GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
What is the difference between the DTR6054 and their EFR7163 TCU tune?
If you have a DQ250 I don’t believe there is one. I believe its the same file for both turbos. However I do think there’s a difference between awd and fwd cars. My file specifically said “DQ250xx EFR/DTR AWD”.

@audia3 I don’t experience the early shifting in sport auto mode in my car. Those shift points described above are spot on to what I experience. It’s weird your car shifts that early. Although looking at your video, it’s pretty much on par with the acceleration of my R, even with the earlier shifts.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Will say, loving the 'EFR / Stage 3' DSG tune! Normal and sport driving shift points are on point!

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Looking forward to those track times this week, and the comparisons. Hope to have a DTR kit ordered soon.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Looking forward to those track times this week, and the comparisons. Hope to have a DTR kit ordered soon.
Me too. Really need this rain to leave the forecast. Still a ways out, but not looking good for Friday as of now (thunderstorms).

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
As of right now, I don't have much to say. I'll just post the slips.
Stage 2:
1653446295028.jpeg

DTR @ 3750 launch:
1653446334542.jpeg

4500 launch:
1653446366930.jpeg

I really expected more with ~400whp. Seems like theres basically zero difference between the DTR and stage 2 Unitronic at the track. The extra tenth could easily be chalked up to me adding 034 motor mounts since my stockers were wasted.
The wind has been taken out of my sails tonight, I have no excuses. I thought at least a 7.3 @ mid 90s would have been a realistic expectation. This is all I could manage today. Even the rear seat delete didn't help.

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
As of right now, I don't have much to say. I'll just post the slips.
Stage 2:
View attachment 250245
DTR @ 3750 launch:
View attachment 250246
4500 launch:
View attachment 250247

Not pleased.
That sucks man, sorry to hear it’s basically a wash from Stage 2.

It kind of cements the consensus that in terms of real world performance (regardless if dyno figures) the DTR is more of an emissions compliant, IS38 sidestep rather than an upgrade. That said, you did pick up 2 mph in the 1/8, not sure what that translates to in the 1/4 mile.

I just came back from messing around on the street and was about to post positive news from my end… but now I don’t want to rub salt in the wound. Obviously, I’m coming from a setup with much less power than you were though.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
That sucks man, sorry to hear it’s basically a wash from Stage 2.

It kind of cements the consensus that in terms of real world performance (regardless if dyno figures) the DTR is more of an emissions compliant, IS38 sidestep rather than an upgrade. That said, you did pick up 2 mph in the 1/8, not sure what that translates to in the 1/4 mile.

I just came back from messing around on the street and was about to post positive news from my end… but now I don’t want to rub salt in the wound. Obviously, I’m coming from a setup with much less power than you were though.
I agree.. I still agree entirely that on the street it feels fantastic. It feels like it just pulls forever, and I really like the powerband compared to the is38. It feels more manageable.

It’s just.. with how much money I spent on the DTR setup.. its a hard pill the swallow for an extra tenth of a second and 2 mph in the 1/8. I’m just not sure where to go from here as far as my setup is concerned. I would be really interested to see how your car does at the track in comparison.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I agree.. I still agree entirely that on the street it feels fantastic. It feels like it just pulls forever, and I really like the powerband compared to the is38. It feels more manageable.

It’s just.. with how much money I spent on the DTR setup.. its a hard pill the swallow for an extra tenth of a second and 2 mph in the 1/8. I’m just not sure where to go from here as far as my setup is concerned. I would be really interested to see how your car does at the track in comparison.
Downpipe and custom tune.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Rain decided to stop earlier today so I had a chance to take the GTI/DTR out again tonight for some “testing”.

Test Subject #1 - MB CLK63 (lowered, aftermarket exhaust, lots of pops): I caught him from behind, he gunned it but couldn’t pull away (70-110ish, several times). We never lined up but messed around a bit chasing, I gave him a thumbs up after.

Test Subject #2 - BMW M4 (matte wrap, loud aftermarket exhaust): He saw me yank a CLK550 (sounded stock, but had obnoxiously blue headlights) and joined in. I kept up way longer than he or I expected (80-120). He started to walk around 110 so I shut it down at 120 but he decided to keep going, proceeding to weave through traffic - guess he didn’t like the company.

Test Subject #3 - Genesis Coupe (aftermarket exhaust, debadged): Caught him and some modded Camry XSE tailing him. I pulled hard immediately on both (80-100-something). He gave me a thumbs up as he took his exit.

Test Results: 3rd and 4th gear @ 4k rpm are pure magic.

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I really expected more with ~400whp. Seems like theres basically zero difference between the DTR and stage 2 Unitronic at the track. The extra tenth could easily be chalked up to me adding 034 motor mounts since my stockers were wasted.
The wind has been taken out of my sails tonight, I have no excuses. I thought at least a 7.3 @ mid 90s would have been a realistic expectation. This is all I could manage today. Even the rear seat delete didn't help.
Yea, I'd be disappointed too. Dang. I bet this turbo will wake up with a DP and tune.

You know, without APR's castrating tune....😝

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
You're not going to get a lot out of an emission compliant turbo swap. Especially if you are going to compare it to an IS38 stage 2 with a catless downpipe. Dollar for dollar I think they are about the same in price. Dowpipe+accessport+tune = APR DTR tune included. Add HPFP to both sides and it will still be the same.

It is not worth the trouble for someone on an IS38 Stage 2 that is in a location that don't do smog testing. This is for the people that lives in regulated locations and want the most they can get out of their cars legally. This turbo with a downpipe and custom tune will be a good choice, but the cost would be equal to the Vortex, and that will net out more hp/tq as it is a bigger turbo.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Not sure if anyone really cares at this point, but here are some vids from last night:

Yes that's me getting buses put on me by a buffalo Bills player in his trailhawk. It's funny how many Bills players I run into living in buffalo. Ran into Josh Allen just last year at starbucks. Seen Diggs in his Ferrari cruising around last year too. Accidentally raced Freddy Jackson in his camaro years ago and didn't even know it was him until he rolled his limo tinted windows down.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
This turbo is best compared to your stock turbo stock downpipe, or IS38 with stock downpipe. It's emissions legal and the path for upgrading is keeping that in mind (at least with our provided software and legit package). At the track though there are tons of variables (Grip, density altitude, etc) but anyone who has driven this turbo knows one thing, it pulls hard to redline especially in 3rd, 4th, 5th.. It keeps going. The short game, or 1/8th, is really not where this will shine in comparison to a smaller turbo setup in my opinion.

Side note: We do have an update coming for the R. I suspect the team will have all the files ready this week. At lest that's my hope!