Sounds like something that’s so easy we could do it at home 👀

1684274713159.gif

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Sounds like something that’s so easy we could do it at home 👀

View attachment 280997
Exactly. If APR sold the cable/software for $150 and the tune for $400 I would easily go that route instead of a Cobb. I have never gone with an APR tune for the sole reason that I can't do it myself at home. I dont need some dude in a shop charging me labor (no matter the cost) for plugging in a cable and clicking a button. If that's called labor these days then there's a pretty big problem.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
We're working on at home flashing.

The current system only works for a dealer model:

- No automated billing (Dealer model)
- No can't scale to thousands of flashes at once
- Not extremely user friendly, which would be necessary

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
We're working on at home flashing.

The current system only works for a dealer model:

- No automated billing (Dealer model)
- No can't scale to thousands of flashes at once
- Not extremely user friendly, which would be necessary

I'd contend point #3 is covered by dealer flashing. The target customer for DIY flash is already doing Accessport which tbh isn't all that user friendly already. Present the customer a couple precautionary slides on how to mitigate risks and a checkbox that they accept risks of at-home flashing. I get that APR brand's reputation is partially staked on set-and-forget it-just-works dependability, but I'd argue thoughtful user guide documentation would keep the DIY/savvy customer happy (re: point #3)

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
To echo what’s been beat to death - the at home flash and switching is def. Something that loses sales.

I’m a true example - with my mk2 Tiguan I wanted to go with APR tune hands down and buy/run both the e85 map and switch to the 91 in rare cases like wanting to drive the car to socal, Az, Utah, etc… but the simple fact that I would I have to go to my Vegas Apr dealer to switch the map (my dealer is was plenty reasonable too, they only charge one time for the initial “install” then the rest don’t cost for flashing back to stock and such for the paranoid persons dealer trips)

Even with the idea of me knowing that I would probably only be switching the map 1 to 2 times a year for that trip - that was still enough for me to just settle with paying the 800ish for the unitronic tune and cable - cause for the mqb Tiguan it was my only other option….

Shameless image plug of said Tiguan 😂
IMG_7173.jpeg

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
To echo what’s been beat to death - the at home flash and switching is def. Something that loses sales.

I’m a true example - with my mk2 Tiguan I wanted to go with APR tune hands down and buy/run both the e85 map and switch to the 91 in rare cases like wanting to drive the car to socal, Az, Utah, etc… but the simple fact that I would I have to go to my Vegas Apr dealer to switch the map (my dealer is was plenty reasonable too, they only charge one time for the initial “install” then the rest don’t cost for flashing back to stock and such for the paranoid persons dealer trips)

Even with the idea of me knowing that I would probably only be switching the map 1 to 2 times a year for that trip - that was still enough for me to just settle with paying the 800ish for the unitronic tune and cable - cause for the mqb Tiguan it was my only other option….
Yeah, this was less of an issue on previous generations where you could have a few maps flashed and change them with the wiper stalk (valet mode is a cool thing too), but now that you need to go to a dealer for just changing octanes, it's much less appealing.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG

Shameless image plug of said Tiguan 😂
View attachment 281158
Similar to what I said in the other thread - would love to try out the AWD DTR file, but paying shop time and the 40m drive each way, and double it if I decide I want to go back to FWD file - prevents me from doing so.

Even if I decided the AWD file worked for me - would have to switch back in the winter when sticky tires aren’t as sticky. Just more sunk cost between time and money.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'd contend point #3 is covered by dealer flashing. The target customer for DIY flash is already doing Accessport which tbh isn't all that user friendly already. Present the customer a couple precautionary slides on how to mitigate risks and a checkbox that they accept risks of at-home flashing. I get that APR brand's reputation is partially staked on set-and-forget it-just-works dependability, but I'd argue thoughtful user guide documentation would keep the DIY/savvy customer happy (re: point #3)

I think if you can use VCDS to change complicated parameters you should have no problems doing a flash tune. Look how tedious it is to do the 5-light rear tweak.