GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
As there’s not much going on with going further on the MK7/7.5 for stage 2 customers your choice is going away from APR to Littco, TTV4/5 or Garrett

I’m not investing big sums to an old car with potential DSG / Diff breakages / rod thru block or heat management.

How’s APR getting on witMK8R?
Has the code been released to crack the ECU??

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Maybe I missed this in the multiple threads but how does it work if you go full hog and buy the MPI kit? Are you limited to only running E60/E85 or can you run off of 93 if ethanol is not available? Do you need to switch tunes or does the ECU auto detect what you're supplying to it and adjust accordingly?

Thx

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Maybe I missed this in the multiple threads but how does it work if you go full hog and buy the MPI kit? Are you limited to only running E60/E85 or can you run off of 93 if ethanol is not available? Do you need to switch tunes or does the ECU auto detect what you're supplying to it and adjust accordingly?

Thx

With MPI installed, you can run any of the octanes. It just enables and gets more power when running the E85 tune.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Oh well it’s not really worth going away from my stage 2 that has 400bhp and 420lb after spending a fair amount on hardware. The low end shove is very good on the IS38. In fact it’s probably the better daily car to drive without spending excess £’s just for bragging rights.

There’s an interesting article by John Barker in EVO Mag (One of the most established motoring Mags worldwide) here in the UK comparing two modified Golf R’s saying the lower powered quick spooling turbo’s R’s (450bhp) v 500 TTV5. It would appear the lower powered car was quicker on the circuit due to its quick spool.
Maybe APR could develop this turbo to work better than IS38 using stage 2 hardware to give a quick spooling 450bhp output that’s a direct replacement to the IS38??
When you are talking about regular turbos the size has almost everything to do with how quickly it will spool. Yes on a tighter short track you want power as quickly as you can get it. Hell you always want power as quickly as you can get it. However if you go to a high speed track with long straights the larger turbo may turn in better times because of the higher speeds you can pull on the straights if you top end power is significantly enhanced.

The technology exists to have both a larger turbo and quick spool up but you won't get it for these prices. Some of the cutting edge stuff would be turbos with an electric boost helper to spin up the turbo almost instantly which means instead of the usual power curve of a standard turbo you get a power curve that is much more desirable.

Your IS38 is great, wouldn't make sense to move up to this kit because you have a GTI with IS38 and the gains may not be significant for you. For folks with R's and S3 etc that want more out of their IS38 they have the option of going MPI and E85 which should give them a good boost of power over the stock setup. This kit of course makes great sense for folks who have stock turbo GTIs. And importantly want to be able to get that kind of power and be emissions legal.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Thx for clarifying the MPI for me - especially that the MPI tune will handle all fuels so no tune switching would be needed.

Next question is at what point do the internals need to be beefed up to deal with the added power? I am assuming that the stock R internals can handle, let's say, the big bump in power on E85?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
We always ran on the stock internals with this kit. This setup does not spike torque hard or run on the edge of what the factory rods and pistons have been known to handle, making it as safe on the stock engine as we can for these power levels.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
Then thats out the window until they can enable the end user to flash tunes as needed. I'm not going to have to make a trip to an APR dealer everytime I want to swap between pump 93 and E85.

Thx for the clarification.

Ianb

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Edition 30 Golf GTI
When you are talking about regular turbos the size has almost everything to do with how quickly it will spool. Yes on a tighter short track you want power as quickly as you can get it. Hell you always want power as quickly as you can get it. However if you go to a high speed track with long straights the larger turbo may turn in better times because of the higher speeds you can pull on the straights if you top end power is significantly enhanced.

The technology exists to have both a larger turbo and quick spool up but you won't get it for these prices. Some of the cutting edge stuff would be turbos with an electric boost helper to spin up the turbo almost instantly which means instead of the usual power curve of a standard turbo you get a power curve that is much more desirable.

Your IS38 is great, wouldn't make sense to move up to this kit because you have a GTI with IS38 and the gains may not be significant for you. For folks with R's and S3 etc that want more out of their IS38 they have the option of going MPI and E85 which should give them a good boost of power over the stock setup. This kit of course makes great sense for folks who have stock turbo GTIs. And importantly want to be able to get that kind of power and be emissions legal.

I’m running a APR Stage 2 Golf R and not a GTI.

Ideally I would like to have seen APR develop a ROW kit that gives circa 450-475bhp and 420-430lbs with a reliable good quality turbo. Many of the 500bhp units are very laggy and disappoint many here in the UK as a daily drivers.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I’m running a APR Stage 2 Golf R and not a GTI.

Ideally I would like to have seen APR develop a ROW kit that gives circa 450-475bhp and 420-430lbs with a reliable good quality turbo. Many of the 500bhp units are very laggy and disappoint many here in the UK as a daily drivers.

I think they do make a ROW kit that will put out that kind of power. They have a kit with the BW EFR 7163 turbo. Although I did not buy an APR kit I did run the BW EFR7163 on my MKV GTI and it was not laggy at all. It would be a very nice upgrade for your current setup. When I reference not laggy I have had a number of turbo cars and the MKV went from stock to K04 to EFR 7163. Power came on just a few hundred rpm higher than my K04. I used that car as a track car and in putting it together turbo lag is something I could not have and the car delivered power like a K04 with early power and a very broad power band.