GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
You guys crack me up sometimes. It takes like 15 mins to pull the diff and gives you a ton more room to work with and a lot less frustration. Sure it can be done without it but sometimes doing a little extra work saves time at the end of the day.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I got quoted 950.00 . From a VW/Audi speciality shop in NJ .He said it would have been a little cheaper but I have a PP car and he had to drop the limited slip to install the turbo ??? Can anyone if that is accurate
Who was the shop? That's more than fair.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You guys crack me up sometimes. It takes like 15 mins to pull the diff and gives you a ton more room to work with and a lot less frustration. Sure it can be done without it but sometimes doing a little extra work saves time at the end of the day.

I prefer to unbolt it and push it out of the way with a 2x4...

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I plan on installing the kit myself and will be a first for me. I watched the FCPEuro is38 diy video. They pulled the downpipe out for access. I also downloaded the APR instructions for the DTR kit And they only mention to disconnect the downpipe and move out of the way.
@crxgator you mentioned you've done a few, do you remove the downpipe?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
I plan on installing the kit myself and will be a first for me. I watched the FCPEuro is38 diy video. They pulled the downpipe out for access. I also downloaded the APR instructions for the DTR kit And they only mention to disconnect the downpipe and move out of the way.
@crxgator you mentioned you've done a few, do you remove the downpipe?
Having done the swap twice, I'd say the effort in removing the downpipe pays dividends in additional clearance for working out the water/oil lines and the stud bolts of the tubrocharger itself.

Especially with the OEM cat, as the pre-cat really is in the way. Well worth the bit of effort to remove in my opinion.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Whelp. Just found out I have the rona. Sorry guys, no DTR install or dyno from my R till I start feeling better.
Dang, get well man, the same exact thing happened to me in February, the day I began installing my Vortex I came down with aches (which I thought was just from working on the car like usual) bam...had full on rona the next day. Car sat for two weeks torn apart waiting for my energy to come back.
😅

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
@riceburner , now that you have had the turbo installed for a little bit, any change in sentiment from your first impression or still kind of meh coming from your previous setup? You are the only golf R I know of that has it installed.
Same so far. Ive gone around 200 miles on the setup. It feels like stage 2 R but more lag mostly. The lag makes it fun but also less fun because its less punchy.

Again i know, stage 3 tcu needed, intercooler needed. But overall feel like i didnt get the gains.

Its all conjecture until i hit a dyno, but never got a before dyno. So idk. Its still a good overall kit, certainly a deal for the stock GTI bros out there.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Same so far. Ive gone around 200 miles on the setup. It feels like stage 2 R but more lag mostly. The lag makes it fun but also less fun because its less punchy.

Again i know, stage 3 tcu needed, intercooler needed. But overall feel like i didnt get the gains.

Its all conjecture until i hit a dyno, but never got a before dyno. So idk. Its still a good overall kit, certainly a deal for the stock GTI bros out there.
IC won't help with the lag unless you start the pull severely heat soaked already. We need wastegate data!