GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
The EFR kit used to be available here in the UK but the main APR distribution company Awesome GTI had a nightmare with it after it detonated the engine with a rod thru the block.
APR calibrators we’re here for some time trying to refine software.
I’m not sure the reasoning for the failure but I remember it went bang at my local garage Retro Resus.
The car was on a stock block running in excess of 500 bhp hence probably why it went bang. No good for customers paying the bill for such an expensive failure.

Not sure how long I’ll keep my car I’ve owned it new in 2016 and it’s now on 44k.

Trouble is new MK8 doesn’t do it for me and new RS3 is hideously expensive here in the UK.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Then thats out the window until they can enable the end user to flash tunes as needed. I'm not going to have to make a trip to an APR dealer everytime I want to swap between pump 93 and E85.
This is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
This is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

For me at least, being unable to switch between tunes at the end user level is the Achilles heel for this set up which is a bummer as it looks great otherwise.

Even if they made it where you could select 2 tunes at the time of install and have those loaded and switchable for the user would be sufficient. If you wanted/needed to alter your either of your preset tunes later, THEN you would need to go visit an APR dealer to have your settings updated.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
No, APR won't.

Stage 2 requires an aftermarket downpipe and Arin has repeatedly said it will not happen. The tune can't be EPA compliant with any aftermarket downpipe.

If anyone wants to add an aftermarket downpipe it would require a custom tune to be optimal and it won't be EPA compliant.
And EQT said they would gladly tune this turbo with aftermarket downpipe. Ed also suggested by the specs what turbo it is likely based on to give an idea of what power to expect

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
For me at least, being unable to switch between tunes at the end user level is the Achilles heel for this set up which is a bummer as it looks great otherwise.

Even if they made it where you could select 2 tunes at the time of install and have those loaded and switchable for the user would be sufficient. If you wanted/needed to alter your either of your preset tunes later, THEN you would need to go visit an APR dealer to have your settings updated.
This is my situation as well, I need to be able to switch between 93 and 91 depending on location. Right now I am running EQT 93 tune, but if I end up in an area that don't have 93 I switch to the COBB 91 until I can refill with 93.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is my situation as well, I need to be able to switch between 93 and 91 depending on location. Right now I am running EQT 93 tune, but if I end up in an area that don't have 93 I switch to the COBB 91 until I can refill with 93.

If you can't run 93 all the time, why not just tune for 91? The gains from going from 91 to 93 are extremely negligible, like 2%, and I'd be willing to bet nobody would be able to even tell the difference. Doesn't seem to be worth the hassle of having to tune juggle...

Last edited:

sheeno

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I have APR stage 3+ right now and am in CA. I have smog due next year and I am dreading getting it passed with the new ECU verification that went into effect last July. Would it make sense to swap the EFR7163 for this turbo and stock downpipe for emissions compliance after (if*) APR gets CARB certification? Is anyone else in the same boat?

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
Do you get a lot of Smog (I assume smoke) from your car? Or is this to do with CO2 emissions?

Tuning cars worldwide is becoming more and more difficult hence I see why owners of some brands can only rely of tuning boxes for their cars.

sheeno

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Not really. Some gas smell on cold start but it's less than when I had the catted CTS downpipe on stage 2.
California is running a checksum for stock ECU files. Even with no other modifications, you will fail smog with the aftermarket tune if it doesn't have CARB certification. I assume I can't run the stock tune with the Stage 3 turbo since the wastegate is pneumatic.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I’m running a APR Stage 2 Golf R and not a GTI.

Ideally I would like to have seen APR develop a ROW kit that gives circa 450-475bhp and 420-430lbs with a reliable good quality turbo. Many of the 500bhp units are very laggy and disappoint many here in the UK as a daily drivers.
Why not use the Garrett stage 1? It's precisely in line with your requirements and you don't need APR's CARB exemption in the UK.

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Many of the 500bhp units are very laggy and disappoint many here in the UK as a daily drivers.
Any stage 3 will be laggy compared to a stock IS38 , sounds like people not understanding what happens when you change to a higher flowing turbo,not disgusting their expectations with the tuners .
Cheers

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
@Arin@APR Any 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. times measured on the R to share?