GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR exhaust valve rattle?

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
My warranty will expire in February, and I'm about to embark on a manic mod-athon. I was just about to order APR's valved cat-back exhaust when I ran across a few postings in VW Vortex about folks who had a rattle in one of the exhaust valves, likely from the coupling between the motors and the valves themselves. Thing is, with a forum as big as Vortex, it's not hard to come up with anecdotes for almost anything being a problem. Has anyone in here had issues with the valves vibrating in the APR exhaust system? Thanks.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Here's a video to give an idea of the buzzing/rattle I got on mine:

Pending some adapters for the OEM actuators from APR to see if the noise is fixed.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I installed the adapters today and the noise is gone during a 30 min test drive. I am a little skeptical because the adapters they replaced looked very similar to the naked eye, but perhaps it was a tolerance issue on the manufacture of the original pieces.

Will reserve judgement as to whether or not these did the trick until I heat cycle them a few times, but for now I am back to enjoying hearing the VVT kicking into a roar.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The APR system looks fantastic, but IMHO doesn't sound good at all. With a catless DP it's even worse. Cruising / taking off with this system sounds kinda lifeless. Overall tone is just kinda flat and boring. AWE's system sounds good, but comes in so many pieces something is pretty much guaranteed to leak. APR also has a similar number of pieces. Too many clamps.

I had the Milltek system on my car briefly and one of the valves would literally squeak when opening / closing. It was actually comical and sounded cheap. Not great for a Golf R. Ended up with the MK7.5 Borla system and couldn't be happier. You can choose your tips, there are far fewer pieces, everything is pre-welded and the system fit like a glove. I'd give them a look.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I felt the APR system sounded good with the stock downpipe but was too loud and raspy with a catted downpipe. I'd be curious to try out the Borla, as I've had good luck with their stuff in the past. Will wait until Summit Racing carries it and offers a sale tho

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
After reading numerous exhaust threads, I really miss my V8-powered cars. Is it because the overwhelming majority of GTI and R owners never owned one, or most care about MPG?

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
After reading numerous exhaust threads, I really miss my V8-powered cars. Is it because the overwhelming majority of GTI and R owners never owned one, or most care about MPG?

Not sure what you're referring to? You can't make a GTI or R sound like a V8. They're never going to sound that good. I wanted a hot hatch, those generally have 4 cylinder turbo motors, not a V8. I didn't want a camaro or a mustang.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

I have lovely teenage memories of cruising all over with a friend in his Ram-Air 1969 Pontiac GTO, and a hair raising ride with a neighbor who had a 1967 L88 Corvette with the factory side-pipes. While the acceleration in both cars was wondrous, what I remember most was that visceral bellowing coming out of the exhausts, coupled with the pulsations I literally felt in the seat of my pants. It brings a smile to me, even today. So, while a cat-back exhaust might not make my R any faster, and it won't produce the same rumble of a V8, getting even half-way there, aurally, is added satisfaction likely to be worth the $2K investment. Smiles are what driving an R is all about anyhow, isn't it?

Rizzo1

Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The APR system looks fantastic, but IMHO doesn't sound good at all. With a catless DP it's even worse. Cruising / taking off with this system sounds kinda lifeless. Overall tone is just kinda flat and boring. AWE's system sounds good, but comes in so many pieces something is pretty much guaranteed to leak. APR also has a similar number of pieces. Too many clamps.

I had the Milltek system on my car briefly and one of the valves would literally squeak when opening / closing. It was actually comical and sounded cheap. Not great for a Golf R. Ended up with the MK7.5 Borla system and couldn't be happier. You can choose your tips, there are far fewer pieces, everything is pre-welded and the system fit like a glove. I'd give them a look.

How do you choose the tips? I called Borla and asked them if I could choose different tips and they said I couldn’t.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
How do you choose the tips? I called Borla and asked them if I could choose different tips and they said I couldn’t.

Interesting.

I called and spoke with them several times during the ordering process. Also, the system had just come out, so I was asking lots of questions / trying to time everything.

During one of my calls, I asked the rep I spoke with if there were other tip options available. He stated that as long as the system wasn't completed / boxed up, I could look at the other options available. I never took it any further than that due to the fact that my system had shipped out the day before. I didn't know this at the time.

Borla made it seem as if tips were an option. Take the MK7 system for example. It has double walled rolled edges for tips. How could they not have this available, especially if you are a paying customer? I'd call back and see if you can speak with someone else.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not sure what you're referring to? You can't make a GTI or R sound like a V8. They're never going to sound that good. I wanted a hot hatch, those generally have 4 cylinder turbo motors, not a V8. I didn't want a camaro or a mustang.

Nah, I just miss the sound of a V8. An 8 in a Golf is possible but it would cost too much.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I installed the adapters today and the noise is gone during a 30 min test drive. I am a little skeptical because the adapters they replaced looked very similar to the naked eye, but perhaps it was a tolerance issue on the manufacture of the original pieces.

Will reserve judgement as to whether or not these did the trick until I heat cycle them a few times, but for now I am back to enjoying hearing the VVT kicking into a roar.

I know this is an old thread, but since it got bumped....any update?