GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Im glad I didn't go with an XL, I prefer faster spool over more power. The DTR in this instance still spools slower than an XL. All in all, the DTR can get you the same peak power as a Vortex standard, but what you gain in the wallet you loose in turbo lag. I think the GT2260S would be the cheaper and faster-spooling option over the DTR.

View attachment 264358
Good synopsis - DTR peak numbers have mostly been in line with expectations, power curve and street/track performance unfortunately have not. That’s why I’m most curious to see how the guy’s best efforts to address lag have (or haven’t) resulted in real world performance gains over the basic stock DP setup the turbo was intended for.

Granted at the point you’re running a DP with a protune, you probably should have gotten a Vortex standard.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It's not a claim. It's what the dyno said.

This is a european spec car in the middle east. Most everyone outside the USA does the rundown test after the pull to back calculate crank figures. The numbers quoted were from the dyno. Not an assumption on our end.
No, actually they claimed 458whp.

1667330646134.png

Clearly they applied a standard 15% rundown, right down to the fraction of a fucking HP. They didn't do an actual rundown. You guys just went on ahead and extended that tape measure to the balls.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
No, actually they claimed 458whp.

I took the power figures directly from the customers story that we were tagged in, which was also printed on the dyno. The same is posted by the customer on his page, and the dealer / tuner on their page.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Don’t these cars lose closer to 11% through drivetrain? So you’re saying 526 is not accurate because it may have been reverse engineered from a blanket 15% factor (who cares about CHP anyway?), for the sake of this conversation we are talking about the measured 458whp.

Am I missing something?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Don’t these cars lose closer to 11% through drivetrain?

It's typically not a percentage. It's mostly a static loss at each RPM - basically a specific amount of torque needed to turn everything. The problem is every dyno has a different way of reading power figures at the wheels. This is especially true in europe where they have many different dyno types. They mostly all seem to report similar power at the crank when doing a run down test, but have vastly different output at the wheels. Check out MAHA sometime and look at how much power drops off at the wheels towards redline. It's staggering and mostly not comparable to what people typically see in the states on something like a dynojet.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
*with catless DP and METH INJECTION
As stated in my initial post. The performance gains in times (not power figures) from those two things are exactly what I’m interested to see.

Doubt we’ll get them though, so back to the grave you go dead horse.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Good synopsis - DTR peak numbers have mostly been in line with expectations, power curve and street/track performance unfortunately have not. That’s why I’m most curious to see how the guy’s best efforts to address lag have (or haven’t) resulted in real world performance gains over the basic stock DP setup the turbo was intended for.

Granted at the point you’re running a DP with a protune, you probably should have gotten a Vortex standard.
I'm really thinking running a aftermarket DP would help turbo lag with the DTR. But at that point, you're right, you'd have to have a custom tune for it and it defeats the whole purpose of being emissions legal. I'm still planning on hooking up a meth kit with my car over the winter, I really think the results will be worth it. No it won't help lag, but it should help with more timing in the power band. It's all about keeping cool with this kit, which I'm guessing must be to preserve the stock cats, which makes sense.

The MPI topic makes sense for a few reasons, just having the extra fuel flow on hand, plus the cleaning of the intake ports and valves is a nice to have thing too. It just stinks going MPI is so pricey, and specifically for this kit, an R/S3 exclusive option.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I'm really thinking running a aftermarket DP would help turbo lag with the DTR.
It does. There's probably room for a slightly refined tune, but it's still safe and wakes it up a bit.

I was already running APR stage 2 so it was the most economical return on investment to go this route. Had I gone down the Cobb AP path rather than APR from the get-go, it would make sense to spend a few hundred extra for a tune. I couldn't justify the $2k extra for parts/tuning to yield a few more hp at the wheels (not including mpi and fueling). It's seriously not practical as I'm not doing 100+mph pulls all that often.... the DTR gets me there plenty quick... for now lol.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well unfortunately for yall ill never know if my car would pass emissions or what caused the fuel system not ready. Sold my car and got something as fast as it was for less than half the price for the wife.

It is Apr stage 1. Of course :p
20221107_180556.jpg

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The APR DTR6054 now supports the ROW / European / Non-USA/Canada Markets!

Details
https://goapr.io/rowdtr

This ROW release is designed for use on Rest of World (ROW) / European / Non-USA / Non-Canadian market vehicles that feature a 2.0T EA888.3 engine with an IS20 factory turbocharger. Typical vehicles include the MQB Audi A3, Q3, S1, SQ2, and TT, VW Jetta / GLI, Golf GTI, and Tiguan, Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon, and more with manual and DSG/S-Tronic transmissions. This includes both Simos 18 and Simos 18.10 ECUs, and both GPF/OPF and Non-GPF/OPF based vehicles. Software support for IS38 factory turbocharger based vehicles such as the MQB Golf R, S3, and similar platform vehicles are still in development but not available at this time.

Please note:

Specific software is required to use this system. Software is included for various vehicles. Software compatibility must be checked before purchase. If no software is found, a software request must be made and filled before purchase. The software installs to your vehicle's factory ECU. Software can only be installed by an Authorized APR dealer.

This system reuses your factory electronic wastegate and electronic diverter valve. To safely achieve the advertised power use an upgraded Intake and Intercooler. To prevent clutch slip use our transmission software or a manual clutch upgrade. Use APR spark plugs or NGK heat range 9 (NGKR7437-9) spark plugs gapped to 0.024" ±0.002" or 0.6mm ±0.05mm with a change interval of 10-15,000 mi or 16-24,000 km. Always use a high performance oil with more frequent change intervals.

To fit this system with APR Compressor Outlet Pipes, use the APR DTR6054 Compressor Outlet Hose Conversion Kit (MS100213).

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I highly recommend this for DTR customers not happy with pedal feel.

Product Page
Product Page
Product Page

The APR Throttle Booster instantly transforms the way your vehicle feels by customizing how quicky your throttle or accelerator pedal works. Simply plug it in and either use the wireless controller or smart phone app to set or customize how the pedal feels. Most people don't like the way their throttle pedal feels, and while tuning can help eliminate lag, everyone has a different opinion about how it should feel. This device lets you set it exactly the way you want and allows you to quickly switch between profiles. Set it to stock, sport modes, extreme modes, and eco modes with ease. Best of all, it's a quick plug and play device that can be removed at any time.

Features:

• Improves throttle response and transforms the feel of the vehicle
  • Multiple switchable profiles including various sport modes, eco modes, and custom maps
  • Custom throttle mapping allows you to perfectly tune your throttle pedal
  • Thin and classy wireless controller
  • Bluetooth iOS and Android mobile app
  • No clunky boxes, wires, or controllers like other devices
  • Quick and easy plug-and-play design that is removable without a trace
  • Works on gas, diesel, alternative fuel, and electric vehicles
  • 30-day money back guarantee

[video]

iOS App
Android App

PCU (Pedal Control Unit)

Wireless Controller

App

Product Page
Product Page
Product Page
APR Throttle Booster with Wireless Controller and iOS/Android App!

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
When your throttle mapping is so bad people would rather pay $250 than learn to move their foot more
Right!? I'm actually in the opposite boat right now. Having been accustomed to a more linear pedal on the v2.02 Stage 1 file, I'm finding the initial travel on v1.01 IS38 OE DP file a bit aggressive (made the jump this past weekend). Am I complaining? No...it's relearning how to drive the car.

Unfortunately I think I'm in a slice of the market that is getting left behind. I'm finding the delivery of the IS38 exactly what I wanted in the car. APR is pushing the DTR kit hard, but not going to bother bringing the OE DP file up to v2 "spec". Ironic they only updated the DP files as they were gearing up for OE DP support only. 🤣