GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 or stage 3?

driftingti6

Ready to race!
just want to know the difference or the apr k04 system, and the apr stage 3 system, which is better, reliable, less maintain, and better for gas mileage, ?:)

Stanielz

Ready to race!
just want to know the difference or the apr k04 system, and the apr stage 3 system, which is better, reliable, less maintain, and better for gas mileage, ?:)

my god. you just started a war.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
my god. you just started a war.

quite possibly lol.

here you go. Both kits are awesome. If you have the money for the stage 3 kit and the added amount that it will take to install then go for it. If you want to crush srt8 anything and a lot of other cars on the street then go for it.

If you want a little bit more of a budget but still awesome power and still want to crush or surprise many cars on the street......than go for the k04. Straight bolt on.

Here's an example.....search youtube.......mk6 ko4 vs.......there is a vid of any mk6 ko4 whipping a brand new rs5 audi.

hope this helps because its really that simple but if I had 3 grand laying around right now and every other mod done I would probably start a thread too:w00t:

ataman

Ready to race!
here is a another question, which one is better for the engine and wont cause too much extra wear?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor

The system hardware is extremely different.

The APR K04 turbocharger system uses an all in one OEM turbocharger off the Golf R which produces around 330 HP. It uses a stainless steel manifold which is a bit more restrictive than the APR stage 3 setup. The intake system is the oem 2.75ish diameter. The compressor and turbine wheels are smaller than the APR stage 3 setup as well. It spools slightly quicker than the APR stage 3 setup but dies out up top.

The APR Stage 3 turbocharger system uses an inconel high temperature resistant turbo manifold with a larger 4 inch intake system. The turbocharger is a GT28RS which is larger than the K04. The manifold is less restrictive than the K04. The turbo will produce more power up top, has more room for more power and higher boost levels with higher octane fuel but will spool slightly later than the k04. The spool difference between the two turbocharger systems however is almost negligible. The APR Stage 3 system is good for nearly 380 hp on pump fuel and over 400 on race fuel. Also because the turbo is not attached to the manifold like the k04, it leaves room to go with larger turbo upgrades in the future.

Both systems spool quickly and have a lot of power at all RPM's. The stage 3 system simply has more HP than the K04 however stage 3 is more expensive as well. The K04 needs to be worked much harder than the stage 3 turbocharger system to create high HP numbers due to turbocharger efficiency. Neither system has shown any great signs of engine wear to date and neither require internal engine modifications when running our 93 octane software.

Hope that helps!

stephenmarklay

Passed Driver's Ed
I just can't imagine I will go without one of these in the future. I have to live by my wife's words however:

"Everything in moderation honey"

I guess that is pretty relative when you are talking about a K04!

kashak

Ready to race!
I just can't imagine I will go without one of these in the future. I have to live by my wife's words however:

"Everything in moderation honey"

I guess that is pretty relative when you are talking about a K04!

I get that from my gf alot. They just don't get it :)

ZGTI

Banned
K04 without a doubt

Quoddy

Ready to race!
Before the K04 came along I'd planned on going Stage III in the spring. Once I heard about the ease of using the K04 for everyday driving, along with the performance, I was sold. I've been driving with it for about six weeks now and feel that it's the perfect balance that I was looking for.

Clempson13

Ready to race!
personally i would go K04 over Stage 3. save some $$$ to spend on other things. you are still getting hella power over a stock GTI.

munkey

Ready to race!
I think the consensus is, if you want more potential power go with the stage 3 (ie. stage 3+, stage 4, etc). But for most ppl, k04 is enough.

k04 plus supporting mods (FMIC, DP, clutch) is less than or close to the cost of a stage 3 kit.