GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 1.8t vs 1/4th mile

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
For all of you out there who are curious at the actual performance of a tuned 1.8t, I finally have some real world data from sonoma raceway!

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with my time (14.488 @96.02, best mph was 96.99), but I only got in one good run. I still have a lot to learn about consistency...

When it finally got to eliminations I was beaten on the first round by someone with a neuspeed module DSG golf R (his time was 12.6 @107) partially because I had no idea how the elimination process actually worked, and partially because he was a better driver than me, which is reasonable :p. He said he was on vw vortex, but I don't know if he browses the mk7 forums.

Best timeslip vs one of the new 5.0 mustangs:

I have a video, but it wasn't taken by me, so I'll upload that if I get a hold of it.

EDIT: This forum doesn't appear to use the standard of BBCode that I am used to, so if anyone knows how to resize an image please tell me!

Last edited:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Nice time dude! There is an MK7 1.8T APR stage 2 guy running mid 13's on VWVortex, so you have quite a bit left in the car.
If you really want to gain 2-3mph and run a 14 flat, you are going to have to no-lift-shift. I went from 105 to 108.6mph from doing so in my 6MT.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, it was my first time ever at the drags so I still have a lot to learn. I'm going back in two weeks, so I'll see how I improve. And hey, people were very surprised when I told them that I ran this, so even with my terrible driving it's impressive!

Last edited:

fatloserboi

Ready to race!
Nice time dude! There is an MK7 1.8T APR stage 2 guy running mid 13's on VWVortex, so you have quite a bit left in the car.
If you really want to gain 2-3mph and run a 14 flat, you are going to have to no-lift-shift. I went from 105 to 108.6mph from doing so in my 6MT.

I've got a stock R is it safe to run no lift shift??

Btw nice runs with the 1.8t stage 1... I love seeing mod cars perform well on the track!!

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I've got a stock R is it safe to run no lift shift??

Sure, that's what the rev limiter is there for. Although with having the clutch delay valve I wonder how it would fair as far as accelerating in the next gear when releasing the clutch. I assume it would still lag.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
The ECU doesn't really keep boost up but it partially keeps the turbo spooled. It is just a question of clutch life by not lifting off the throttle. As long as you aren't doing hundreds of runs at WOT without lifting I think you'll be fine. Shifting in an MT GTI is the key to about half a second and 2-4mph depending on method.

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Nice times! I ran at the track over the weekend too in my 1.8T auto. Didn't brake boost off the line, so I had a horrible 60ft (2.68). Ran a 15.0 at 96.8, so my MPH is close to yours. I would imagine with a better launch off the line, I should see mid 14's as well.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Was it difficult controlling wheel spin through 1st & 2nd?
I know through 1st on stock 15" tires, can't go more than half throttle, 2nd, maybe 2/3

MAPerformance1

MAPerformance
Car(s)
MK7 GTI Sport
Yeah, being a non LSD and so much torque, it's either a laggy launch, or you get instant wheel spin, and traction control kills the fun :( I have the 18" wheels on mine, but still makes it tricky.

I know through 1st on stock 15" tires, can't go more than half throttle, 2nd, maybe 2/3

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

I actually didn't have very much trouble with wheel spin at all at the track. During this run I didn't even spin when full throttle in 1st. This is because I have nice, sticky summer tires as of recently and the track operators do a very thorough job of prepping the track with a sticky compound making it very different from the street.

On later runs in the day I had a little bit of spin in first causing some wheel hop (034 insert going in today!), but I don't even think a tuned GTI would have been able to spin in 2nd there.

On a side note, this is one of the many reasons why racing at the track is better/safer than racing on the street.

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Also Ran a 1.8

Ran my 1.8T APR Stage 1 (Auto, 17" 225/45/17 MPSS) at Orlando Speed World. Was about 95 degrees, and 50% humidity, Ran a 14.437. Has anyone else with an auto figured out the best way to launch it? The 60' was 2.364 and that was considerably better. Used ESC sport mode, and manual mode to lightly go through 1st, then let it rev out to 6500.

My buddy with a DSG mk7 GTI ran his fastest run of the night at a 14.976, completely stock. I think we have a lot to gain with a decrease in temperature.

Last edited: