300 lb-ft and tries to hold that output as long as possible through the rev range. This makes it feel less "surge-y" and more refined and linear.
  • This thing seriously pulls all the way to redline, and benefits from higher octane.
  • It actually makes more hp than the high torque version.
  • It fixes my biggest complaints about the OEM powerband -- the complete weakness past 4500 rpm.
  • Feels very OEM+, almost like an RS3.
  • Very consistent across different temperature days.
  • Easily manageable on A/S tires with some throttle modulation -- easier in part because the power curve is so linear. BUT, you're gonna have a better time with stickier tires (as always).
  • Dyno: https://images.goapr.com/20_tsi_ea888_gen3_trans_210ps_s0_vs_s1_l_93_w.png
As someone who has no interest in roll racing and wants my GTI to still feel refined and OEM, I really really really enjoy the "Low Torque/High HP" version. It's a very fun boost in power that's easy to manage and doesn't feel like it's stressing anything in the powertrain.

Edit:
Oh one other thing I noticed on the revision tune: APR seems to have modified how TC or the DV works so that when TC kicks in, it doesn’t dump all the boost and momentum. Feels like a totally new traction control system. maybe it’s all in my head, but it feels way less choppy than the stock system,

Would be great if someone from APR could chime in on what change they made here.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
@Arin@APR Did y'all do anything with traction control or the DV on the latest stage 1 revisions? It feels significantly less choppy then stock when TC cuts in, almost like less boost is being dumped.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have stage one APR low Torque , been on it for a month now , roughly 2k miles..it’s funnnnn.. i do not launch this car for i know I’ll be waving to the clutch bye bye 👋🏻- it Will be good for a bit, saving for FMIC next and tires since i can Spin at will.