GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Huge thanks for that information... I do have an R so that does change things up a little- I was going to go with VWR, Eibach or 034 (Emmanuals are cool to but read that they sag after driving awhile). Read that VWR seemed to be to harsh across the board for most... and Eibach felt a hair softer to some over stock springs based on the thousands of reviews I read into = )
I wou

034 vs APR seemed to be the best two options when sticking with stock shocks etc. (I did read that 034 was lower and 0 rake) I prefer not as low since the R is already low. So went APR-
Hoping since DSG I won't have the rake as bad... as that would make me want to go 034 for sure. Also, wondering if I will still need to trim the bumpstops as I haven't seen anyone do that on ours or in the instructions etc.

Thanks for your input!

With an R, I'd trim 1/2in. If not, you're going to get a very harsh ride over bigger bumps. The rake will decrease understeer and increase front traction on acceleration. Just walked to the garage and measured from pinch welds. the rake is 3/4" now, so it's settled a bit. Like I said, the one side of the rear sat really high until I got some miles on the car.

Last edited:

senfinger

Car(s)
19' Golf R
With an R, I'd trim 1/2in. If not, you're going to get a very harsh ride over bigger bumps. The rake will decrease understeer and increase front traction on acceleration. Just walked to the garage and measured from pinch welds. the rake is 3/4" now, so it's settled a bit. Like I said, the one side of the rear sat really high until I got some miles on the car.

Wonder why no instructions for any MQB Makes state to cut the bump stops? Interesting...
Appreciate the info though- also, do you still feel like these are the best for oem shocks? Thinking about selling and going 034 now lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wonder why no instructions for any MQB Makes state to cut the bump stops? Interesting...
Appreciate the info though- also, do you still feel like these are the best for oem shocks? Thinking about selling and going 034 now lol

I think less than an inch would be perfect, but the APR handling balance is what I'm most happy with. I don't have experience with 034, so I can't speakb to them, but I'd buy the APR springs again and I don't think any aftermarket springs work well with oem struts, but they work OK with oem.

senfinger

Car(s)
19' Golf R
I think less than an inch would be perfect, but the APR handling balance is what I'm most happy with. I don't have experience with 034, so I can't speakb to them, but I'd buy the APR springs again and I don't think any aftermarket springs work well with oem struts, but they work OK with oem.

So how long did it take for the rear to equal out?
I’m 26 from Fender to Ground on fronts so almost dead on... yeah!

However, on the Rear I’m off by half an inch like 27 Driver Rear and 27.5 Passenger Rear so a half inch as well. LoL

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

However, on the Rear I’m off by half an inch like 27 Driver Rear and 27.5 Passenger Rear so a half inch as well. LoL
this had me interested in Checking my measurements, I’m on spulen comp springs with a 235/40/18 tire and the FL-24 15/16ths, FR-25, RL-24 7/8ths, RR-25 1/16th.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

It took 1 autocross on 245 RE71R's. Lol.

How long will depend on how much and how you drive.

senfinger

Car(s)
19' Golf R
It took 1 autocross on 245 RE71R's. Lol.

How long will depend on how much and how you drive.

Thanks for the reply- I have been talking back and forth with APR as well, they aren't quite sure why either. I will drive it a bit more as I also am waiting on my FSB Adjustable End-links to get everything properly pre-loaded and an alignment- So if they are still off it will be verified then. I'm truly hoping they go back to normal or I will probably remove and go H/R Sport- had a buddy that just showed me his yesterday and sits completely level and loves the ride.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the reply- I have been talking back and forth with APR as well, they aren't quite sure why either. I will drive it a bit more as I also am waiting on my FSB Adjustable End-links to get everything properly pre-loaded and an alignment- So if they are still off it will be verified then. I'm truly hoping they go back to normal or I will probably remove and go H/R Sport- had a buddy that just showed me his yesterday and sits completely level and loves the ride.

Accelerate hard and get some good cornering force into them. They even out.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Either settling over weeks of driving drops 50% of the ride height claimed on the website or I've got some revised springs from APR that barely drop the car, because I went from 25-3/4" FL/FR and 26-1/4"RL/26"RR ground to fender to at best 1/4" lower or less all around. I wouldn't have complained if I saw the larger drop in height as many claim here, but it may be a GTI thing vs R springs and I'm sure my butt will thank me when I don't bottom out on the bumpstops all the time. The only downside of such a conservative drop is that cosmetically the difference from stock to aftermarket is almost negligible.

Rides really good on spirited driving, with a more stable feeling through small on corner bumps. In comfort mode the road imperfections feel relatively the same which is a huge plus.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Either settling over weeks of driving drops 50% of the ride height claimed on the website or I've got some revised springs from APR that barely drop the car, because I went from 25-3/4" FL/FR and 26-1/4"RL/26"RR ground to fender to at best 1/4" lower or less all around. I wouldn't have complained if I saw the larger drop in height as many claim here, but it may be a GTI thing vs R springs and I'm sure my butt will thank me when I don't bottom out on the bumpstops all the time. The only downside of such a conservative drop is that cosmetically the difference from stock to aftermarket is almost negligible.

Rides really good on spirited driving, with a more stable feeling through small on corner bumps. In comfort mode the road imperfections feel relatively the same which is a huge plus.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The drop with an R is pretty mild. It's more of a drop on a GTI.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Pretty sure if they fit the GLI they would list the GLI in compatibility.