GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR rear sway bar?

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
I have an Eibach 24mm (?) rear sway bar on backorder, est arrival in November, which is beyond a useful date for this summer's SCCA Solo schedule.

However, I've located an APR rear sway bar, AXR-SUS00005, which is 1" diameter (25.4mm), but is hollow instead of solid. I run in the GS class, so only one sway bar, and I was concerned the the larger H&R (26mm) bar would be unbalanced without a larger front sway bar as well.

Does anybody have any experience with the APR rear sway bar? Is it too aggressive for street use or GS class? I have no other suspension mods on my 2017 SE, though I might go with some Bilstein B6. I won't be going with lowering springs etc, I live in NE Ohio where they roads can be rough, and this is my daily driver. Plus, anything but 1 sway bar and shocks would put me into a higher class than GS.

Update: the Eibach now shows as a 25mm hollow bar, either they changed it or I mis-remembered (which is certainly possible). And, the APR bar appears to be adjustable, having two mounting points. And last, there is a Whiteline rear sway bar available, but I know nothing about that company, I'm not sure I trust them to be as good.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

enobiko

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 SE 6 MT
Really? I heard most GTI autocrossers replace the rear bar, not the front. I have not had the alignment checked.
And... I've never heard of anybody snapping a sway bar, unless there was some kind of incident.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Really? I heard most GTI autocrossers replace the rear bar, not the front. I have not had the alignment checked.
And... I've never heard of anybody snapping a sway bar, unless there was some kind of incident.
I know my advice comes as a shock, no pun intended. But based on my MK7 STR research and 20+ years of autocross, I'm telling people to try it out, and I would do It if I had a GS car.

A stiffer rear bar is only going to lift the rear tire sooner than the OEM bar, and this lifting often happens abruptly.

An abrupt rear can get you the feeling and action of "rear rotation" but it's not the best way.

The best way is with rear toe out. This allows the rear tires a larger scrub radius and the rear tires follow the front around corners, no drama. Most cars don't need much rear toe out, maybe start with 1/8 inch rear total toe out.

vt_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
I’m also looking for an RSB to run in GS and I’ve been weighing some of the same options. I think I’m gonna go with the 034 RSB or alternatively the 24mm H&R bar which I’m thinking will be a little less aggressive.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I run the relatively thin 22mm Superpro rsb on full stiff. It’s a noticeable change in driving feel.

I have read for years, as mentioned above (Grassroots Motorsports did a whole article about it if I recall) about the benefits of the larger Front bar in terms of dynamics and how if limited to one bar the front is the way to go with the proper alignment to match.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I added the rear sway bar first to my setup which I liked...., but after I installed the front bar the car transformed! Front sway is more noticeable as the steering/turn in was affected as well as body roll.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I would not worry at all about a rear sway bar snapping. Hollow or solid. For what it's worth, although somewhat counterintuititve, the hollow bars are pretty much equal in strength to solid.

There is actual data from THIS WEBSITE that supports this. (Most others say the same.)

They say: "The two most important criteria in choosing a sway bar are the cross-section (diameter and wall thickness) and the distance between the end link and rotation point on the bar. These two factors affect the sway bar’s overall stiffness and ability to absorb cornering load."

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I would not worry at all about a rear sway bar snapping. Hollow or solid. For what it's worth, although somewhat counterintuititve, the hollow bars are pretty much equal in strength to solid.

There is actual data from THIS WEBSITE that supports this. (Most others say the same.)

They say: "The two most important criteria in choosing a sway bar are the cross-section (diameter and wall thickness) and the distance between the end link and rotation point on the bar. These two factors affect the sway bar’s overall stiffness and ability to absorb cornering load."
Can't say I agree, Ive seen dozens of hollow bars snap. Do a quick search on here and you'll see the posts.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I had hollow eibach front and rear bars on my 93 trans am back in the early 2000s and my rear bar did indeed snap/break/tear after 1.5 years if street driving only.

*only pic I have in my roll, saved from photobucket! Now if I could get my Nokia sidekick phone to power up I would have images of the snapped bar 😂😂
07A67CD9-2001-4EB6-82A9-724970C9F33D.jpeg

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Some 034 rears (solid) have busted their bushings.

My 2 cents, don’t bother with a rear bar, get a front bar.

You can dial in rear rotation with rear toe out and the front needs reduced body roll to loose as little camber as possible.
David, do you adjust rear toe each event? Or do you live with the tire wear?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I had hollow eibach front and rear bars on my 93 trans am back in the early 2000s and my rear bar did indeed snap/break/tear after 1.5 years if street driving only.

*only pic I have in my roll, saved from photobucket! Now if I could get my Nokia sidekick phone to power up I would have images of the snapped bar 😂😂
View attachment 250502

Along with Jay 745's reply, I understand your hesitance and of course believe your evidence. (Nice cars by the way!)

I think it is a YMMV scenario. I've used hollow bars in the past, and have a hollow bar now on my R with tons of miles and track days. Nothing but happy. Before purchasing I did a lot of research and talked to other track rats. I think you will find as many articles and stats in favor of hollow bars as you will on solid, including a MotorTrend article about sway bars in general.

In any case, if solid bars work for you, great.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Can't say I agree, Ive seen dozens of hollow bars snap. Do a quick search on here and you'll see the posts.
I did a a search and could not find much.

I'm kind of amazed that you've witnessed dozens of sway bars snapping. I've been tracking since 1998 and have yet to see a single sway bar snap on anyone's car, hollow or solid. It even seems to be very uncommon is pro road racing (not sure about drags).

In any case, of course it's no problem. As I said in my reply above, if you are happy with solid bars and prefer them, there is pretty much no downside.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I did a a search and could not find much.

I'm kind of amazed that you've witnessed dozens of sway bars snapping. I've been tracking since 1998 and have yet to see a single sway bar snap on anyone's car, hollow or solid. It even seems to be very uncommon is pro road racing (not sure about drags).

In any case, of course it's no problem. As I said in my reply above, if you are happy with solid bars and prefer them, there is pretty much no downside.
I'm an installer for a lot of vw people around Chicago, only personally seen this 3 times and surprisingly none of them occured on track cars. The others Ive seen are user stories here