GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I have DTR S3. R600 intake and factory intercooler on 93. Running 12.2
You need an upgraded intercooler. Someone else ran the DTR on a factory intercooler and it didn't perform well for them. I have a do88 awaiting install. The intercoolers to get are do88, APR, Wagner, and IE imo. Mishimoto is also good.

MQBGOD

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Audi S3,
You need an upgraded intercooler. Someone else ran the DTR on a factory intercooler and it didn't perform well for them. I have a do88 awaiting install. The intercoolers to get are do88, APR, Wagner, and IE imo. Mishimoto is also good.
Think a intercooler will gain me some mph? I know the APR intercooler is the best direct fit. My boy runs a do88 on his votex xl. Also still kinda debating on just throwing a downpipe on with a spacer for 02 for the hell of it to see if it does anything and log it. Just kinda bummed going from a basic stage 1 to a stage 3 larger turbo and perform the same if not slightly worse LOL.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Think a intercooler will gain me some mph? I know the APR intercooler is the best direct fit. My boy runs a do88 on his votex xl. Also still kinda debating on just throwing a downpipe on with a spacer for 02 for the hell of it to see if it does anything and log it. Just kinda bummed going from a basic stage 1 to a stage 3 larger turbo and perform the same if not slightly worse LOL.
It will. You're most likely experiencing a lot of heat soak. A bigger turbo than stock whilst on the factory intercooler is a no-go. Upgraded intercoolers are even recommended for anyone who goes Stage 1. That's most likely the main culprit to why you haven't been getting good runs. A quality intercooler, like the do88, is a necessity.

In regards to the downpipe, I feel you. I go back and forth about it myself. Quicker spool on the turbo itself, but on APR's provided tune, it won't make much of a difference, unless you opt for a custom tune. I spent months researching/asking around a dozen or so people privately (those who've opted for a downpipe) and the consensus is that it does make the turbo a bit more livelier, but again, you'd need a custom tune to see the real benefits of the increased flow. APR's tune is built for the stock downpipe, and there's no option for a downpipe as they're whole mantra is "emissions compliance" and staying out of trouble with the EPA.

With that said, those same people I've asked haven't had any issues as of late. I know of one who owns a GTI TCR with an APR downpipe -- 3 months on it and no issues. On the APR Owners Club FB page, several people posted their testimonies. They picked up torque, given from the restrictive OEM downpipe to a high-flow catted (or even catless) downpipe, but that's basically it. There's caution that you might cause the turbo to overspin, so keep that in mind. Also, APR won't warranty anything if you ditch the OEM downpipe while using their tune.

EDIT: forgot to mention, having upgraded fueling is practically essential for us R and S3 owners to make reasonable power with this kit. HPFP and LPFP at minimum is the best we can get on pump gas. If you have E85 available, you can either use those or go a step further to and get MPI. HPFP + LPFP + MPI on E85 is the best APR has to offer. 93 octane is widely available for me, so I can only opt for the HPFP + LPFP tune.

Last edited:

Slowms3

Ready to race!
What everyone is saying is completely true. 100% need a fmic and fueling mods to get what you want out of this turbo. I went the custom tune route so getting a dp made sense. I’m on E30 now and will be running tomorrow night. Only issue it’s going to be 50 degrees and has been raining for 3 straight days. So hopefully…. The track will be in decent shape to cut a 1.7 60ft.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Three questions on the dtr.
1. Why for full e85 do they require hpfp with lpfp and mpi?
2. Can I use any lpfp that at least matches the flow of the one they use?
3. If I go custom tune does it matter if I go hpfp, lpfp, and mpi

Looking to get a bit more power but if they eventually get carb eo and ca starts checking for tunes instead of readiness I may need to flash to Apr tune every other year to pass smog.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Looking to get a bit more power but if they eventually get carb eo and ca starts checking for tunes instead of readiness I may need to flash to Apr tune every other year to pass smog.

1 - To meet fueling requirements.

2 - Maybe? We have not tested this so no guarantees.

3 - Up to the tuner.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

1. Presumably to mitigate the awful lag they want to keep it in DI scavenging as long as possible.

MQBGOD

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Audi S3,
It will. You're most likely experiencing a lot of heat soak. A bigger turbo than stock whilst on the factory intercooler is a no-go. Upgraded intercoolers are even recommended for anyone who goes Stage 1. That's most likely the main culprit to why you haven't been getting good runs. A quality intercooler, like the do88, is a necessity.

In regards to the downpipe, I feel you. I go back and forth about it myself. Quicker spool on the turbo itself, but on APR's provided tune, it won't make much of a difference, unless you opt for a custom tune. I spent months researching/asking around a dozen or so people privately (those who've opted for a downpipe) and the consensus is that it does make the turbo a bit more livelier, but again, you'd need a custom tune to see the real benefits of the increased flow. APR's tune is built for the stock downpipe, and there's no option for a downpipe as they're whole mantra is "emissions compliance" and staying out of trouble with the EPA.

With that said, those same people I've asked haven't had any issues as of late. I know of one who owns a GTI TCR with an APR downpipe -- 3 months on it and no issues. On the APR Owners Club FB page, several people posted their testimonies. They picked up torque, given from the restrictive OEM downpipe to a high-flow catted (or even catless) downpipe, but that's basically it. There's caution that you might cause the turbo to overspin, so keep that in mind. Also, APR won't warranty anything if you ditch the OEM downpipe while using their tune.

EDIT: forgot to mention, having upgraded fueling is practically essential for us R and S3 owners to make reasonable power with this kit. HPFP and LPFP at minimum is the best we can get on pump gas. If you have E85 available, you can either use those or go a step further to and get MPI. HPFP + LPFP + MPI on E85 is the best APR has to offer. 93 octane is widely available for me, so I can only opt for the HPFP +

EDIT: forgot to mention, having upgraded fueling is practically essential for us R and S3 owners to make reasonable power with this kit. HPFP and LPFP at minimum is the best we can get on pump gas. If you have E85 available, you can either use those or go a step further to and get MPI. HPFP + LPFP + MPI on E85 is the best APR has to offer. 93 octane is widely available for me, so I can only opt for the HPFP + LPFP tune.
Do you have the DTR specific dsg tune?
The shift points need to be up over 7k rpm.
Yup stage 3 TCU. Shifts at 7200

MQBGOD

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Audi S3,
I just remembered, for what it's worth, the gti tune makes more power vs the R tune unless you do all the bolt-ons. Maybe that's an explanation for the disappointment?
And also the GTI weighs like 400lb less than my s3. Also I read up that you have a downpipe on your DTR? I’m debating on throwing a downpipe on still on APR’s tune, think it will flow better or be worth doing so? I have AWE switchpath exhaust right now .

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
And also the GTI weighs like 400lb less than my s3. Also I read up that you have a downpipe on your DTR? I’m debating on throwing a downpipe on still on APR’s tune, think it will flow better or be worth doing so? I have AWE switchpath exhaust right now .
Yeah, I put the downpipe in maybe 2 weeks after with a o2 spacer for good measure. Not sure if necessary, but inexpensive enough to try.

I've had a CEL maybe a half dozen times (227000, o2 stuck lean) but either I clear it or it self- clears after a couple drives. Zero perfomance change from the code.
It's only ever come on when the car's still warming up and I'm too low in rpm on the freeway. I drive in manual and sometimes I punch it before downshifting, because derp.

I'm under the impression it's either the sensor itself, or I need to adjust the spacer in a thread, but the lead tech at my local vw said it's not a code worth worrying about, if I remember correctly. there Is st least one thread on reddit if a guy with no spacer and no codes, so who knows.

MQBGOD

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Audi S3,
Was finally able to run a decent time. Still stock 93 on factory intercooler and
Fueling.

Attachments

• D43AE7BE-46C8-4B4C-9114-D2AB2B266C75.jpeg
    D43AE7BE-46C8-4B4C-9114-D2AB2B266C75.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 129