GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR exhaust valve rattle?

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I know this is an old thread, but since it got bumped....any update?
Rattle came back, I need to make a video update. It happens upon deceleration at lower rpm, like coasting thru neighborhoods. Thankfully its much less pronounced so its livable hence my delay to contact APR about it.

Now that the exhaust is older its also easier to see that the clamps, specially before the rear mufflers, dont seal very well. I have a nice black skidmark past the coupler.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
After reading numerous exhaust threads, I really miss my V8-powered cars. Is it because the overwhelming majority of GTI and R owners never owned one, or most care about MPG?
In 1999, I was 17 and had a 1970 Mustang coupe when with a Winsor in it. Not the most desirable engine but sounded good. I later had a VR6 GTI that I think sounded even better. I don’t think most enthusiasts of these cars give 2 shits about mpg in the make or break sense of their decision. They’re maneuverable, agile, practical, and have sexy budget euro styling. Yes I used an Oxford comma, come at me bro.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Would you buy this again or go with something else?
There’s nothing else on the market that uses the stock servos and OEM actuation with the MK6 style dual muffler cans. I don’t want to ruin my car with wiring for valve remotes either. A big plus is that the exhaust regardless of comfort or sport mode (with an aftermarket DP) doesn’t drone at highway speeds… unfortunately as flawed and expensive as it is there’s nothing else to compare with my criteria in mind so I would buy it again (preferably cheaper lol)

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I bought mine used-resonated, valved. The seller said it had the upgraded valve mechanism, and I don’t hear any rattle-99% of the time. Occasionally on cold start I hear some rattle, but it goes away or is drowned out. I’m also using a catted DP, so the whole system is neighbor friendly/relatively not loud.

jaysian

Passed Driver's Ed
mk7.5. installed the APR valved exhaust - valve rattling started happening after about a month this summer... APR warrantied the axleback portion and also instructed me to stretch the OEM springs. (rattle only appeared at at idle and low rpm)

So far have had the replaced axleback for about 2 months. no rattle so far. I couldn't tell what changes they actually made from the replacement axleback. I suspect that it has to do more with stretching the OEM springs vertically ever so slightly to provide more spring tension between the electric actuator and APR valve assembly.

Will see what a canadian winter does to the exhaust...

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
When I started this thread I was on the fence about getting the APR cat-back. I liked the sound (as much as a YouTube video played through headphones can duplicate), the apparent build quality, but boy was the price steep. Anyhow, several months back, I took the plunge. I'm glad I did. The installation was clean, aside from having to make a slight dent in the pipe to clear the beefier 034 rear anti-sway bar I had installed. The sound hit my intended sweet-spot of being louder and deeper, without being obnoxious. And surprisingly, my wife actually likes it, saying that it went from a purr to a soft growl. But I have two reasons in writing back now: first, to let you know that I've had no rattles whatsoever, and second, to say "thanks" to everyone who weighed in which helped me a lot in making the decision to buy these pipes.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I wound up coding my flaps open. Originally I got so much drone they were annoying. Either I'm used to it now or I have so much carbon buildup on the inside of the pipes and mufflers the sound mellowed out.