GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Full Catch Can System for the MQB Platform 1.8/2.0T

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I switched to the BL part last year and didn't have any issues until a practice course this year with a long right hand 180. Not sure if there was smoke, but I got the familiar sound of what happens when oil gets in the combustion chamber. I may have to go back to a CC, I don't want to take my chances blowing oil all inside my new intercooler.
Yep, I just ordered a CC to use with the BL as a failsafe. I feel pretty confident that BL and a CC on 200tw tires, stg 1 or 2 is going to work well.

Again, beyond that, ymmv.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Yep, I just ordered a CC to use with the BL as a failsafe. I feel pretty confident that BL and a CC on 200tw tires, stg 1 or 2 is going to work well.

Again, beyond that, ymmv.
I'd recommend reading this post, https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/smoke-factory-at-the-track.365799/

With the way the PCV system works a catch can without the plate is next to useless for preventing smoke at the track or any carbon buildup in general. The PCV in air mode will just vent the oil straight to your intake manifold, bypassing the entire turbo inlet pipe and catch can. What people don't realize is that there are two paths for the oil to vent from the PCV back into your intake air.
The hose on top of the motor is only one way. That way is also only used while you are on boost. So when you come off throttle during a tight turn or heavy braking the oil still surges and you blow smoke.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
I'd recommend reading this post, https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/smoke-factory-at-the-track.365799/

With the way the PCV system works a catch can without the plate is next to useless for preventing smoke at the track or any carbon buildup in general. The PCV in air mode will just vent the oil straight to your intake manifold, bypassing the entire turbo inlet pipe and catch can. What people don't realize is that there are two paths for the oil to vent from the PCV back into your intake air.
The hose on top of the motor is only one way. That way is also only used while you are on boost. So when you come off throttle during a tight turn or heavy braking the oil still surges and you blow smoke.

Check this one though. Just with BL PCV & ECS CC worked fairly well for this guy here in Denver doing lapping days at HPR.
I realize just one data point, but he definitely had success with a non-plate CC and the BL PCV only
This post is what got me interested in the iABED pan and the reason I picked one up. I figure it will help with the potential smoke issue and the increased capacity may help a touch with oil temps....

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/warning-oil-starvation.342058/page-4#post-7496444

"Did a few lapping sessions yesterday at HPR. Ambient temps in the 80's. Plenty of aggressive braking and corner entry/exit.
This is my third lapping day with the trio: B9 A4/A5 PCV plate (Part # 06K103495BL), ECS catch can, iABED baffled aluminum oil pan.
Running the equivalent of a stage 2 setup; with the UM files.

No smoke. No fluid on the catch can dipstick. No discernable loss of oil on the engine oil dipstick. EA888 v3 problem solved; at least for me.
The stock oil pan has a baffle insert. But, the iABED pan's built-in baffles seem to do a better job of keeping oil from going where it shouldn't.

With just the 'BL' plate and catch can; no smoke, though I would get 1/8 to 1/4 of the can with fluid after the day.
Still pretty good; but the iABED pan made it even better."

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Check this one though. Just with BL PCV & ECS CC worked fairly well for this guy here in Denver doing lapping days at HPR.

No smoke. No fluid on the catch can dipstick. No discernable loss of oil on the engine oil dipstick. EA888 v3 problem solved; at least for me.
The stock oil pan has a baffle insert. But, the iABED pan's built-in baffles seem to do a better job of keeping oil from going where it shouldn't.

With just the 'BL' plate and catch can; no smoke, though I would get 1/8 to 1/4 of the can with fluid after the day.
Still pretty good; but the iABED pan made it even better."
TBH it sounds like the pan is what's doing work. If there's no fluid in the can...

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
TBH it sounds like the pan is what's doing work. If there's no fluid in the can...
Understood, but he says with the BL plate and CC only he was getting no smoke and only 1/8-1/4 of can for the entire day. You figure a full lapping day with 5-6 30 min sessions and only getting that much in the can is not bad at all.

"With just the 'BL' plate and catch can; no smoke, though I would get 1/8 to 1/4 of the can with fluid after the day."

scrllock

Autocross Champion
True. Though also depends what's actually in the can, if it's mostly just fuel/water, that would explain the lack of smoke and still not really justify the can.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I think you're assuming BM PCV. I've had no smoking with just the BL plate and, as posted above, others are having good luck with BL and a CC. The BL PCV looks nothing like the BM version when removed.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
True. Though also depends what's actually in the can, if it's mostly just fuel/water, that would explain the lack of smoke and still not really justify the can.
Why wouldn't removing that liquid from the intake not justify an inexpensive CC? I don't get that logic.

1. Smoke stopped.
2. That liquid, whether condensation, fuel, or some combination, didn't get sent to the intake.

I get that some people want a $500+ CC, and I'm all for you buying one, but I haven't seen anyone doing track days with stg 2 or below and 200TW or higher tires not have good success with BL and a CC.

Seriously guys, I would blow massive clouds of smoke in right hand turns and the car would stutter for the next 1/3 of a lap. Now, nothing.

You can post all the diagrams and technical discussions you want, but BL and a CC is a viable solution for most people.

Last edited:

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Why wouldn't removing that liquid from the intake not justify an inexpensive CC? I don't get that logic.

1. Smoke stopped.
2. That liquid, whether condensation, fuel, or some combination, didn't get sent to the intake.

I get that some people want a $500+ CC, and I'm all for you buying one, but I haven't seen anyone doing track days with stg 2 or below and 200TW or higher tires not have good success with BL and a CC.

Seriously guys, I would blow massive clouds of smoke in right hand turns and the car would stutter for the next 1/3 of a lap. Now, nothing.
Well, it kinda depends what's in that fluid... If it's just fuel and water, would you still have the white clouds?

I apologize if I misunderstood, you are also using a catch can with the BL plate and have the same improvement that normcaldwell did? I thought you were just using the BL plate.

The part I struggle with is the stage 2 or below + street tires qualification. It seems like people generally struggle less with a mild setup like that with nothing but the updated PCV?

I personally wanted to stick with my OE PCV as long as possible but they seem to be a consumable on larger turbos. I would much rather have a $500 catch can setup than a plastic PCV I have to replace regularly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Well, it kinda depends what's in that fluid... If it's just fuel and water, would you still have the white clouds?

I apologize if I misunderstood, you are also using a catch can with the BL plate and have the same improvement that normcaldwell did? I thought you were just using the BL plate.

The part I struggle with is the stage 2 or below + street tires qualification. It seems like people generally struggle less with a mild setup like that with nothing but the updated PCV?

I personally wanted to stick with my OE PCV as long as possible but they seem to be a consumable on larger turbos. I would much rather have a $500 catch can setup than a plastic PCV I have to replace regularly.
I'm on just the plate right now. It has solved the white cloud of smoke. I'm adding a CC in the next month, because I don't want the condensation/fuel that normcaldwell is seeing in his CC being sent into my intake.

Again, I'm not saying BL or BL and a CC are the solution for those on big turbos. It is working well for stock turbo, stg 1 and 2, on 200tw or greater.

I don't think I can be any clearer. At the end of the day, do whatever you think is best for your car. I always look for OEM or OEM+ type solutions for cars that I use for daily driving. Others have different philosophies on modding. I've found over the years that if you can find an OEM part that solves the issue you're having, it tends to last longer and fit better than aftermarket parts. YMMV.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Yea if the BL solves the smoke and you are under 28 PSI, stick with the stock pcv imo. If you fall into that category switching to plate setup really only provides a small decrease in carbon buildup by deleting the intake runner passage at the expense of wonky evap issues.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I'm on just the plate right now. It has solved the white cloud of smoke. I'm adding a CC in the next month, because I don't want the condensation/fuel that normcaldwell is seeing in his CC being sent into my intake.

Again, I'm not saying BL or BL and a CC are the solution for those on big turbos. It is working well for stock turbo, stg 1 and 2, on 200tw or greater.

I don't think I can be any clearer. At the end of the day, do whatever you think is best for your car. I always look for OEM or OEM+ type solutions for cars that I use for daily driving. Others have different philosophies on modding. I've found over the years that if you can find an OEM part that solves the issue you're having, it tends to last longer and fit better than aftermarket parts. YMMV.
Glad to read that you are having good results with the BL plate.
Seems like it is a good solution for stock turbo, stage 1/2, as you've noted.
The cars with big turbo appear to need a solution like the new APR option.

Went to HPR yesterday for an open lapping day.
Did 4 sessions; drove the car hard; high rpms, late/firm braking.

Maybe a teaspoon of fluid in the CC.
No visible change on the engine oil dipstick.
Very pleased with this combo. It has repeatedly proven effective.