GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs for the 2015-21 VW GTI (MK7 / MK7.5)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Product Page:
https://goapr.io/mk7low/

APR Roll-Control Lowering Springs greatly improve the looks and handling of your Volkswagen MK7 / MK7.5 GTI without greatly sacrificing comfort or your wallet! Designed for use with DCC or Non-DCC dampers, our performance lowering springs are a direct plug-and-play upgrade that offer a lower center of gravity and increased spring rates to reduce body roll.

Many lowering springs on the market today simply lower your vehicle and give a false sense of improvement by feeling overly stiff. We took a different approach with our design. We extensively track and street tested several iterations to deliver a system that not only makes your GTI look great, but does so while delivering a comfortable experience that doesn't constantly compress and ride on the bump stops or crash and bottom out the dampers. Through a proper ride height configuration, we're able to greatly increase spring rates for improved handling, but do so without leaving the ride harsh, bouncy, and uncomfortable. Your GTI will be planted with a minimal impact on comfort. It's a system you'll love the second you're behind the wheel!

These springs were designed in house and manufactured in the USA using a premium high tensile chrome silicon steel for excellent resilience against sagging and failure for years to come. Each spring comes powder coated in our signature red color, further protecting the spring from the elements. The front and rear springs are a dual rate spring that will operate as a single rate, linear spring, under normal loaded driving situations. All center of wheel to fender (CF) measurements were recorded on our in-house US Spec 2017 MK7 GTI (Non-DCC) and US Spec 2018 MK7.5 GTI (DCC) test vehicles and may vary slightly from vehicle to vehicle. Lastly, while this system was designed specifically for the MK7 / MK7.5 GTI, it will fit other similar platform vehicles.

MEASUREMENTOEMAPRDIFFERENCELOCATIONVEHICLE
CF Height362 MM340 MM-22 MM OR -0.87 INFRONTUS 2018 MK7.5 GTI (DCC)
CF Height370 MM333 MM-37 MM OR -1.46 INREARUS 2018 MK7.5 GTI (DCC)
CF Height368 MM350 MM-18 MM OR -0.71 INFRONTUS 2017 MK7 GTI (NON-DCC)
CF Height367 MM335 MM-32 MM OR -1.26 INREARUS 2017 MK7 GTI (NON-DCC)
Spring Rate215 LBS/IN323 LBS/IN+108 LBS/IN OR 50%FRONTUS 2018 MK7.5 GTI (DCC)
Spring Rate226 LBS/IN362 LBS/IN+136 LBS/IN OR 60%REARUS 2018 MK7.5 GTI (DCC)
Spring Rate184 LBS/IN323 LBS/IN+139 LBS/IN OR 76%FRONTUS 2017 MK7 GTI (NON-DCC)
Spring Rate250 LBS/IN362 LBS/IN+112 LBS/IN OR 45%REARUS 2017 MK7 GTI (NON-DCC)

Product Page:

Features:​

• Lowers 22 mm or -0.87 in Front / 37 mm or -1.46 in Rear (DCC)
  • Lowers 18 mm or -0.71 in Front / 32 mm or -1.26 in Rear (Non-DCC)
  • Increases Spring Rate 50% or +108 lbs/in at 323 lbs/in Front / 60% or +136 lbs/in at 362 lbs/in Rear (DCC)
  • Increases Spring Rate 76% or +139 lbs/in at 323 lbs/in Front / 45% or +112 lbs/in at 362 lbs/in Rear (Non-DCC)
  • Dual Rate Spring (185 lbs/in to 362 lbs/in Front)
  • Dual Rate Spring (155 lbs/in to 323 lbs/in Rear)
  • Operates as a single rate “linear” spring during loaded usage
  • Greatly improves vehicles stance and appearance
  • Remains comfortable on the street
  • Lowers the vehicle’s center of gravity
  • Reduces body roll
  • Improves handling
  • Does not easily bottom out dampers
  • Does not constantly compress or ride on the OEM progressive bump stops
  • Designed for use with DCC and Non-DCC OEM dampers
  • Direct plug-and-play
  • Made from a high tensile chrome silicon steel that resists sagging and failure
  • Powder coated red finish protects springs from corrosion
  • Made in the USA

Product Page:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.56.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.56.39 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 89

00Zero

Go Kart Newbie
@Arin@ARP - Wow, this is the most information I have seen willingly release for an aftermarket spring, Thank you.

All, How overdamped must the factory dampers be to take this much more spring? I wonder what the new vs old target % of critical damping are.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
@Arin@ARP - Wow, this is the most information I have seen willingly release for an aftermarket spring, Thank you.

All, How overdamped must the factory dampers be to take this much more spring? I wonder what the new vs old target % of critical damping are.
I have no idea what most of the numbers up there mean other than the millimeter measurements, but my EMD springs had the factory dampers clapped out at about 45k haha. Recently replaced with stock springs and the Koni Special Active dampers. I gave up on the lowered lifestyle. #grampa

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Thanks. I'm a data guy myself. Now that I have complete control over everything, I shareth.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If anything, the factory struts are under-damped. All info I've ever seen suggests stockers will be toast pretty quickly with any aftermarket spring. @Arin@APR I assume APR recommends upgraded struts with these springs, yes?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
If anything, the factory struts are under-damped. All info I've ever seen suggests stockers will be toast pretty quickly with any aftermarket spring.
This.

Edit: I had more to write and hit submit too soon. Most companies that sell springs say somewhere "designed to work with the stock shocks and struts" or something to that effect. And technically they will work. Just for a much shorter amount of time, which they usually don't say anywhere.

1650659190996.png

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
@Arin@APR I assume APR recommends upgraded struts with these springs, yes?

Feel free to upgrade, but these were designed for use on the stock shocks and dampers. DSC love them too (and will more with products we have in development). We're not overdriving them and in our years of making springs, we haven't seen them wear out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So what's the deal with the dual rate spring? Basically it's softer in the first bit of travel to soak up normal road stuff, then once compressed a certain amount they stiffen up?

It seems they're significantly softer at the low end of the dual rate in the rear. Any concern this will cause more squat under acceleration, or when loaded with stuff?

• Dual Rate Spring (185 lbs/in to 362 lbs/in Front) -- vs. 184lbs OEM
  • Dual Rate Spring (155 lbs/in to 323 lbs/in Rear) -- vs. 250lbs OEM

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It’s a progressive spring, in realty when you see most progressive springs installed you see the softer end of that spectrum really juts sits on top of each other while the cars just sitting with its static load.

It’s really just a good and common design for street cars cause you can feel softer when driving but have a stronger spring when hitting hard bumps or aggressive loads, it’s not at all favored for comp. Type driving though cause it’s not predicable like a linear spring.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
So what's the deal with the dual rate spring? Basically it's softer in the first bit of travel to soak up normal road stuff, then once compressed a certain amount they stiffen up?

It seems they're significantly softer at the low end of the dual rate in the rear. Any concern this will cause more squat under acceleration, or when loaded with stuff?
It’s an instant switch from the softer rate to the harder rate. In actually use it’s always linear at the harder rate, unless the spring is completely unloaded (in which case if it were too small, it would ‘fall out’ so to speak)

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
It’s a progressive spring, in realty when you see most progressive springs installed you see the softer end of that spectrum really juts sits on top of each other while the cars just sitting with its static load.

It’s really just a good and common design for street cars cause you can feel softer when driving but have a stronger spring when hitting hard bumps or aggressive loads, it’s not at all favored for comp. Type driving though cause it’s not predicable like a linear spring.
I’ll seek clarity but I don’t believe you will ever experience the lower rate when actually driving.