GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
As anyone actually tested the vortex/stock downpipe scenario. I know it wouldn't be as cheap as this set-up from APR but I'm curious as to the results.
A local (to me) owner got his 7.5 R with an XL tuned on stock DP and 93 octane - hasn’t posted anything since he was supposed to get it back from the shop. Going to a meet this Friday, if he’s there I’ll ask for an update.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
awesome! get as much info as possible dude you know what we need! haha

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I simply don't see why you can't tune any of the common "normal size" turbos with the stock DP? So you leave some power on the table.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I simply don't see why you can tune any of the common "normal size" turbos with the stock DP? So you leave some power on the table.
I did it so I wouldn’t have to hassle with DP purchase, install, and potential emissions issues. I don’t mind leaving power on the table as it’s plenty. Still pushing 31-32 psi @ ~5500’.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I did it so I wouldn’t have to hassle with DP purchase, install, and potential emissions issues. I don’t mind leaving power on the table as it’s plenty. Still pushing 31-32 psi @ ~5500’.
Exactly. So you don't max it but so easy to get past emissions.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I think it depends on your goals. Low end, like 0 - 80, this doesn't seem any better, if not worse, than a stage 1 IS38. However, has more top end once you get passed that.
Granted is is only one Golf R data point but @Patrykd07 ran a few 7.4* 1/8 mile Dragy ETs at ~95 mph. That is a tenth quicker and ~2-3 mph faster than APR's stage 2 R ran.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
than APR's stage 2 R ran.
*Than his car ran with APR Stage 2.

I don’t think we have many official 1/4 mile times from APR - one of the reasons the thread dragged on half as long as it has

Edit: I actually don’t recall if he was ever Stage 2 or just went DTR from Stage 1, so fact check me on that.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
*Than his car ran with APR Stage 2.

I don’t think we have many official 1/4 mile times from APR - one of the reasons the thread dragged on half as long as it has

Edit: I actually don’t recall if he was ever Stage 2 or just went DTR from Stage 1, so fact check me on that.
Patry was Stage 2 by Unitronic before he switched to APR's DTR and fueling. I don't understand why APR hasn't posted any times, like they used to in the past.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Oh I forgot lol. My bad.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
I've been lurking on this thread for a while, and thought I'd throw this up there in case anyone wants to go the Full Monty and do the APR DTR6054 full stack from intake to throttle body. I did this over the summer when I was considering the upgrade but never pulled the trigger. The APR website was confusing, and it took a little digging, and it still might not be right.

APR DTR6054 components 1.jpg

APR DTR6054 Parts List.jpg

Attachments

• APR DTR6054 components 1.jpg
    APR DTR6054 components 1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 151
  • APR DTR6054 Parts List.jpg
    APR DTR6054 Parts List.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ nice list, the DTR turbo comes with its own (different) inlet elbow pipe, so i'd scratch that off the list.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I think APR also specifically called out that their open intake was recommended, not the closed intake. Their closed intake doesn't actually flow much better than stock, at least according to that guy that flow tested a bunch of intakes APR Intake Flow Test

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
^ nice list, the DTR turbo comes with its own (different) inlet elbow pipe, so i'd scratch that off the list.

Thanks, yup, I knew that was included and marked the graphic and the price list to indicate that it's included. Even if the elbow that comes with the kit is different from the stand-alone item, I wanted to show it so each link in the chain is on there.

AsheToo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7.5 GTI Autobahn
I think APR also specifically called out that their open intake was recommended, not the closed intake. Their closed intake doesn't actually flow much better than stock, at least according to that guy that flow tested a bunch of intakes APR Intake Flow Test
Yeah, the open intake flows better, no doubt. I didn't know that when I did this back in the summer, and I also wonder if the open box draws in hot under-hood air vs. colder air and if that matters. Either way, info above updated accordingly.