GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I'll reach out to them and post their thoughts. More or less throwing up more info for others wanting to do the same thing with the DTR.

It appears to be a Spulen throttle pipe

That's a tough one just because I don't have any great logs of this. I'd like to say I'm usually in full boost after 4k rpm. I'm seeing about 28-29psi max on my gauge after a pull.

I did reach out to someone that had a unitronic stage 2 car with the same menthanol kit I do. They currently have their settings to start spraying at 6psi, and have it fully spray at 13psi. The settings below:
View attachment 267291
Of course a stage 2 car will have a bit less boost, but I'll try these settings and adjust from there. One thing I'm curious about is how much boost can you build while in launch control? And do you want to be spraying during this?
there is some REALLY good info in jay745's build thread, IMO, a few pages back from the most recent page. Sorry don't have the time or energy to be a cool guy and find it... but there were some good recommendations on how to set it up, what to log, evaluate etc.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
decent. its a great upgrade for a stock car looking for daily / (hopefully no hassle) upgrades.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I'll reach out to them and post their thoughts. More or less throwing up more info for others wanting to do the same thing with the DTR.

It appears to be a Spulen throttle pipe

That's a tough one just because I don't have any great logs of this. I'd like to say I'm usually in full boost after 4k rpm. I'm seeing about 28-29psi max on my gauge after a pull.

I did reach out to someone that had a unitronic stage 2 car with the same menthanol kit I do. They currently have their settings to start spraying at 6psi, and have it fully spray at 13psi. The settings below:
View attachment 267291
Of course a stage 2 car will have a bit less boost, but I'll try these settings and adjust from there. One thing I'm curious about is how much boost can you build while in launch control? And do you want to be spraying during this?
6 to 13 is basically 100% spray flow anytime you’re over 40% throttle…

I asked cause your max boost and how it tapers should be what you’re determining your meth flow pattern on.

But 6 is too low for a car that’s sees mid to high 20s as a starting point imo. Regular driving and calm driving at that the car constantly sees over 6psi but say under 11psi so your just pointlessly spraying and creating wear and tear on your pump,nozzles,solenoid, etc for no real return.

I run a dual nozzle setup on a hybrid car that hits 27 psi by like 3600 stays to 29 by redline and I set mine at 10psi on and 22 and full though experimenting with the dials over the years.

Say the dtr hits 27max boost and tapers to 20 you would want to make sure your full flow number is at least under 20psi so that of a WOT blast you are getting full flow through the entire portion of pull that’s generating lots of heat. The starting dial you can mess around with how you like it while keeping the scenarios of what I noted above in mind.

Nozzle selection - start low and go up from there…if you spray too much it will throw off your AFR that’s the tune is looking for (since it’s not a specific meth tune) and the ecu may adjust your fuel system to try and maintain the AFR.

Last edited:

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
6 to 13 is basically 100% spray flow anytime you’re over 40% throttle…

I asked cause your max boost and how it tapers should be what you’re determining your meth flow pattern on.

But 6 is too low for a car that’s sees mid to high 20s as a starting point imo. Regular driving and calm driving at that the car constantly sees over 6psi but say under 11psi so your just pointlessly spraying and crating wear and tear on your pump,nozzles,solenoid, etc for no real return.

I run a dual nozzle setup on a hybrid car that hits 27 psi by like 3600 stays to 29 by redline and I set mine at 10psi on and 22 and full though experimenting with the dials over the years.

Say the dtr hits 27max boost and tapers to 20 you would want to make sure your full flow number is at least under 20psi so that of a WOT blast you are getting full flow through the entire portion of pull that’s generating lots of heat. The starting dial you can mess around with how you like it while keeping the scenarios of what I noted above in mind.

Nozzle selection - start low and go up from there…if you spray too much it will throw off your AFR that’s the tune is looking for (since it’s not a specific meth tune) and the ecu may adjust your fuel system to try and maintain the AFR.
Great info here! Thank you. I will use your advice.

Would you recommend I start with 100% water too? I keep reading that depending on the methanol content, it can mess with the AFR, and for specifically only cooling charge temps, distilled water is the best.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Hey @Arin@APR Question for you,

I'm still running the v1.1.1 93 Octane version of the tune. This was from May of 22'. Have there been any new updates since then ?
This is for the APR DTR 6054 HPFP & LPFP kit for the R.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Thank you! Good to know. Just out of curiosity, do you know if there are any updates on the horizon for the Base and LPFP/HPFP people?

Mk7R_matey

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R DSG
Been a minute since I've posted... I finally pulled a trigger on the methanol kit. Will install it this winter and hopefully that will cure all my IAT issues. Went with a AEM unit and a aftermarket throttle pipe with a bung already there, looks pretty straight forward. Curious if there are any specific recommendations from APR as far as the settings for the methanol injection goes? Specifically, what PSI to start spraying at and what PSI to spray full at?
What state are you in? Me being in Phoenix AZ idek if this turbo is viable with temps above 100f May-September and 120f for almost a month…

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
What state are you in? Me being in Phoenix AZ idek if this turbo is viable with temps above 100f May-September and 120f for almost a month…
I'm in NY. Keep in mind, even with the higher IAT's my car still did perform OK. Just not to its full potential as I've noted before. That's why the aftermarket intercooler is something that's highly recommended with this kit. But overall, my car was still quicker than it was with a stage 2 kit on the track. With ambient temperatures like that, I would think any car would struggle to not hit timing limitations. Methanol might be the best bet for you.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
A fun experiment would be to just release an update with no changes and watch people post about how much smoother and refined it is 🤣
You're not wrong. Back in the day, like 10+ years ago, I had some guy freaking out at a car show about his car not making power, driving like crap, all these things. We scanned the car, no codes, didn't make any sense. He demanded we reflash it. We didn't, but told him we did. Came back and said it was a night and day difference. Never heard from him again.