GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
I really appreciate all of feedback! My launch today was at 3500 and before was at 3000. Tires are not spinning, but it feels like a truck until it picks up speed as shown by the 0-10).

I'll try to do another OBD11 log tomorrow to track boost. Should I be looking at "charge pressure actual" or "charge pressure specified"?
Both really, actual as the name indicates, is what your hitting, specified is what it's targeting for boost

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T
Also, just a tip, I would verify with your OBD11 you have no soft codes saved. Especially after removing the terminal on the battery. Soft codes (depending which ones) can limit power for safety reasons.
I did do a scan before and cleared all the codes. There were a few of them.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Not going to get carb approval cruising at 2k, lol.
Want to guess what RPM I'm at, cruising at 50mph....hint it's just about 2K and I still have 7th gear left. I guess saying "complaint" was too harsh of a word, maybe one thing to nitpick. I know the DSG/tuning can only do so much and compromises have to made. The more I drive, the more I can acclimate and change driving style a bit. I still very much like the tuning.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Quiet today... too quiet.
1654707387232.png

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
So I had to have my car towed to the shop Monday night.

I threw an EPC light on the highway cruising at about 50mph, pulled over and car would barely idle. Today I got back the full diagnostic (attached/below):

351FCADF-ABD7-40DD-A05E-242A013F8BB7.jpeg
4947D3EA-C953-482E-816A-023C3D4802CF.jpeg

The shop is in contact with APR to try to get to the bottom of what happened.

No symptoms or lights have ever presented prior to the DTR installation, all work was performed by the shop, and all maintenance on vehicle was current.

Platform:
- 2015 GTI SE DSG (Non-Performance Pack), 4K miles

Maintenance:
Performed at 45k miles:
- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40 Oil
- MANN Oil Filter
- OEM MQB Gen-3 Drain Plug
- PEN Coolant, G13 1.5L
- NGK heat range 9 (NGK-R7437-9) spark plugs
Performed at 41k miles
- DSG service - Pentosin G052182A2 A/T fluid

Full ModificationList:
- APR DTR6054 Turbo Kit
- APR Stage 3 DTR6054 ECU Tune – 93 Octane, version 1.3 (need to confirm AWD or FWD with shop)
- APR DTR6054 TCU Tune
- IE FDS Intercooler V2
- AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter
- 034 Dogbone Insert
- Performance Pack Brakes (front/rear)
- Stoptech Slotted Rotors
- EBC Redstuff Pads
- H&R Rear Sway Bar, 26mm
- SuperPro Rear Endlinks
- Neuspeed RSE10, 18x8.5 et45
- Michelin PS4S, 245/40/18

That said, I may need to take any detailed/questions discussions offline during this ongoing investigation. But I will try to keep you all updated as I get concrete news I can share.

Stay safe out there.

Edit: Added vehicle info and full mod list

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
be sure to share the details of your car, year, kit, supporting mods, plugs, mileage, oil, fuel, etc.

audia3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 2.0T

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
be sure to share the details of your car, year, kit, supporting mods, plugs, mileage, oil, fuel, etc.
I’ll edit my post to add full details of my car, but all fluids were changed during the install, fuel is 93 octane from Shell.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
If you are looking for something to do, would you mind taking a look at my log :) From what I can see it doesn't appear there is a boost leak, but I'm a super novice at reading this. It looks like at full boost specified v. actual are about the same.

https://datazap.me/u/audia3/boost-leak-test-6722?log=0&data=1&mark=16
I looked at it a little earlier, but I'm no guru in looking at logs so I didn't want to say the wrong thing. From my personal opinion, it looks good to me. The computer commands full boost, and after the turbo spools it reaches specified boost with no dramatic drop offs.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
damn, DTR blew up a motor with only 45k? safe to assume this was their tune?
Yes. APR DTR6045 ECU tune version 1.3 and DTR TCU tune. I requested AWD but they have FWD in the notes - I’ll have them double check to confirm if that’s correct.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Isn't too early to assume it was the tune? Couldn't an injector issue also be a cause?
That’s what the shop initially thought, but they tested all injectors and they are fine. Detonation, bent rod, engine hydrolocked due to oil in the cylinder.

Still unclear if it’s the tune, but it’s not the injectors.