GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
As people talk about what these various tunes feel like, it strikes me how important the feel is -- if not more important than the actual numbers. I have my own example:

I have run both the APR stage 1 high torque and low torque tunes. Here are the dyno plots for comparison:
1650054828805.png
1650054842072.png

• The HT tune makes significantly more torque 2000-4500. Objectively, the HT tune has more torque and more area under the curve, so it should outperform the LT tune. Indeed, the HT tune feels pretty fast right when you get on it, because the turbo spools up and then punches you with that peak torque. But because that torque almost immediately starts to fall before the hp picks up, it's not super exciting as you rev it out. I was always short shifting to stay in the fun part of the power band. Looking at the power curve, you can see how it's nearly the same shape as the stock tune.
  • However, the LT tune feels faster to me and is much more exciting when I push it hard and wind it out -- because the torque hits by 2500 and sticks there all the way to 5k, and the hp keeps pulling past that. So that feeling of persistent, increasing acceleration creates a more exciting and fun experience that even feels faster (but probably isn't). You can look at the power curve and see a very linear pull all the way to 5500 or so before it gives up. To me, the LT tune fixes what I hated the most about the stock tune.
I wonder when companies like APR, EQT, etc. are making these turbo kits and tunes how much they're considering how the driving experience feels?

When I look at the power curve for the DTR, I'm honestly curious how this feels, because you have 2 fairly sharp peaks and it's so completely different from stock, stage 1, or even stage 2. We might have an unfortunate situation here where the DTR puts down impressive peak numbers, but provides an un-exciting driving experience due to the power band and the slower spool.
1650055631820.png

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
One thing I missed that was posted earlier. APR uses a Dynapack for their "FWD" testing/vehicles. While the readings on these vary, I would say they tend to read on the higher end of spectrum for dynos. This probably explains some of the discrepancies / experiences so far.

edit: the old is38 stuff was the dynapack, who knows what the DTR was done on..dynojet?

Last edited:

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
News we want to hear!

Is this on the OE downpipe? I got the impression that you might be putting a aftermarket DP back on?
Still factory downpipe. I'm intent on putting the apr back on though. The tech said there's no option to disable secondary o2, but said he doesn't see any reason why it would throw a CEL.

However, to be on the safe side, I'd rather just get a J bend o2 spacer just to only have to do the process once. That being said, I need a high quality option - there's too many threads and opinions, I just want someone to decide for me. Cost is a non-issue.

Malingerer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I'm really hard pressed to accept "it doesn't SEEM like that much power" as as so-called common sense "deductible" reasoning (LOL). And I'm giggling at the thinking that APR didn't heavily test this thing. Of course they did.

I think it's totally fair for people to ask questions and ask APR to look at logs, to be clear. And I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with the tune (maybe there is!). But I think people really ought to be insisting on objective data and not what they just intrinsically think a certain car should do based on peak hp numbers (which is almost meaningless).
Ok put your money where your mouth is and buy the kit then post the numbers if you have the utmost confidence in it. Admittedly I am new to this platform and forum and have never stated other wise. But I have owned ,built and been around many high horsepower cars in my life .I would most likely say probably before you were born . I made a simple statement and when I responded you get all upset and come to APRs rescue it’s cool man you have your opinion and I have mine . I would like to think i was taking the side of the upset consumers who purchased the kit and are unhappy with it .

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
One thing I missed that was posted earlier. APR uses a Dynapack for their "FWD" testing/vehicles. While the readings on these vary, I would say they tend to read on the higher end of spectrum for dynos. This probably explains some of the discrepancies / experiences so far.
Yes but also that means they would use the same dyno for their other setups, so dtr should still feel faster than is38 stage 2

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Ok put your money where your mouth is and buy the kit then post the numbers if you have the utmost confidence in it. Admittedly I am new to this platform and forum and have never stated other wise. But I have owned ,built and been around many high horsepower cars in my life .I would most likely say probably before you were born . I made a simple statement and when I responded you get all upset and come to APRs rescue it’s cool man you have your opinion and I have mine . I would like to think i was taking the side of the upset consumers who purchased the kit and are unhappy with it .
Look, we both want the same thing: an honest assessment of what’s going on with this kit. I have fully agreed it’s worth APR taking a look at the owners who aren’t happy with it. I just want objective data. “Seems like” and “feels like” just aren’t enough to go on if the hypothesis is it’s underperforming 🤷‍♂️

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yes but also that means they would use the same dyno for their other setups, so dtr should still feel faster than is38 stage 2
Arin said that the DTR was tested on a different dyno than their posted IS38 figures.

Dyno comparison notes:

The DTR and the IS38 were done on different dynos unfortunately, so they aren't a prefect 1:1 comparison. Another note about "spool" is that weather can greatly change it, so that becomes a factor at least with comparison when things spool up. Also, the way the dynos load will affect that too (The IS38 was on our dynapack which holds the car under load at a specific RPM before pulling through the gears at a constant ramp rate - this will promote spool too). None of these things are excuses, mind you, they are just notes for comparison. One thing is clear though, a DTR on the stock downpipe will spool later than an IS38 on a high flow downpipe.

I'm a bit of a data geek myself, so if this frustrates you, believe me, it frustrates me more!

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Dang, I even read it wrong the 2nd time. The is38 was on the dynapack, not the DTR. who knows what they're using now... dynojet?

edit: I found it, it's with a mustang dyno, so presumably their AWD car. But the mustang dyno shows power in "estimated dynojet whp and torque" lmao.

Malingerer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Look, we both want the same thing: an honest assessment of what’s going on with this kit. I have fully agreed it’s worth APR taking a look at the owners who aren’t happy with it. I just want objective data. “Seems like” and “feels like” just aren’t enough to go on if the hypothesis is it’s underperforming 🤷‍♂️
I understand and I agree man . I just feel thats all we have to go on at this point besides APR own graph and results . Some 3rd party testing would be nice . I had all intentions of plucking my hard earned cash down on the first day, But was hesitant because the claimed figures went against everything I had researched . And to be clear I don’t dislike APR by any stretch . i have a 2016 1.8 Jetta sport with a APR stage 1 93 Octane , Burger Motor sports pedal tuner , Aem intake ,South Bend stage 2 Daily, APR coil packs etc and
Have been super happy with this set up . My son has a stage 3 APR k04 turbo kit before it was Pro Tuned in January by ACI Dymanix It was running apr software for ECU and DSG and they did a before and After Dyno and the 93 Octane tune put pretty much exactly what APR claimed . But I’m not here to shine their schlong ether

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
Soooooo for what it's worth, i just went for a quick drive with the awd file and I have to say it's an arguably better driving experience. Much better. APR shouldn't even offer the fwd file.
Completely agree, I flashed from the fwd to the AWD and it pretty comparable to the is38. The fwd option should be removed. Still wish Apr would spice this thing up though.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI

I’m confused are you just looking for multiple customers data? I’ve given my “seems like” and “feels like” but also have given dragy times to back up those feelings. What other type of objective data are you looking for? I could go to a dyno but as mentioned before I don’t have a before so the results wouldn’t mean much besides a number.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Completely agree, I flashed from the fwd to the AWD and it pretty comparable to the is38. The fwd option should be removed. Still wish Apr would spice this thing up though.

Comparable in what way to the is38? I don’t think this DTR feels anything like my is38.