GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR No Longer Providing Stage 2 Tunes After Labour Day. Other Tuners to Follow

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Damn dude, just now upgrading your turbo at 92,500 miles? That's like an old man getting a fresh new pair of nuts!

The is20 just hasn’t missed a beat. I’ll still own my mk7 long after all you guys have moved on, so mileage doesn’t bother me. I’ve sold 15 prior Volkswagen and told the wife this is the one I’m keeping. When it blows up I’ll just grab another long block lol, I want to still have this when it’s like owning a Mk1 rabbit

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I am so confused. I am APR Stage 2, with an aftermarket downpipe (not APR). If I want to upgrade to the is38, will I not be able to get the APR is38 tune with the DP file? Do I need to run to get this done in the next 3 weeks?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You need to get a tune code before sept 7 if you intend to do it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That sounds ominous. The way I read that is not only DP's won't be available but tuning itself wouldn't be allowed. This could destroy the aftermarket companies. Anything that the EPA says could alter emissions.

Used Accessports are going to be going up in value.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Used Accessports are going to be going up in value.

Yes they will but you could be stuck with a Cobb OTS tune if no one can tune anymore. And if that happens I wouldn't use the AP Manager because Cobb could disable it with a firmware update. I don't know how the EPA could enforce this if you can pass emissions.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Couldn't people do "homebrew" tunes from their garage for the COBB? There are a number of the smaller guys that probably started in or are still basically in their garage. Same with downpipes. Someone can build them in their garage and sell them...without any official business license.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
technically removing the stock downpipe and replacing it with one that was a high-flow catalyst is "tampering" with emissions controls, as well as software that disables the oxygen sensors to avoid having a CEL (but also means emissions readiness isn't ready). It's a federal offense and many states have their own statutes also.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Couldn't people do "homebrew" tunes from their garage for the COBB? There are a number of the smaller guys that probably started in or are still basically in their garage. Same with downpipes. Someone can build them in their garage and sell them...without any official business license.

If the EPA is that serious about it I wouldn't want to risk making DP's in my garage and then selling them to someone who fails emissions and is traced back to the builder. Until all states do visual inspections and actual sniffer tests I would guess if you can pass emissions you would be okay.

@GTI Jake do you have any input on this?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
In California from 2019...if your car is less than four (I think its four) years old...you can pay a $20 "smog abatement" fee annually and not have to smog for 8 years.

Last edited:

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
That sounds ominous. The way I read that is not only DP's won't be available but tuning itself wouldn't be allowed. This could destroy the aftermarket companies. Anything that the EPA says could alter emissions.

AFAIK, Cobb has skirted this by not disabling any O2 readiness monitor. It only deactivates illuminating the light for certain CEL codes. So, the CEL is still stored and you will not pass an emissions test. Since the secondary O2 is still enabled and monitoring, EQT recommends disconnecting it, since they've seen the tendency to run rich over time from the rear O2 trying to change things. This seems to be a Cobb only issue, which could point to them being the only company who isn't bypassing the secondary O2.

I don't know what other tuning companies are doing to avoid the CEL with the secondary O2, but on my previous vehicle, tunes could force readiness and it was possible to pass smog tests w/o needing to swap downpipes.

If the EPA is that serious about it I wouldn't want to risk making DP's in my garage and then selling them to someone who fails emissions and is traced back to the builder. Until all states do visual inspections and actual sniffer tests I would guess if you can pass emissions you would be okay.

@GTI Jake do you have any input on this?

It's going to be harder for homebrew downpipe makers as well, since companies like Vibrant are pulling their cats off the market as well.