messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
1660858166159.gif

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
An update on the Emissions Readiness -

All the DTR cars we have here set that Fuel System Monitor - '17 and '18 GTI, '19. '20, and '21 GLI, and a '19 Golf R. Our '19 R does have the upgraded fueling, and it does set.

We are 99.9% sure that the '15-16 GTI should set fine because they are very similar to the later cars, but we are working to confirm that.

The only support tickets of cars that do not set this monitor are from the '15-'18 Golf R/S3, specifically box codes 8V0906259E and 8V0906259H, and we are looking into those. If there is a problem, we suspect it would be with these cars ('15-18 R/S3's).

In almost every state, you will pass emissions with this monitor failed, but we are going to find out why those particular cars are not setting it.

100% agree. If you do not have a QUALITY, larger than stock, replacement intercooler in the OEM location (Golf R IC does not count), you will not make full power with the DTR. As quoted from the product page: "To safely achieve the advertised power use an upgraded Intake and Intercooler." Some cheap aftermarket OEM location and some FMIC's are not going to cut it.

Same goes for the intake - a "filter on a stick" or the stock airbox with a drop in filter are also not going to cut it.
Thank you for looking into the fuel emissions monitor. That would be great to just see it set. I know myself and @riceburner are still having trouble with that.

I hear what you are saying. As I've mentioned previously, with the bigger turbo, there is more pressure and heat so a good quality intercooler is important. Reading between the lines, it sounds like there may be preferred intercoolers recommended for the DTR specifically for consistent performance? If that is the case, is there specific intercoolers you guys recommend that work best and have consistent results with? I've had my subpar results with a Unitronic intercooler, which is an arguably "good" quality intercooler. Even according to independent testing, it is pretty much on par with the intercooler solution from APR. http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-intercooler-test/

Of course, either intercooler (APR or Unitronic) blows the stock intercooler out of the water. So I'd imagine either one of them to perform rather well.

I'd just like to know how to get consistent performance out of my DTR setup. I'd like to say my car is setup as a best scenario for the DTR kit. All the prerequisites for the kit as listed have been satisfied without the use of any "cheap" aftermarket equipment. So that's where I'm lost as to why my performance with the car is so inconsistent.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
But traps 114mph?

Does that actually make any sense...?
The conundrum of high-powered fwd cars....shitty ETs (without full-blown drag setups/tires) and great traps. The launch basically has v. little impact on your speed at the end is really all it is and trap is all about power/weight.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah thats more of a mid 11's trap. how much were you spinning OP
No....114 isn't mid-11s on an awd car, it's more like high-11s maybe low-12s.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Running 245/45/18 Michelin PS4S summer tires (not all seasons). My car is a loaded SE, non-PP, but with the PP brakes. So basically all of the weight and none of the traction 🥲

Spins pretty bad off the line even with the FWD file. Average on the street is 2.45 60’ and a 5.45 0-60mph on fully inflated tires. I hit 2.3 60’ at the track, but that was with the AWD file and also on fully inflated tires.

With the FWD file, no roof rack, and tires down to 20 psi, I should be able to solidly hit high 12s 1/4 mile at the track. Still not in line with a 113.87 mph trap, but not freakin 13s.

Not to overstate the obvious but the performance I experience on the street from a roll is drastically different from my track times - I am keeping pace/pulling on cars that are well over a second faster in the 1/4.

Edit: Replacement engine is fine, no issues to report, but no noticeable performance increase from before either.

I’m super salty though that IE is replacing a customer’s blown block for their faulty RAL file, while APR did fuck-all but ‘thoughts and prayers’ for my situation... I always thought IE was cut-rate when it came to customer service, guess sometimes big companies do step up and do the right thing.
Quite a bit of a different situation with IE - the file was clearly causing issues with some ECU box codes and not just a one-off deal.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
An update on the Emissions Readiness -

All the DTR cars we have here set that Fuel System Monitor - '17 and '18 GTI, '19. '20, and '21 GLI, and a '19 Golf R. Our '19 R does have the upgraded fueling, and it does set.

We are 99.9% sure that the '15-16 GTI should set fine because they are very similar to the later cars, but we are working to confirm that.

The only support tickets of cars that do not set this monitor are from the '15-'18 Golf R/S3, specifically box codes 8V0906259E and 8V0906259H, and we are looking into those. If there is a problem, we suspect it would be with these cars ('15-18 R/S3's).

In almost every state, you will pass emissions with this monitor failed, but we are going to find out why those particular cars are not setting it.

100% agree. If you do not have a QUALITY, larger than stock, replacement intercooler in the OEM location (Golf R IC does not count), you will not make full power with the DTR. As quoted from the product page: "To safely achieve the advertised power use an upgraded Intake and Intercooler." Some cheap aftermarket OEM location and some FMIC's are not going to cut it.

Same goes for the intake - a "filter on a stick" or the stock airbox with a drop in filter are also not going to cut it.
There are guys pushing 450 whp+ with factory air boxes.....
Thank you for looking into the fuel emissions monitor. That would be great to just see it set. I know myself and @riceburner are still having trouble with that.

I hear what you are saying. As I've mentioned previously, with the bigger turbo, there is more pressure and heat so a good quality intercooler is important. Reading between the lines, it sounds like there may be preferred intercoolers recommended for the DTR specifically for consistent performance? If that is the case, is there specific intercoolers you guys recommend that work best and have consistent results with? I've had my subpar results with a Unitronic intercooler, which is an arguably "good" quality intercooler. Even according to independent testing, it is pretty much on par with the intercooler solution from APR. http://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-intercooler-test/

Of course, either intercooler (APR or Unitronic) blows the stock intercooler out of the water. So I'd imagine either one of them to perform rather well.

I'd just like to know how to get consistent performance out of my DTR setup. I'd like to say my car is setup as a best scenario for the DTR kit. All the prerequisites for the kit as listed have been satisfied without the use of any "cheap" aftermarket equipment. So that's where I'm lost as to why my performance with the car is so inconsistent.
Your intercooler should not be an issue. Guys are running the same intercooler with significantly bigger turbo setups with good results.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
There are guys pushing 450 whp+ with factory air boxes.....

Your intercooler should not be an issue. Guys are running the same intercooler with significantly bigger turbo setups with good results.

Up next: You need APR coilpacks to get 400hp from the DTR...