GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the Turbo Muffler Delete!

Pieisgood999

Ready to race!
Nice! I dont quite see the point of the smaller o flange just above the outer ring though. Can someone enlighten me please?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Nice! I dont quite see the point of the smaller o flange just above the outer ring though. Can someone enlighten me please?

It's likely for sound resonance. The waves bounce around and cancel eachother out.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion

That's to cancel (muffle) noises from the turbo, and part of what this deletes. The APR muffler delete has a seal that you put into the chamber that houses the turbo muffler, it's shown in step 8 in the instructions: http://www.goapr.com/support/install/Accessories/Turbo Muffler Delete/mk7_turbo_muffler_delete.pdf

This muffler delete turns that section into a straight pipe, whereas it used to be a small chamber where air would swirl around in.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion

MIKE2

SixSpeeder the camera was placed outside you car?

How is the sound internally, with the windows closed and AC on? Were you able to notice any difference on performance?

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
SixSpeeder the camera was placed outside you car?

How is the sound internally, with the windows closed and AC on? Were you able to notice any difference on performance?

Yes, it was shot with the GoPro that came with my car on a suction cup mount. With the APR intake, the interior sound level really isn't drastically changed. The pitch of the turbo has changed a little bit, and I can hear more mechanical coarseness from the turbo, but the sound level of spool has only increased a little bit, and is not very noticeable with the windows up unless I really get into high boost. I would be curious to hear what the guys running an unenclosed intake (like the Injen) have to say about it, since they can hear what is going on with the turbo a lot better than I can.

It feels like it has helped the performance of my car slightly, spool comes on very quickly and easily now. I'm currently running the stock catback on my car, I'll report back when I throw my Flowmaster back on to see if I can confirm some of the claims of increased 'pops and growls' like some people have said they experienced.

RedGTIMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, it was shot with the GoPro that came with my car on a suction cup mount. With the APR intake, the interior sound level really isn't drastically changed. The pitch of the turbo has changed a little bit, and I can hear more mechanical coarseness from the turbo, but the sound level of spool has only increased a little bit, and is not very noticeable with the windows up unless I really get into high boost. I would be curious to hear what the guys running an unenclosed intake (like the Injen) have to say about it, since they can hear what is going on with the turbo a lot better than I can.

It feels like it has helped the performance of my car slightly, spool comes on very quickly and easily now. I'm currently running the stock catback on my car, I'll report back when I throw my Flowmaster back on to see if I can confirm some of the claims of increased 'pops and growls' like some people have said they experienced.

good to know you feel better response with it

cbeckmk7

How hard was the install process? Interested in getting one is why I asked

NHmk7GTI

Ready to race!
How hard was the install process? Interested in getting one is why I asked
I Just installed the apr turbo muffler delete it took me a little over 2 hours to install. I'm no mechanic. One of the hose clamps was facing toward the engine and one facing strait back, not strait up like shown in the install manual. Also they don't say anything about how to get the factory part out of the car once it's unbolted. I had to drop mine down underneath the car to get it out. Putting the APR part in is way easier than getting the factory part out.

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Important:

Do not lose the O-ring for the stock turbo muffler. It doesn't appear necessary to run the turbo muffler delete since they have you put a seal on the other end eliminating the chamber, but it's definitely necessary for the stock turbo muffler. I dropped mine in the engine bay never to be seen again during the install, so now I don't have the ability to put the stock unit back in.

I contacted two VW dealerships, and APR directly. The dealerships don't have a part number for it (it doesn't even show up in the diagrams that they sent me of the part) and APR's engineers don't know the part number, even though they specifically show it and recommend installing it secondary with the turbo muffler delete. It's pretty bad that they're telling us to install something that they don't even know the part number for. :mad:

If anyone has a part number, that would be amazing as I have no desire to continue running any APR parts on my car. Just an FYI, be careful with that O-ring!