GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Iridium Pro Spark Plugs are Here!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Again.. Ruths are 11 bucks a piece, have been good from -0F to 100F ambient, 32/33psi, E80 fuel.. etc.. But my car has never been tracked. Usually quick 1 or 2 gear pulls (like what 99% of the people here probably do). Not saying there is anything wrong with these plugs. I have APR coils and they are.. fine.

APR makes/sells quality products (the DTR isn't targeted towards the big turbo crowd!).

That honestly the best thing I like about the Ruth's. I've seen a few situations where they might not be the best, but from everything I've read everywhere, they're the best "all around" plug that works in like 95% of situations.

Edit: Oh, and they're cheap!

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I just wanna know when the hot sauce is dropping.
Ask and yea shall receive…

1664593304727.png

It’s in beta testing right now. Looks weak to me.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Of course apr doesnt have their very own spark plug warehouse in china, guys. What is possible, however is that they do have a deal with ngk or whoever to make a specific spark plug spec that doesnt exist elsewhere, under a contract. Pretty common thing to do, and if this is the case it isnt a pandoras box to flame the vendor for it. I dont know if thats whats happening here but im guessing it is, like how garret mades the turbo apr sells that otherwise doesnt exist.

My car misfires a bit with ruths if i havent let the car warm up at least a couple minutes before carefully driving away. Its fine after a mile of driving. Do i need apr coils, spark plugs or both?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Of course apr doesnt have their very own spark plug warehouse in china, guys. What is possible, however is that they do have a deal with ngk or whoever to make a specific spark plug spec that doesnt exist elsewhere, under a contract. Pretty common thing to do, and if this is the case it isnt a pandoras box to flame the vendor for it. I dont know if thats whats happening here but im guessing it is, like how garret mades the turbo apr sells that otherwise doesnt exist.

My car misfires a bit with ruths if i havent let the car warm up at least a couple minutes before carefully driving away. Its fine after a mile of driving. Do i need apr coils, spark plugs or both?

Just wait for the upcoming APR Coil Grounding Kit.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Honestly I think some people in this community too often take the aftermarket support for granted. Coming from some cars that had nothing, I’m stoked every time any company releases anything for us. Especially if it’s something that helps with price and availability. I’ll probably never need these plugs but I recognize the value of another option in the marketplace. If it’s not for you, don’t buy it. Simple as that. And at least they’re not in every other Facebook group post pushing their stuff. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion

How do you know your car misfires with the Ruths vs. another plug? Have you tried other plugs to check? Cold misfires are common on these cars and likely this isn't related to the heat range of the plug. Sounds like cold-start misfires which are more likely carbon buildup/needs an intake valve cleaning.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Again.. Ruths are 11 bucks a piece, have been good from -0F to 100F ambient, 32/33psi, E80 fuel.. etc.. But my car has never been tracked. Usually quick 1 or 2 gear pulls (like what 99% of the people here probably do). Not saying there is anything wrong with these plugs. I have APR coils and they are.. fine.

APR makes/sells quality products (the DTR isn't targeted towards the big turbo crowd!).
I don't disagree and it's cool to hear a car running this amount of boost isn't having issues with Ruths. Track really is where the colder plugs come into play (to me) where you are flat out for long period and more heat removal from the combustion chamber could be important depending on your tune/setup. I used Ruths on the track without issue. I just like to try things and $100 for a race-type plug is more competitive than the other popular offerings. My Ruths have a few K on them in there now, I'll just drop them in the parts stash for later and try these out.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I don't disagree and it's cool to hear a car running this amount of boost isn't having issues with Ruths. Track really is where the colder plugs come into play (to me) where you are flat out for long period and more heat removal from the combustion chamber could be important depending on your tune/setup. I used Ruths on the track without issue. I just like to try things and $100 for a race-type plug is more competitive than the other popular offerings. My Ruths have a few K on them in there now, I'll just drop them in the parts stash for later and try these out.
Ruths are so cheap that I was replacing them every 10 or 15k. I'm guessing the NGKs I got are not 3x better than the ruths, but they cost 3x more.