GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Plus

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have personal experience with it? Any good or bad? Concerns? I'm close to pulling the trigger.

I know clutch would be replaced eventually so that's budgeted. Not interested in a JB4 as I am the least handy person in the world and don't want the hassle of reinstalling it every time i need to go into dealer.

Thanks!

Rrrrrmatey

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 Golf R
There are several threads I came across doing research on APR Plus which I found helpful that you may want to check out -

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/apr-plus-worth-it.362816/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/apr-plus-anyone-running-it-yet.350724/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/apr-plus-worth-it.367307/

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...th-apr-plus-made-a-warranty-claim-yet.360169/
* a quick note, you’ll see a lot of folks saying the APR Plus warranty ‘replaces‘ the factory warranty. That’s incorrect as I understand it, it’s more like it compliments the factory warranty and that while VW would likely refuse to warranty certain engine-related claims once tuned, the factory warranty isn’t magically gone.

I have it, although it’s on a DSG Golf R (see link in sig block to my build thread, which has several posts on my personal experience with it). My logic for going with APR Plus was very similar to yours FWIW.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've got it (going on 2 years now) and I like it very much. My best Dragy quarter mile is 13.67@105mph a decent enough boost over stock and on 87 Octane gas too. Unlike Unitronic say, APR relies more on turning up the boost wick (up to plus 7psi over stock) rather than timing and you do feel an extra punch when flooring it. The current V2 version is better than the first and it's clear they refined it... To use the tired cliche 'this is how the car should've come from the factory' is very apt (although I see why it doesn't, as it is too close to stock Golf R/TCR power and would be self defeating for VW).

Ive not had to use the warranty aspect (nor do I suspect I will have to as it's still a very mild tune and we all know this motor is capable of so much more reliably). But it is something I keep tabs on and you just can't find any examples on the web where someone has been blown off by APR so that to me says they are honoring it if something goes wrong (and don't forget, the offer the plus tune in cars waaay more expensive than our lowly GTI.... they've even got them for Lambos.

To my mind the extra $400 bucks the warranty costs Vs the low torque 87 Octane non plus tune (which is identical) is pretty cheap insurance over a 5 or 6 year powertrain covered period.

I've also got the APR DSG tune and would highly recommend that too.

Last edited:

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
* a quick note, you’ll see a lot of folks saying the APR Plus warranty ‘replaces‘ the factory warranty. That’s incorrect as I understand it, it’s more like it compliments the factory warranty and that while VW would likely refuse to warranty certain engine-related claims once tuned, the factory warranty isn’t magically gone.

My understanding is more that is *does* replace the *powertrain* part of the warranty as if you do have any related issues, per the agreement your first port of call is your APR dealer. Now I'm sure there may be some crossover, but it's primarily up to APR to sort out after you contact them. I imagine that in actual practice, it will help if your APR dealer is also a VW dealer (as mine is).

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I am very happy with APR+ on my 2018 DSG GTI. I got the DSG tune as well. It's feels very OEM+.

My logic was that having been burnt once in my Mk6 days with being flagged TD1 , and getting "mod-disease" out of my system them, I wanted the security of a 4 year warranty on the powertrain. It is also transferable to a new owner ( and CARB approved, so 'legal' in CA).
Of course, APR+ is for the person who does not plan any other mods beyond say a catback and intake - if you ever want to go Stg 2 etc, it's not for you.

I do have one complaint that I did voice to APR. It seems to me that if you have the DSG and get the DSG tune, they should make APR+ the full fat hi-torque Stg 1 tune as the DSG can take it. It seems that for many of the other Audi/VW models there is no special APR+ tune, it's just the straight up Stage 1 tune.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Of course, APR+ is for the person who does not plan any other mods beyond say a catback and intake - if you ever want to go Stg 2 etc, it's not for you.

True... but it's worth mentioning that you can in fact upgrade at low cost to APR Stage 2 (or no cost other than labor/flashing to a full fat Stage 1) once your Plus warranty expires (or before, if you were to decide the hell with the warranty). Not sure what I'll do once my warranty is out yet. I find the Plus just has a nice drivability about it as it is... that extra bit that was lacking in the stock car.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Does the ARP Plus warranty only apply to a new car? For example, could I use it with my 2 year old 2018 GTI which is completely stock.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Does the ARP Plus warranty only apply to a new car? For example, could I use it with my 2 year old 2018 GTI which is completely stock.

No you can use it for that so long as it's never been tuned before. The power train warranty will replace whatever you've got left.

wario406

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Late reply - just got min (6/2021) and I love it. Nice tune considering that APR covers the motor warranty if things go sideways and VW doesnt. Wish it had a bit more - but, I'll look forward to a Stage III when the warranty expires.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I'm strongly considering this tune. A local vw dealership is also an APR vendor and offer the tune and explained how thd warranty works. My car is 6mt though, so I would definitely need a clutch upgrade (Sachs high performance most likely).

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

wario406

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
One week in, and still LOVING IT! Major upgrade from the NeuSpeed PM, but also a major investment upgrade too. Best thing I found out recently is that it’s optimized for 87. No more 91! Loved my NSPM for the money, but this is SWEET if you can afford it.