GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Intercooler Issue

zcmk7

Car(s)
2020 VW GLI AUTOBAHN
Recently had an APR Intercooler installed into my 2020 GLI Autobahn. Car is running great but about 50 miles in I got a light on the dash that says "Front Assist not available". Anyone else experience this issue when upgrading the intercooler? How to fix? It has to do with the sensor in the front emblem.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I’d take it back to the place that installed the IC. Chances are they knocked something loose during the install.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does this happen every time the front bumper comes off? Do you know if only the dealer is able to recalibrate it?
Not everytime. It depends on the knowledge and skill of the mechanics where you go. Very few independent shops can calibrate it.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Strange that it happened after you drove the car though. From what I understand the issue arises when you unplug the radar sensor while the battery is still connected. This will cause a fault and require a recalibration at the dealer. When I did my intercooler we unhooked the battery first and I have had no issues with front assist or ACC.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Strange that it happened after you drove the car though. From what I understand the issue arises when you unplug the radar sensor while the battery is still connected. This will cause a fault and require a recalibration at the dealer. When I did my intercooler we unhooked the battery first and I have had no issues with front assist or ACC.

Excellent point. You can keep the battery connected as long as you don't unplug the sensor.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
This happened to me when I swapped bumpers (ACC sensor was unplugged, battery untouched). Just drive it for a week or 2 and see if it goes away on its own. It did for me without doing anything special or requiring recalibration at the dealer.

Interestingly when I first removed my bumper to retrofit fog lights, nothing like this happened. Seems like a crapshoot.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
This also has nothing to do with the brand of intercooler installed.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I had this issue and for whatever reason I cleared the codes and it worked after that. That is two years ago and still good to go.