GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs Now Available (MK7 GTI)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's a cluster trying to get numbers on drop. Varying factory setups. Varying factory component health. Variation car to car, year to year, region to region. Settling. And so on.

Seeing as I own a new Rabbit edition, it's the best case scenario and the drop is 1.1". With a stated range of .5 to .75, I would have been fine at .75.

What's worse, you haven't changed the description on the product even now that you know .5 to .75 is incorrect.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's pretty obvious from the picture posted you measured incorrectly.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
The best way to properly measure would be to get an exact measurement from the center of the hub to fender with the oem setup and then center of hub to fender with the aftermarket springs, once they've settled (with the same wheel setup, obviously). Then post the exact year make/model (and dsg or manual) of the vehicle posted in pictures.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Arin,

The drop discrepancy was reported right after the release when people started lowering their cars with these.

If you want to clarify for different markets, that makes sense.

However this is on your US based site and these consistently drop 1.1-1.3 inches.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The best way to properly measure would be to get an exact measurement from the center of the hub to fender with the oem setup and then center of hub to fender with the aftermarket springs, once they've settled (with the same wheel setup, obviously). Then post the exact year make/model (and dsg or manual) of the vehicle posted in pictures.

That's exactly how I measured. Again, my car should be a best case scenario in specs and being a new car. I'm not buying it. Looking at the pics they posted, no way they ever measured .5" drop. At release, I can understand there being a mistake. At his point, it's just fraud. I'll be removing these garbage springs that are almost double the drop they state and are way too stiff for the stock dampeners. I'll also post everywhere I can to beware of these fraudulent claims.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
After a few weeks, and after getting over the initial disappointment with the springs lowering the car more than advertised, I'd like to offer a review.

My goal for this car is replicating the spirit of the CSS with my 2019 Rabbit GTI, thus why I wanted less than an inch drop and nothing too harsh.

I installed these springs on my new factory struts with Eurosport's camber kit and a 26mm rear sway bar.

I was driving on my RE71R's right after install and the ride was firmer than I wanted on the street. Not bad, but definitely a little harsher than stock. Once I installed my street tires, they were exactly what I wanted on the street. TIre and tire pressure will be critical to getting good street manners.

I did have one concern though. Even after a week of intentional hard driving, the right rear was sitting high, even after removing and reinstalling the spring. Swapped left and right rear, now left was 1/2 higher. This was causing uneven ride height at the front too. I sourced a set of R springs in case they didn't eventually settle, but decided to get it aligned and shake it down at an autocross.

First, the car had much less body roll than stock. A lot less. Back on RE71R's, the car felt great at speed, soaking up the terrible asphalt imperfections on the old cracked and pitted runway. Again, transitions were well controlled, no brake dive, though strangely, the car was harder to launch without getting wheel hop on the broken asphalt, but easier on smooth city streets.

Second, these springs, 26mm rear sway, -2.3 camber front, -1.8 rear with .02 toe out front, .02 toe in rear, 32 psi on 245/40 17 RE71R's, handled amazingly. Sharp turn in, allowed perfect trail braking (I've also turned ESC completely off and all the abs nannies too) put down power, and felt really composed. I came away loving this car even more. In stock form, even with a RSB, it's a bit tedious to drive these cars fast. With the above setup, it was some much fun to throw the car around and get it to dance. Easily the best of all my previous GTI's and feels are fun to drive as my old Corrado VR6 did.

Third, the springs don't feel under dampened with good factory shocks, though if yours are worn, I'd just suck it up and do B8's. I've used Koni sports on many cars over the years, the last one being a 15 Miata Club, and I just don't think they'll pair as well with these as the B8's.

Fourth, after 3 drivers doing 7 autocross runs each on 200tw tires, the springs have settled. Fronts are both equal, rears are equal.

So, if you can get passed the height thing, which I have, there's a lot of value here if you're building a mild streetable STH, a canyon carver and/or mild track day car. If it's just for street, they are on the verge of being to stiff, but a little softer sideway choice really is about perfect and is wife approved by my wife that is very sensitive to ride quality and drives a Mercedes SUV. I went with FK510's, but ESC, MPS4S or MPSS would work well too.

Overall I'm really, really impressed, even after my initial anger over the ride height. I would give them 8/10, which would be a 9 if the drop were .25 less. I'll update with news of how my stock struts hold up, which I should be a good case study, since I drive 90 miles a day on the street and track and autocross the car once or twice a month.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Pics with 225/45 17 FK510's and 245/40 17 RE71R's with APR springs. The ride is stock like with the Falkens, just with less body roll, and a little rough and choppy on the street with the Stones, but they're fine on the street.

20200202_172836.jpg
20200202_133154.jpg

senfinger

Car(s)
19' Golf R
Thank you for the feedback guys. I don't want to go to jail over lowering spring lowering range fraud, or mislead anyone, so I've updated verbiage on the site.

its interesting, APR was so rude to
me the other day. I purchase a set of springs SUS003 and they didn’t have Springs Isolators on them from a local seller NIB... APR said I would need to go to the dealer and ask them to help me out with an exchange/warranty. I then contacted the dealer and they said we will have APR drop ship a new set straight from them to me... and guess what no isolators LoL so now I’m out shipping to return this set because the techs that answers calls there don’t know their product line. SMH... : (

senfinger

Car(s)
19' Golf R
After a few weeks, and after getting over the initial disappointment with the springs lowering the car more than advertised, I'd like to offer a review.

My goal for this car is replicating the spirit of the CSS with my 2019 Rabbit GTI, thus why I wanted less than an inch drop and nothing too harsh.

I installed these springs on my new factory struts with Eurosport's camber kit and a 26mm rear sway bar.

I was driving on my RE71R's right after install and the ride was firmer than I wanted on the street. Not bad, but definitely a little harsher than stock. Once I installed my street tires, they were exactly what I wanted on the street. TIre and tire pressure will be critical to getting good street manners.

I did have one concern though. Even after a week of intentional hard driving, the right rear was sitting high, even after removing and reinstalling the spring. Swapped left and right rear, now left was 1/2 higher. This was causing uneven ride height at the front too. I sourced a set of R springs in case they didn't eventually settle, but decided to get it aligned and shake it down at an autocross.

First, the car had much less body roll than stock. A lot less. Back on RE71R's, the car felt great at speed, soaking up the terrible asphalt imperfections on the old cracked and pitted runway. Again, transitions were well controlled, no brake dive, though strangely, the car was harder to launch without getting wheel hop on the broken asphalt, but easier on smooth city streets.

Second, these springs, 26mm rear sway, -2.3 camber front, -1.8 rear with .02 toe out front, .02 toe in rear, 32 psi on 245/40 17 RE71R's, handled amazingly. Sharp turn in, allowed perfect trail braking (I've also turned ESC completely off and all the abs nannies too) put down power, and felt really composed. I came away loving this car even more. In stock form, even with a RSB, it's a bit tedious to drive these cars fast. With the above setup, it was some much fun to throw the car around and get it to dance. Easily the best of all my previous GTI's and feels are fun to drive as my old Corrado VR6 did.

Third, the springs don't feel under dampened with good factory shocks, though if yours are worn, I'd just suck it up and do B8's. I've used Koni sports on many cars over the years, the last one being a 15 Miata Club, and I just don't think they'll pair as well with these as the B8's.

Fourth, after 3 drivers doing 7 autocross runs each on 200tw tires, the springs have settled. Fronts are both equal, rears are equal.

So, if you can get passed the height thing, which I have, there's a lot of value here if you're building a mild streetable STH, a canyon carver and/or mild track day car. If it's just for street, they are on the verge of being to stiff, but a little softer sideway choice really is about perfect and is wife approved by my wife that is very sensitive to ride quality and drives a Mercedes SUV. I went with FK510's, but ESC, MPS4S or MPSS would work well too.

Overall I'm really, really impressed, even after my initial anger over the ride height. I would give them 8/10, which would be a 9 if the drop were .25 less. I'll update with news of how my stock struts hold up, which I should be a good case study, since I drive 90 miles a day on the street and track and autocross the car once or twice a month.
Are the Rear Springs different in length by
that much? : ( when measured side by side or is it a compression issue/or?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Are the Rear Springs different in length by
that much? : ( when measured side by side or is it a compression issue/or?

It was just a compression issue. All settled within a few days. Car does have some rake, which actually helps handling and putting down power, but all evened out quickly. I was worried that they'd to too low for street driving, and had a set of Golf R springs standing by to install if I started scraping everywhere, but that hasn't been the case. The stock dampeners are barely up to the task, no matter what APR says, and I don't expect them to live very long. When the road gets rough or you hit a mid corner bump, the dampeners can't control the body motions. For street driving they'll be fine though. I autocross and track, so I'm a little more critical than most. The spring rate is perfect for a street/ track car, that leans more towards street. That's exactly what I wanted with this car. These springs with stock dampeners are fine for street and if you just care about the drop. If you care about handling, do bilstein struts at the same time. I'm staying with the stockers for science to see how long they last. Will replace with B6. If you do use the stock dampeners, trim at least a 1/2 to 3/4 in off the bump stops. You'll want the increased travel before getting into the bump stops or large, slow bump with big movements get really harsh, really quickly. My pics have more fender gap than APR's pictures because I run 225/45 17 and 245/40 17 for street and track, so my car is functionally a little lower. 4 months I don't think I'd have picked any other spring. APR did a good job with these, no matter how much hate they get on the forums. I give these an 8 out of 10, would buy again.

20200202_172836.jpg

Last edited:

senfinger

Car(s)
19' Golf R
It was just a compression issue. All settled within a few days. Car does have some rake, which actually helps handling and putting down power, but all evened out quickly. I was worried that they'd to too low for street driving, and had a set of Golf R springs standing by to install if I started scraping everywhere, but that hasn't been the case. The stock dampeners are barely up to the task, no matter what APR says, and I don't expect them to live very long. When the road gets rough or you hit a mid corner bump, the dampeners can't control the body motions. For street driving they'll be fine though. I autocross and track, so I'm a little more critical than most. The spring rate is perfect for a street/ track car, that leans more towards street. That's exactly what I wanted with this car. These springs with stock dampeners are fine for street and if you just care about the drop. If you care about handling, do bilstein struts at the same time. I'm staying with the stockers for science to see how long they last. Will replace with B6. If you do use the stock dampeners, trim at least a 1/2 to 3/4 in off the bump stops. You'll want the increased travel before getting into the bump stops or large, slow bump with big movements get really harsh, really quickly.

Huge thanks for that information... I do have an R so that does change things up a little- I was going to go with VWR, Eibach or 034 (Emmanuals are cool to but read that they sag after driving awhile). Read that VWR seemed to be to harsh across the board for most... and Eibach felt a hair softer to some over stock springs based on the thousands of reviews I read into = )

034 vs APR seemed to be the best two options when sticking with stock shocks etc. (I did read that 034 was lower and 0 rake) I prefer not as low since the R is already low. So went APR-
Hoping since DSG I won't have the rake as bad... as that would make me want to go 034 for sure. Also, wondering if I will still need to trim the bumpstops as I haven't seen anyone do that on ours or in the instructions etc.

Thanks for your input!