GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

scrllock

Autocross Champion
How many failures have you come across on non ethanol users? 19 R here with ZERO likelihood anything other than 93. Should I be concerned?
Honestly better off asking someone who works at a dealer or a larger vw shop. I know EQT says it can happen on anything but they have an incentive to get people to pay for injector change revisions as well as keep selling people on ethanol tunes/hardware, so I take their info with a large grain of salt. Hence asking APR :)

thatgolfrguy

I just want to clarify something before I get censored for "shit posting". For the most part, speaking on the behalf of us DTR owners out here, if we have anything "bad" to say it's mostly constructive criticism, especially since we already shelled out the $$ for the kit and the install. Plus, having invested in it already, we want the kit to succeed and others to enjoy it too, this is why I posted all the data I have. I know of 4 people that bought DTR's because of my data and my word to them of my experience. I don't think any of us are sponsored to have gotten the kit for free or a discount so I feel like what we have to say is pretty genuine and not sugar coated. This is important for any potential customers looking to understand what to expect when looking for a kit like this, especially if they spend the time to research beforehand and not just jump into the kit like we had done.

I personally have had some great things to say about the kit with some pretty great results with dragy (on the street) and dyno. It's also been very reliable especially with what I've put the kit and my car through in my testing. However, it's hard to ignore that there are some elephants in the room with some customers that have hit few little snags, myself included. It's hard to ignore that and say the kit is perfect and move on. Do I think the kit is awful and capable of blowing cars up left and right? No I do not. Especially with how much I've pushed my car over this past year with this kit. I think from a calibration stand point, you guys did a great job, I still can't believe how smooth the car is, especially from a daily driver stand point.

However, I think a few important key things should be noted in an asterisk with this kit (taking about the R kit with fueling specifically).
1) 400WHP Sometimes. This is a big one. I think this is why we're seeing certain cars run vastly faster than others and vice versa in different conditions. Yes, higher IAT's will result in timing being pulled and performance suffering for safety. However, with my testing, with IAT's being in the 100F range, the performance suffers greatly with this kit. When you make two runs, and one is at 80F IAT's and the other is at 100F IAT's, that 20 degrees of difference means running ~5mph slower in the trap on a 1/8th mile pass. That's very noticeable on the street.
-Can this be addressed with a meth kit? I believe so, and I plan to add that to address the issue, but anyone living in warmer climates needs to be aware of this.

-Does this mean my upgraded intercooler is not sufficient? Im not sure, the specifications on the APR website just state that the intercooler needs to be upgraded period.

-Does this mean the car is "slow" with the DTR? Yes and no. For me personally, I'm used to stage 2 levels with my car. I'm also used to the punchiness of the IS38 in lower RPMS. So without that.. the car doesn't feel as great, especially with those higher IAT's in the summer. However, I've proven that even with the higher IAT's, the time slips and trap speeds seem about on par with that of a stage 1/2 APR car, which is still quick by all means.

-Do the higher IAT's mean the car doesn't have the advertised horsepower? I believe so, yes. All my dyno pulls that achieved 400whp had IAT's in the 60s. I'm very curious what the power output would be if the IAT's were in the 100s as you'd see typically on the street or the track in the summer. I'd be willing to bet they're more in the 340whp-350whp range like a stage 2 car would be. Again, stage 2 performance with a stock downpipe = great by all means especially being emissions legal, but not 400whp.

-But how often do my IAT's ever even go above ambient temperature let alone 100F?

-Will switching to the E85 tunes fix this issue? No. Have my sources, will not elaborate on this publicly.

2) Emissions monitors setting. I think there needs to be a document somewhere on this, specifically on letting people know the procedure to run in VCDS and OBD11 to get the emissions monitors to set. People without access to those devices may have trouble with this. People are buying this kit for sake of convenience of not having to go back and forth with tuning software. So I'm wondering if there will be an update from APR to have these set automatically.

That's really it from me. Otherwise I don't have anything bad to say from my perspective. And yes, I've had support tickets about this, and yes it's considered normal. Since it's normal, just letting people know what to expect :)
Hey! I heard that with the Golf R with fueling kit the fuel readiness emissions sensor is not set. Is this true for you or were you able to get all sensors set?

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Hey! I heard that with the Golf R with fueling kit the fuel readiness emissions sensor is not set. Is this true for you or were you able to get all sensors set?
Still true for me. I am not able to get the fuel readiness emissions to set.
1660828056993.png

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
same here
edit: i don't have an open ticket on this, to be fair. also haven't attempted to actually pass emissions here yet, which is plug-in inspection only

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
he does, all R guys do

Tom/APR1

Ready to race!
Still true for me. I am not able to get the fuel readiness emissions to set.
View attachment 258490

An update on the Emissions Readiness -

All the DTR cars we have here set that Fuel System Monitor - '17 and '18 GTI, '19. '20, and '21 GLI, and a '19 Golf R. Our '19 R does have the upgraded fueling, and it does set.

We are 99.9% sure that the '15-16 GTI should set fine because they are very similar to the later cars, but we are working to confirm that.

The only support tickets of cars that do not set this monitor are from the '15-'18 Golf R/S3, specifically box codes 8V0906259E and 8V0906259H, and we are looking into those. If there is a problem, we suspect it would be with these cars ('15-18 R/S3's).

In almost every state, you will pass emissions with this monitor failed, but we are going to find out why those particular cars are not setting it.

I will say my viewpoint in regards to IATs and performance… you results really shouldn’t even be taken into account if you are running a stock intercooler on a bigger turbo let alone even a stage 1

100% agree. If you do not have a QUALITY, larger than stock, replacement intercooler in the OEM location (Golf R IC does not count), you will not make full power with the DTR. As quoted from the product page: "To safely achieve the advertised power use an upgraded Intake and Intercooler." Some cheap aftermarket OEM location and some FMIC's are not going to cut it.

Same goes for the intake - a "filter on a stick" or the stock airbox with a drop in filter are also not going to cut it.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Some cheap aftermarket OEM location and some FMIC's are not going to cut it.

Same goes for the intake - a "filter on a stick" or the stock airbox with a drop in filter are also not going to cut it.
Ohh boy! That is going to get a lot of people's panties all bunched up.