GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

thatgolfrguy

I think that is their goal. We submit all the data to CARB, and then wait. No rhyme or reason as to when things get approved, sometimes a few weeks, sometimes 18+ months.

Do you have an intake? Like any bigger turbo, the DTR is sensitive to that. I would have at least our open intake (CI100040/41) or some other future, upcoming intake... :cool:
Hey Tom. I'm gonna be putting the DTR on my 2019 R. Already have the APR closed intake and intercooler. Do you think I'm going to need to upgrade my intake?

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
1) Removing the roof rack added ~2mph.
2) Ambient temp and humidity dropped significantly after a recent storm.
3) AC fan has always been off during passes but yesterday I hit the button to turn it off-off, I doubt that has anything to do with it, just mentioning differences.
4) Could be something janky happening with the boost by gear FWD tune. You can see from my Dragy I gained 2 tenths from the 0-60mph and over 1mph in the 1/8.

Whatever it was it wasn’t a fluke, I did back to back 115 and 116mph runs last night.
I've said it before.. I'll say it again. It's because of your intake temps and APR's safety parameters built into the tune. On a cold night and on the street after you've had plenty of air pass through the intercooler, your intake temps are going to be MUCH lower then sitting in a staging line at the track on a hot day. This makes a HUGE difference in power with this kit. I've experienced it first hand with the same sort of mph gains and confirmed my theory with APR. With the ticket I had open with APR it's regarded as expected behavior, hence why I was suggested to install a meth kit to run in the area of the map with most amount of timing and power.

So no, not a fluke at all. Expected behavior.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
I've said it before.. I'll say it again. It's because of your intake temps and APR's safety parameters built into the tune. On a cold night and on the street after you've had plenty of air pass through the intercooler, your intake temps are going to be MUCH lower then sitting in a staging line at the track on a hot day. This makes a HUGE difference in power with this kit. I've experienced it first hand with the same sort of mph gains and confirmed my theory with APR. With the ticket I had open with APR it's regarded as expected behavior, hence why I was suggested to install a meth kit to run in the area of the map with most amount of timing and power.

Very interesting. Wonder if that open intake will help :p

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I read through a decent amount of comments from that video. A bunch of them share the same sentiment as this comment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220918_085745.jpg
    Screenshot_20220918_085745.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 132

tigeo

Autocross Champion

This has been my experience - my track times are much lower than what I can do on the street for the reasons you state.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
yo dawg, we heard you wanted cheaper, discrete intakes so we made this carbon fiber behemoth.
And I thought mine was egregious...

20220909_115308.jpg

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
yo dawg, we heard you wanted cheaper, discrete intakes so we made this carbon fiber behemoth.
Wait until you hear the price, customizability, and performance.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
MK7 controversial opinion (although, usually popular around these parts) - Humongous carbon fiber intakes don't look good and very out of place, unless you go all in.

I had one for a period, decided it just didn't look right being the only piece of CF in the engine bay, and got rid of it. That's one of the things I think is best about something like the RacingLine intake. As well as being a great performer, it matches and flows well with everything else in the engine bay.

Now, if someone goes all in on CF; engine cover, battery cover, fuse cover, dipstick, etc... I think they can look fine. It's just when it's the only CF thing in your engine bay, it looks off.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R