GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR rear sway bar?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Along with Jay 745's reply, I understand your hesitance and of course believe your evidence. (Nice cars by the way!)

I think it is a YMMV scenario. I've used hollow bars in the past, and have a hollow bar now on my R with tons of miles and track days. Nothing but happy. Before purchasing I did a lot of research and talked to other track rats. I think you will find as many articles and stats in favor of hollow bars as you will on solid, including a MotorTrend article about sway bars in general.

In any case, if solid bars work for you, great.
To clarify, I don’t have any hesitations with them, my rear bar on my mk7 is hollow. I was just noting my first had experience of one in general snapping
Where do the hollow bars snap? Where they pinch down to a flange on either end?
the separate experience I noted for mine, it was right before the bend
10EEBB92-44AC-4363-91A1-ED8081F25DEC.jpeg

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My 2 cents, don’t bother with a rear bar, get a front bar.

You can dial in rear rotation with rear toe out and the front needs reduced body roll to loose as little camber as possible.
100% agree! I remember the intercepted ford crown Vic’s with those thick ass front sway bar. Damn things turned so damn well. And they really looked like they shouldn’t be able to LOL

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Can't say I agree, Ive seen dozens of hollow bars snap. Do a quick search on here and you'll see the posts.
This is only true for folks that actually use the whole sway bar. A few track days in, u can remove the rear bar and notice it isn’t true anymore. It starts to give and sometimes even gains a few edges due to the slight bends. I wouldn’t go hollow on track or competitive situations

for folks that just want to have a fun experience on the street. Go with whatever. Solid would be best but hollow should last a few years before something starts feeling off in the rear. But if you’re wanting to be competitive, go solid. For sure

but please consider going with a front bar instead LOL.

my dream set up would be +2 solid in the front with no adjustability. And same oem size rear with adjustability but set to the tightest holes/ends.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
This is only true for folks that actually use the whole sway bar. A few track days in, u can remove the rear bar and notice it isn’t true anymore. It starts to give and sometimes even gains a few edges due to the slight bends. I wouldn’t go hollow on track or competitive situations

for folks that just want to have a fun experience on the street. Go with whatever. Solid would be best but hollow should last a few years before something starts feeling off in the rear. But if you’re wanting to be competitive, go solid. For sure

but please consider going with a front bar instead LOL.

my dream set up would be +2 solid in the front with no adjustability. And same oem size rear with adjustability but set to the tightest holes/ends.
I don't know what +2 solid means.

However, you can have too much front bar.

I have the Hotchkis front bar on the soft setting and the 034 rear bar on the soft setting.

If I use the stiff hole on the front bar I start picking up the front tire on track out, and handling gets weird.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If I use the stiff hole on the front bar I start picking up the front tire on track out, and handling gets weird.
Thus my experiments with front bar disconnected on my open diff car.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I don't know what +2 solid means.

However, you can have too much front bar.

I have the Hotchkis front bar on the soft setting and the 034 rear bar on the soft setting.

Sorry. Larger in the front by +2mm compared to the stock one

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Remember, for my purposes this is a daily car that is autocrossed in class GS, so I am allowed only one sway bar upgrade, and my alignment has to be street-compatible. I do have summer (PS 4S) tires, and winter tires, but I suspect I won't be wanting to take my car to the alignment shop twice a year. I'm just having fun, not trying to win a trophy.
But, I appreciate the discussion. I'm surprised to see a few mix-and-match brands front and rear, I'd expect using matched sets, brand-wise. Not that it would make a huge difference between bars of the same size... and customizing is one of the things we do.
And... no autocross yet, they repaved the parking lot we use here in NE Ohio and don't want to risk us messing up their new asphalt. Here it is June, and no events are yet scheduled.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Remember, for my purposes this is a daily car that is autocrossed in class GS, so I am allowed only one sway bar upgrade, and my alignment has to be street-compatible. I do have summer (PS 4S) tires, and winter tires, but I suspect I won't be wanting to take my car to the alignment shop twice a year. I'm just having fun, not trying to win a trophy.
But, I appreciate the discussion. I'm surprised to see a few mix-and-match brands front and rear, I'd expect using matched sets, brand-wise. Not that it would make a huge difference between bars of the same size... and customizing is one of the things we do.
And... no autocross yet, they repaved the parking lot we use here in NE Ohio and don't want to risk us messing up their new asphalt. Here it is June, and no events are yet scheduled.
Get a front bar, set rear toe to zero, have fun.