GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Full Catch Can System for the MQB Platform 1.8/2.0T

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I mean I've seen pics of the racingline kit and their plate is a direct copy of the TCR plate. The only difference is the TCR catch can is a true AOS and has a return to the oil pan

Edit - Here's a pic of the LMS 2.0T AOS setup, notice part #16 and #20
oil.png

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Ace, I'll get clarification for you next week on the question you asked on page one.

As for an atmospheric dump, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass emissions, so we wouldn't offer it. Also, I've had those in the past on various race setups and they tend to get real stinkey, and sometimes a bit dirty in the engine bay. Not my cup of tea, but maybe it is for others.

Now, one thing about our setup that's a little different is that it does have an internal drainback that's before the can. Also, do note, our can does have the valve on the bottom of it. So, a drain back to the pain, similar to how the other system is above, may be possible.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
The APR plate should do a better job venting crankcase pressure with the coarse separator unblocked compared to other full plates. It will still come down to how fast a non-return catch can fills up when tracking or driving hard, and if having the coarse separator unblocked exacerbates this problem.

Does APR offer just the plate. I would be interested in seeing if the extra crankcase venting is worth it in regards to oil loss. If I can keep the entry uncovered and still only lose the same amount as my Spluen kit, I would say that this is currently the best PCV system.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Would APR sell just the plate so those that track can add an AOS instead of a catch can? Crawford sells a universal AOS that might work for us.

Navi

Autocross Champion
The APR plate should do a better job venting crankcase pressure with the coarse separator unblocked compared to other full plates. It will still come down to how fast a non-return catch can fills up when tracking or driving hard, and if having the coarse separator unblocked exacerbates this problem.

Does APR offer just the plate. I would be interested in seeing if the extra crankcase venting is worth it in regards to oil loss. If I can keep the entry uncovered and still only lose the same amount as my Spluen kit, I would say that this is currently the best PCV system.
I’m interested in just the plate also. I don’t need the other junk. Sign me up.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Duly noted on just the plate. Right now we don't sell just the plate, but since there is interest, I'll see what's possible. It may be a moment though as we'll need to reforecast for just the plate and will need to build up inventory and such.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Duly noted on just the plate. Right now we don't sell just the plate, but since there is interest, I'll see what's possible. It may be a moment though as we'll need to reforecast for just the plate and will need to build up inventory and such.
yes please

let us know...

scrllock

Autocross Champion
+1 for buying plate only.

+5 for an off the shelf AOS but I suspect the reason no one offers this currently is you would also need a replacement, tappable oil pan which adds to the cost quite a bit (which is definitely an issue for this setup, many people already have a can and $600+ just to get the plate isn't reasonable).

Also seeing some people with evap codes popping up after installing this. Not sure how much of a cause for concern that is. Looks like they added an in-line check valve?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
+1 for buying plate only.

+5 for an off the shelf AOS but I suspect the reason no one offers this currently is you would also need a replacement, tappable oil pan which adds to the cost quite a bit (which is definitely an issue for this setup, many people already have a can and $600+ just to get the plate isn't reasonable).

Also seeing some people with evap codes popping up after installing this. Not sure how much of a cause for concern that is. Looks like they added an in-line check valve?
Crawford sells AOS for atmosphere and recirc.

You'll definitely have to tap your oil pan though.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Crawford sells AOS for atmosphere and recirc.

You'll definitely have to tap your oil pan though.
No one has an off the shelf option for VWs that I know of. Cliff's setup is the one I'd want given it should be relatively cold-weather safe too.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No one has an off the shelf option for VWs that I know of. Cliff's setup is the one I'd want given it should be relatively cold-weather safe too.
I get that, but Crawford does sell universal AOS kits. All I'm saying is this APR plate might go well with a real AOS and those that track are used to a little .experimenting and work.

The if I didn't track, I'd by APR's system as is and feel perfectly comfortable and happy with it.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Preferably an aftermarket company clones the bypass oil plug the TCR car uses. They run a true AOS with the same plastic oil pan all mk7s run. Their oil plug is hollow and has the return line running through it.