GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
looks like about 4k which isn't bad for a stock downpipe. looks better than this turdo
From the looks of it the dp has a penalty of 100-200 rpm, this is also the XL, I’d imagine the standard would hit full boost around 3600.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Did a bit of research in Mexico today:

Whooped a decaled-up Kia Stinger with pops and bangs and LED intake snorkels (thanks Google, didn’t know that was a thing) from 50-110, 3 lengths or so tonight. Such a satisfying W. It was so loud I expected much more out of it.

Earlier in the day I hung with a MK5 Supra GR through a few pulls to ~90, also with pops and bangs, must be something in the air around here… Hit some traffic before we could really get into it, but he def couldn’t pull away. He did have a passenger though, so I’ll give him that.

Honorable mention was a tinted out but most likely stock A8 4.0t. He tried from 70, not even close to close. He tried again when I let off, and I put a bus on him again.

And for comic relief, some unknown diesel dually pickup (Chevy, Dodge? beats me) saw what I did to the A8 and wanted some action. He aggressively switched lanes and hammered it to pass me, I let him get close and then put an ungodly gap on him. He wouldn’t stop trying though! I gapped him twice, and then the third time I just stayed on it and watched him disappear until he finally let off and took an exit.

Maybe I could be having fun 400rpm sooner with a Vortex XL, but this ain’t half bad either.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Noone ever tried to race me. Maybe its cause i dont have the apr wiper delete yet

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3

So now that it's EQT with the Vortex XL suddenly the peak torque and spool isn't "WaY To LAAAaaggY"? It's great for everyone that options are coming out for the OE downpipe, but it's one car with one protune. In due time maybe this will become some form of an OTS tune, who knows, or maybe it will shit out a catalytic converter in a month. The circle jerk with this is insufferable.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion

So now that it's EQT with the Vortex XL suddenly the peak torque and spool isn't "WaY To LAAAaaggY". It's great for everyone that options are coming out for the OE downpipe, but it's one car with one protune. In due time maybe this will become some form of an OTS tune, who knows, or maybe it will shit out a catalytic converter in a month. The circle jerk with this is insufferable.
The XL is the darling tried and true turbo, naturally ppl are gonna fanboy. Nevermind that this is 7 revisions on a protune. APR got close on an OTS tune included with a turbo for less than the cost of the Vortex alone.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The cost of the Cobb / eqt software is around the price of the apr kit.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
I guess the takeaway point is: no duh EQT can tune a Vortex XL on a stock downpipe. Throw time and money at it and anything is possible.

Then again I spent time and money on the APR kit and a new engine so what do I know. Sunk costs is a helluva drug 🥲

Boloc

Car(s)
20’ GTI
So…uh…after 4,658 posts…has anyone with a GTI and DTR kit with stock fueling and stock DP ran the 1/4 mile with times to back it up?

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
So…uh…after 4,658 posts…has anyone with a GTI and DTR kit with stock fueling and stock DP ran the 1/4 mile with times to back it up?
Not yet. It’s been hot AF here and still need to get a helmet. Hoping September cools off.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Yes.

2015 SE DSG, 4dr, non-PP (open diff). DTR, 93 octane AWD tune + DSG tune, IE FDS V2 stock location IC, AFE drop-in filter. Neuspeed RSE10s w/ inflated 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires.

13.042 @ 111.44 mph ET, 2.33 60’

EA2B931D-7782-41F5-8BE4-E29AB8E1EEDB.jpeg

Unfortunately I never aired out my tires and I was running a roof rack and fairing which appears to have cost me at a few mph off my trap speed. I was also hitting an ESC light and spinning into 3rd with the AWD tune.

I’m now on the FWD file without the roof rack and am trapping 113 mph per Dragy on the street.

1B884A25-579F-4CEA-8C44-3A517A576C5C.jpeg

Airing out my tires should improve my 60’ a bit and see high-12’s @ 113mph - and that trap speed seems to be a fairly consistent with full weight MQB’s. Haven’t seen a non-APR employee post a higher trap yet.

DTR times are not not big turbo territory, more on par with FBO IS38 on pump gas. Definitely an improvement from stage 1 though (#125 below):
33559CA7-2B63-4EE3-AC46-E0C436F05721.jpeg

Last edited: