GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Here's a DTR review from someone who was banned from the forums. They went from an APR stg 1 low tq tune to the DTR on a 7.5 GTI. Everything after this is not my own words:

Mods: DTR turbo swap with apr tune and apr tcu tune (FWD version, because Jesus Christ of course one should pick that in a GTI) AWE track cat back, IE intake, heat range 9 plugs (forgot which ones), neuspeed wheels (dunno the model but its the one 80% of y’all have) and pilot sport 4s’s. and a dope ass fmic.

Received my DTR in mid March (I think) and had it installed in early April (I think). I was holding off on this review till I got my summers back on. Summer wheels and tires (PS4S) went on about first week of May. Ive driven enough on my crappy all seasons and on my summers finally. I think I am ready to share what I think of the turbo, since I am finally able to draw a conclusion.

Build quality of the turbo, outstanding. Especially the included hardware. The tune also doesn’t feel like it was put together by a high school kid. ECU and TCU tune were solid, as expected from APR. I was fortunate enough to come in later, after the early adopters did. No weird strange beta tune experiences.

In my daily drive, I do find myself giving the car maybe 5% more throttle? It’s so slight, I can barely feel I’m giving it more gas but I know I am. To be fair let’s say I’m giving it 5-10% more throttle then? There’s definitely some lag but it really feels as if it’s kinda like an is38. At wide open throttle, the car is making stage 1 type power, then around 3k rpm it feels like stage 2 power and from there on it is its own monster. 4th gear is incredibly fucked, its as if that might be the only gear that doesn’t have boost reductions or boost onset delays. 4th will get you into very illegal speeds very quickly. Imagine walking in on redacted (fuck U bitch) sucking his own dick, like that. That’s how shocking it is.

Gas mileage hasn’t changed. In the city and on the highway. Hasn’t gotten worse or better. It has stayed the same. Frankly I am neutral here. I went into this knowing I was going to lose some mpg, cuz bigger turbo and all that’s required to get to the speed limit. Yet, it didn’t swing that way. Cool.

The tcu tune on the 7 speed is solid as hell. Kicks down quickly, give it enough gas and she will down shift, all the usual stuff you expect. When driving up a steep hill, ill either stab the gas and hold 50-60% so the dsg kicks a gear down, or I’ll pull a paddle and just down shift.

The anti surge features make for this whistling noise and it take me back to when I had a supercharged ion redline. With my ie intake, it whistles loud as shit. I can put a diesel to shame. Folks walking on the side walk can hear it too. I really dig the sound. The part throttle whooshes are gone, but at wide open they make a return. I guess due to the larger hot side, my 7 speed’s dsg farts (still not as cool sounding as the 6 speed dsg’s) are louder and more pronounced.

What’s really cool but immature, when the oil hits 180f (according to lie o meter) I throw the dsg in sport and get a little more aggressive. Acceleration happens with maybe 1-3psi (according to the other lie o meter) and the whistling is crazy as fucking fuck. The drivers next to me seem to be looking for the Cummings truck too.

So how does it do on the street? Extremely well. It wasn’t till I absolutely murdered a stage 2 is38 swapped dsg GTI that I understood why the dtr is only compared to an is38 when it’s on e30. The is38 isn’t a great option, it really only has slightly better top end vs an is20. The R head must make better use of it, assuming that’s why a tuned stock turbo R can hold longer vs a GTI with a is38. Be for real, what do you think will happen between a dtr and is38 when both are on e30 or e50? I never understood why it was fair to compare the is38 on E vs the dtr on pump. Now I get it, it’s because the is38 sucks donkey dick and it’s barely an upgrade. Like I can do what you do but better and meet emissions and make cooler noises. God forbid I swap downpipes and get tuned or something.

Everyone talks about lag and it’s funny how it almost sounds like they know what they’re talking about. The lower rpm’s are only a thing when launching. And if launching, launch control barely gives you boost in lower gears. But I’m the middle and top, the dtr offers a good bit of meat there, where it would absolutely be usable

So who is this for? I’d say any GTI owner who needs to hold onto the stock downpipe due to emissions in their state. I wouldn’t on an R unless emissions was a thing and you’re also going to do the fuel upgrades. Otherwise I think it wouldn’t be a smart move for an R.

If Daks, no. Don’t get the dtr. Love U bro.

Many thanks to the homie Acadia for assisting me with this.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Is it safe to assume that since this setup retains the stock downpipe that it will sound decent with the oem tcr exhaust?

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Picked up my R from the shop today after having the DTR installed. No HPFP/LPFP yet as the HPFP I have is under recall and a revised pump will be shipped out soon. I was bone stock prior to install. I came back in heavy rush hour NYC traffic, but this tune feels ultra smooth. I didn't notice the lag that gets attributed to the DTR, but hopefully I can open her up a little tomorrow.

Mods:
• APR DTR6054
• APR DTR DQ381 DSG tune
• APR Coil Packs (please don't hurt me)
• APR Spark Plugs
• Blaze Performance AToM Race V2 intake
• do88 intercooler
• Rotors/pads/stainless steel brake lines/brake fluid
☆ Still on the stock downpipe, stock catback + resonator

It'd be nice if I could get my hands on an APR key chain like other companies (IE, Unitronic, EQT) offer, but I'm a happy camper atm.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Picked up my R from the shop today after having the DTR installed. No HPFP/LPFP yet as the HPFP I have is under recall and a revised pump will be shipped out soon. I was bone stock prior to install. I came back in heavy rush hour NYC traffic, but this tune feels ultra smooth. I didn't notice the lag that gets attributed to the DTR, but hopefully I can open her up a little tomorrow.

Mods:
• APR DTR6054
• APR DTR DQ381 DSG tune
• APR Coil Packs (please don't hurt me)
• APR Spark Plugs
• Blaze Performance AToM Race V2 intake
• do88 intercooler
• Rotors/pads/stainless steel brake lines/brake fluid
☆ Still on the stock downpipe, stock catback + resonator

It'd be nice if I could get my hands on an APR key chain like other companies (IE, Unitronic, EQT) offer, but I'm a happy camper atm.
Which ECU tune did you have flashed?

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Did you happen to know if the "full send" file was available?
I completely forgot to ask. I'll make a reminder for when I go to get the HPFP and LPFP tune completed in a couple of weeks.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
@Arin@APR how much torque could one expect this turbo to put out, all bottlenecks out of the way (built motor, full exhaust, full fuel)?
I don't see why you couldn't get it above 500 ft-lbs.