GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Can anyone chime in before I buy? I have an aftermarket dp and am looking to upgrade the turbo with stock fueling, would this be the way to go or should I look into the vortex turbos?
I'm stock fueling, just reflashed with the v1.3 awd file. O2 spacer on the DP. So far, not a single issue. Came from APR stage 2, installed factory DP for initial run, then reinstalled downpipe with the spacer. According to the butt dyno, there's a moderate, but noticeable improvement in response and when downshifting to slow, you can sense the engine is choking less.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I'm stock fueling, just reflashed with the v1.3 awd file. O2 spacer on the DP. So far, not a single issue. Came from APR stage 2, installed factory DP for initial run, then reinstalled downpipe with the spacer. According to the butt dyno, there's a moderate, but noticeable improvement in response and when downshifting to slow, you can sense the engine is choking less.
After emailing APR, they state that the turbo may spin faster than designed after the introduction of an aftermarket DP. That is of course a "chance" that we would be taking. I've decided to go with the GT2260s instead, seeing that it offers a lot of benefit for the price.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
We can see that at least in current state of tune, it's not clearly better than an is38, even with added fuelling pumps.

A car that's slower in both 0 to 60 and in 60 to 130 is simply slower. "It's faster above 85MPH" sounds a lot like "Bro, if I hit someone full strength, I can break their nose and shoot pieces of their nose bone into their brains, killing them instantly." Just gimme the best 0 to 90- everything North of 92 MPH can lead to a week long vacation from driving and DUI level insurance impact.

The GT2260S is funny to me, because the turbo I wanted most for my Mk4 diesel was a GTB2260VK.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
We can see that at least in current state of tune, it's not clearly better than an is38, even with added fuelling pumps.

A car that's slower in both 0 to 60 and in 60 to 130 is simply slower. "It's faster above 85MPH" sounds a lot like "Bro, if I hit someone full strength, I can break their nose and shoot pieces of their nose bone into their brains, killing them instantly." Just gimme the best 0 to 90- everything North of 92 MPH can lead to a week long vacation from driving and DUI level insurance impact.

The GT2260S is funny to me, because the turbo I wanted most for my Mk4 diesel was a GTB2260VK.
We’re saying that the DTR really isn’t faster here, correct? Both turbos are fairly new and aren’t showing much for potential, though IE is claiming numbers close to 500 hp with their tune and the gt2260s.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
We’re saying that the DTR really isn’t faster here, correct? Both turbos are fairly new and aren’t showing much for potential, though IE is claiming numbers close to 500 hp with their tune and the gt2260s.
Vortex. Tpc25. FR450/500. Tomioka. Littco.etc….

Lots out there.

Last edited:

GTIChris

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Long time lurker, maybe first time poster? Don't remember which forums I used to use.

I have a 2016 GTI with about 23k miles now but I used to have a 2016 Golf R that was "Stage 2" with APR software, downpipe, IE Intercooler & Intake. This is my 4th Golf variation.

GTI was stock except for cosmetic mods, Clubsport Euro muffler and an IE air intake prior to yesterday when I picked up my car from Tyrolsport in Queens. I got the DTR installed with the APR intercooler, all the APR piping between the turbo to the throttle, APR Coil Packs (pointless probably but why not, none of this is real), NGK-R7437-9 Spark Plugs and stainless steel brake lines with RBF600. APR ECU FWD 93 Tune and APR TCU Tune were installed as well.

Going from stock it feels insane. Even with the FWD file I lose traction high into 2nd gear not giving it 100% gas. I have Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s so I know they aren't the best for it. I live in NYC and I was worried about losing power on the low end but I can tell you the car feels very smooth in stop and go traffic here during rush hour in the Williamsburg area (if you know, you know). Exhaust is slighter louder according to my fiancé and definitely noticed more people turning their heads in the city streets as they heard my car coming. The whistle from the turbo is barely noticeable to me and her, I have the insulation on my hood.

To me this feels faster than my Golf R. The GTI is lighter and makes more sense for highway pulls. The Golf R would destroy the GTI from a dig obviously. The benefits though is I can pass emissions here while my Golf R couldn't and that was a pain in the ass. The Golf R was manual and my best 1/4 was a 12.9 with a 108.7 trap speed. I think the previous owner did a 12.7 in that R. GTI is DSG so even if I get a quarter mile time it would be hard to compare. GTI feels more beastly in comparison once you open it up. Very similar to how I remember the first time I opened up the throttle on a CBR600, all high up and sucks you back into the seat.

Overall day 1 feelings = very happy!

Sorry I only have butt data for now! Any questions let me know.

Attachments

• B03F31A6-87CB-4313-AF1B-6066C3403B0C.jpg
    B03F31A6-87CB-4313-AF1B-6066C3403B0C.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Tom/APR1

Ready to race!

I'll take that Pepsi challenge any day, DTR w/DP vs IS38 w/o. DTR is faster, ESPECIALLY above 50-60mph. AND it is emissions compliant whereas the IS38 w/o DP is not. I'll get to the dragstrip or borrow a dragy when we stop having heat advisories and triple digit heat indexes, but that may not be anytime soon.

Do NOT compare the DTR to other turbo kits, it really has its own place in the market... And if you want more power, we sell a bigger kit.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
I'll take that Pepsi challenge any day, DTR w/DP vs IS38 w/o. DTR is faster, ESPECIALLY above 50-60mph. AND it is emissions compliant whereas the IS38 w/o DP is not. I'll get to the dragstrip or borrow a dragy when we stop having heat advisories and triple digit heat indexes, but that may not be anytime soon.

Do NOT compare the DTR to other turbo kits, it really has its own place in the market... And if you want more power, we sell a bigger kit.

Can we get some proof? The one person in this thread is matching Stage 2 Golf R numbers with their DTR kit. It's crazy how little independent proof or even proof from APR there is on this.

wrongwheeldrive23

Go Kart Champion

I'd be pretty dissapoonted if a DTR with a DP, couldn't gap an oem turbo stock dp