GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
420whp on 94, with full bolt-ons and a custom tune. APR claims 406whp on 93. So based on those numbers, giving up emissions compliance, getting all the bolt-ons, and the cost of a custom tune nets you less than 15hp.

That's not good at all.
As oddspyke pointed out, if you are just looking at peak HP sure, but the torque curve across the entire RPM range is vastly improved. APR's tune barely peaks at 400hp for a moment, while it looks like on EQTs tune with DP it'll hit 400+hp on 93 with a stronger, flatter curve without dipping below 400.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Unicorn 94 is like the shit they get in Ottawa. It runs a lot like E30 without the E85 mileage hit.
IMG_20220521_113501.jpg

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I would expect better back half performance from the DTR since it isn't running out of steam at the top of the RPM band. I'm kinda starting to look at it this way, before the APR downpipe was like 800 bucks and the tune was 600. This offers similar performance while maintaining emissions compliance for around the same price. Its a definite upgrade for IS20 cars but if you can get away with a downpipe you can make a lot more power other ways. This is a very innovative offering from APR and is a look to the future of modifying ICE cars moving forward.
Yeah. For me in ca I always wanted more than stage 1 but with cops popping hoods and smog that requires eo numbers I never considered a down pipe.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
don't leave out the catless DP 2-step crew tuner crew...they are to blame as well.... you know when you are behind one at a stop light and the exhaust smells like my '67 Cougar's did. As always, a minority screws it up for the majority/we can't have nice things.
Agreed, but there is a huge difference. Those you can only notice if you smell the car. 90% of car owners (and the ones that would likely complain to the EPA about it) drive with the AC on, and on RECIRC... so they are not going to smell a thing. But the black cloud left by a diesel truck will linger for a while, very hard not to notice that.

All my cars have been de-catted once I start to mod them, except my 2020 1LE and so far the GTI as I am on-hold for a trade, just waiting for the new S3/RS3 to hit the dealers close to me. I'm blaming the wide as she just bought a 2022 SQ5...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Agreed, but there is a huge difference. Those you can only notice if you smell the car. 90% of car owners (and the ones that would likely complain to the EPA about it) drive with the AC on, and on RECIRC... so they are not going to smell a thing. But the black cloud left by a diesel truck will linger for a while, very hard not to notice that.

All my cars have been de-catted once I start to mod them, except my 2020 1LE and so far the GTI as I am on-hold for a trade, just waiting for the new S3/RS3 to hit the dealers close to me. I'm blaming the wide as she just bought a 2022 SQ5...
It's easy to blame others but I don't disagree that the roll coal/delete crowd share a big chunk of the blame here. My point was that everyone should be careful "pot calling the kettle black" b/c catless DPs are also part of the issue and part of what the EPA was going after - just look at the fines they levied again ModdedEuros for selling catless DPs a few years back. There really isn't a good reason (to me - I realize this isn't a popular opinion here) to not run a catted DP on a street car that isn't a huge-power build/track/drag build. You'd have to be making HUGE power to have an issue with flow of a GESI cat.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Tell me why a car running WMI and another calibration has anything to do with APR's package they offer? The only commonality is the turbo and why on Earth would someone buy the DTR6054, abandon the point of it (included calibration), and go with an aftermarket calibration? Could have just bought a Vortex and made big power.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Perhaps someone wanted to see what it was fully capable of?
… For science!

(or they bought it, installed it, didn’t like the OTB performance, and decided to tinker)

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
If someone came out with a DP friendly tune for 91 octane, I wouldn't rule it out. Until that happens, I still have a functional setup. If I went hybrid, etc, I'd have several back-and-forths and that's less than ideal for both my time and need for a drivable car. If someone in/near San Diego knows a custom tuner/dyno shop, I'd be willing to sacrifice a day, that's it.

That said, this out of box kit is not underwhelming. Curious when I'll get a call from APR to update to the revised tune. Will make a decision after that.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
If someone came out with a DP friendly tune for 91 octane, I wouldn't rule it out. Until that happens, I still have a functional setup. If I went hybrid, etc, I'd have several back-and-forths and that's less than ideal for both my time and need for a drivable car. If someone in/near San Diego knows a custom tuner/dyno shop, I'd be willing to sacrifice a day, that's it.

That said, this out of box kit is not underwhelming. Curious when I'll get a call from APR to update to the revised tune. Will make a decision after that.
You can still drive your car while getting tuned virtually. You just don't get full power immediately, you get it through revisions.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion

At this point I feel like all DTR owners here should post the following info (in a new thread?) strictly for BREIF reviews for others considering this kit to reference:

1) their platform (and street or track)
2) power mods
3) the DTR kit installed
4) the DTR tune(s) installed
5) their overall satisfaction level with the kit as x/5
6) any additional comments in 1 or 2 sentences.

I’m sure the review criteria could be tweaked a bit, but does anyone else think this would be helpful?

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
At this point I feel like all DTR owners here should post the following info (in a new thread?) strictly for BREIF reviews for others considering this kit to reference:

1) their platform (and street or track)
2) power mods
3) the DTR kit installed
4) the DTR tune(s) installed
5) their overall satisfaction level with the kit as x/5
6) any additional comments in 1 or 2 sentences.

I’m sure the review criteria could be tweaked a bit, but does anyone else think this would be helpful?
I was trying to create a thread for this last night but life got in the way. Didn’t get a chance. Probably won’t till friday or this weekend. If you want to create one before that feel free

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
94: I'm not sure I've heard good things about it from other tuners. I seem to recall many saying it didn't have any ethanol in it, and fair worse than 93 with up to 10% E.

Side note, we use to have it when I was back in college. Sunoco would carry it. 87, 89, 93, and 94. They later replaced 94 with 93 and added 91 on the pumps with 4 slots.