GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^oh i get that, i mean for overall power, or acheiving something close to the claimed numbers.

Ill have to see if someone can log me. Anyone in my area?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
IC won't help with the lag unless you start the pull severely heat soaked already. We need wastegate data!

I’ve seen a 67whp deficit on a stage 2 car w/o a IC upgrade under the curve and 21 peak IIRC.

This wasn’t some extreme example, all three pulls were about the same for both. You use forth gear on the dyno, which the factory IC isn’t even good for one entire pull of if it’s even remotely warm out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I’ve seen a 67whp deficit on a stage 2 car w/o a IC upgrade under the curve and 21 peak IIRC.

This wasn’t some extreme example, all three pulls were about the same for both. You use forth gear on the dyno, which the factory IC isn’t even good for one entire pull of if it’s even remotely warm out.
To add to this: The DTR setup is hitting most of its peak power in the high RPMs, and that's exactly where the factory IC fails and allows high IAT. I don't see how the stock IC wouldn't significantly negatively affect this setup.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I have an efficient enough intercooler to keep IATs between 5-10 above ambient after back to back runs. Rice’s review/feeling is still accurate in this feeling less powerful than an is38 GTI/GOLFR.

Edit: not saying an intercooler isn’t important but I don’t think that’s the reason Rice isn’t impressed.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I have an efficient enough intercooler to keep IATs between 5-10 above ambient after back to back runs. Rice’s review/feeling is still accurate in this feeling less powerful than an is38 GTI/GOLFR.

Edit: not saying an intercooler isn’t important but I don’t think that’s the reason Rice isn’t impressed.

What do you mean with referencing efficient enough intercooler? Aren't almost all A/M intercoolers said to allow up to 600hp? What kind of intercooler do you got that is better than stock but not able to handle 600hp where you can leave "efficient enough" out? Just curious 🤔

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Not denying that. The ECU pulls timing based off IAT and the air is less dense. But the IC should not have any affect on spool on the street. This is why we need wastegate data to understand if it's the tune or the turbo.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

Exactly.. it kind spools like shit for a turbo that's not much bigger than a IS38. I want so badly to like this turbo.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Exactly.. it kind spools like shit for a turbo that's not much bigger than a IS38. I want so badly to like this turbo.
This, when I see a Vortex make a much fatter power band while spooling hundreds of RPMs sooner on the stock DP it makes me wonder what is going on. Is it the turbo or is it APRs tune? On paper this turbo looks amazing for the price, so I hope its APRs tune...

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
Can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know how to slightly muffle the whistle... is it due to the turbo muffler delete or sound coming through the intake? There's a sweet spot for the amount of whistle that's desirable, and I'd either add a custom solution or change my intake if needed... there's a big difference between letting you know it's there and sounding like a dump truck :ROFLMAO:

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
What do you mean with referencing efficient enough intercooler? Aren't almost all A/M intercoolers said to allow up to 600hp? What kind of intercooler do you got that is better than stock but not able to handle 600hp where you can leave "efficient enough" out? Just curious 🤔

Well I was asked specifically if I had an APR intercooler when I presented this issue. The Mishimoto might not be as efficient but it appears to be efficient enough for the setup.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI

Noted - do you mean its first pull was X and by pull 3 it was X-67whp?

Again i DO get that an intercooler should certainly help - and i REALLY don't wish to muddy waters much more or berade the issue - but i could also argue that, why would my IS38 have felt stronger, considering it was being pushed much harder, and being a smaller, definitely hotter turbo, compared to this setup? In other words, i feel like if i had an intercooler on the IS38 setup, then it may well have STILL felt faster than this setup with an intercooler. Like, at least it's apples to apples, somewhat.
To add to this: The DTR setup is hitting most of its peak power in the high RPMs, and that's exactly where the factory IC fails and allows high IAT. I don't see how the stock IC wouldn't significantly negatively affect this setup.
Also a good point, and can be some nuance added to the above reply.

Case in point
Can't believe I'm asking this but does anyone know how to slightly muffle the whistle... is it due to the turbo muffler delete or sound coming through the intake? There's a sweet spot for the amount of whistle that's desirable, and I'd either add a custom solution or change my intake if needed... there's a big difference between letting you know it's there and sounding like a dump truck :ROFLMAO:
Hate to agree, but i agree. lol. After a 3 hour commute yesterday i think i've had enough whistle. Might have to swap in a stock airbox with upgraded panel, or just a closed intake. It would probably be fine like that.