GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Stage 1 my GTI did a 8.910 @ 83.73 mph in the 1/8 mile. Im hoping to pick up ~11 mph in the 1/4, so it seems unlikely I’d pick up of those 9 mph by the 1/8 (to beat 92 mph) with the power band pushed out, even if I’m spinning like crazy.

Guess we’ll just have to wait 24 hrs to see.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Stage 1 my GTI did a 8.910 @ 83.73 mph in the 1/8 mile. Im hoping to pick up ~11 mph in the 1/4, so it seems unlikely I’d pick up of those 9 mph by the 1/8 (to beat 92 mph) with the power band pushed out, even if I’m spinning like crazy.

Guess we’ll just have to wait 24 hrs to see.
I'm willing to bet your car is going to perform really well. Especially since APR seemed to have ironed out alot of bugs they had with the IS20 version of the tunes. I'm suspecting even with the 2.3-2.4 60 foot you'll still be around the 91-92mph range trap in the 1/8th. Good luck!

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
I'm willing to bet your car is going to perform really well. Especially since APR seemed to have ironed out alot of bugs they had with the IS20 version of the tunes. I'm suspecting even with the 2.3-2.4 60 foot you'll still be around the 91-92mph range trap in the 1/8th. Good luck!
Thanks, fingers crossed.

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Not sure if I posted this slip or not, I thought it was a timing error at first, but it's very possible whatever bug i'm hitting at the track slipped up briefly and the car actually started pulling a lot harder up top one of the runs 😂 This trap speed seems a lot more realistic.
1654259131879.jpeg

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Not sure if I posted this slip or not, I thought it was a timing error at first, but it's very possible whatever bug i'm hitting at the track slipped up briefly and the car actually started pulling a lot harder up top one of the runs 😂 This trap speed seems a lot more realistic.
View attachment 251255
If the issue is the protection routines being too aggressive (like the other variants APR fixed), then this seems plausible if the conditions were slightly more favorable and didn't trigger the routines.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Question for all in here. Is anyone running this with the iev2 Inter cooler? I have one sitting in my garage I haven’t installed yet. If so did everything connect fine? Did you need the adapter kit for the Apr Inter cooler? Custom piping/hoses? Trying to decide if I keep it or sell and get the APR Inter cooler before getting this turbo.

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
Yes and no. Yes, it should gain on the back half, no I should still see a difference between a stage 1 tune and the DTR in the 1/8th. Especially in trap speed where this turbo theoretically starts picking up speed up top. My car falls on its face after 80. @audia3 posted a video earlier, and his a3 with the dtr turbo only kit without fueling accelerates faster from 40 to 100 then my car did in 55 degree weather. How does that make sense?

Have had little time this week to put it through its paces or keep up on here, but there's definitely a difference in 80 degree vs 65 degree weather on my DTR as well. A HUGE butt dyno difference. Got my wastegate adjusted which might also have helped.

So for those well versed in turbo thermodynamics, what's going to help with heatsoak/sensitivity here (other than meth). Thermal wrap the turbo, charge pipes, etc, if the engine bay is affecting things? Any significant difference you've seen in aftermarket IC's, stock location vs. FMIC, etc? Patrick hopefully you're tracking down a simple fix yourself, I'm only wondering just how bad the R w/DTR is thermally handicapped. The IS38 seemed unaffected by temp fluctuations... and if it wasn't for how smooth the DTR feels I might already be looking at swapping back :oops: . But I'm OCD about turbo lag/low end more than others might be.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Have had little time this week to put it through its paces or keep up on here, but there's definitely a difference in 80 degree vs 65 degree weather on my DTR as well. A HUGE butt dyno difference. Got my wastegate adjusted which might also have helped.

So for those well versed in turbo thermodynamics, what's going to help with heatsoak/sensitivity here (other than meth). Thermal wrap the turbo, charge pipes, etc, if the engine bay is affecting things? Any significant difference you've seen in aftermarket IC's, stock location vs. FMIC, etc? Patrick hopefully you're tracking down a simple fix yourself, I'm only wondering just how bad the R w/DTR is thermally handicapped. The IS38 seemed unaffected by temp fluctuations... and if it wasn't for how smooth the DTR feels I might already be looking at swapping back :oops: . But I'm OCD about turbo lag/low end more than others might be.

It shouldn't make that much of a difference if your IAT is in check. Plus, APR said it's a torque targeting calibration so it shouldn't have large variations in performance if it's hot or cold. A lot of the issues so many people have can be understood better with logging of relevant information. It will tell us so much.

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
Question for all in here. Is anyone running this with the iev2 Inter cooler? I have one sitting in my garage I haven’t installed yet. If so did everything connect fine? Did you need the adapter kit for the Apr Inter cooler? Custom piping/hoses? Trying to decide if I keep it or sell and get the APR Inter cooler before getting this turbo.

I've been told that the stock charge pipes at our level of power are not restrictive or strained, so a waste to upgrade those. The included adapter in the kit for stock pipes worked fine as well, can't be certain for your setup though.

AeroRick08

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R - Manual
It shouldn't make that much of a difference if your IAT is in check. Plus, APR said it's a torque targeting calibration so it shouldn't have large variations in performance if it's hot or cold. A lot of the issues so many people have can be understood better with logging of relevant information. It will tell us so much.

Thanks, I'll dive into whatever logs I can provide with OBD11 soon. Going to see if IAT's change significantly when I test the 3 airboxes currently in my possession, the IE v2 open, APR closed carbon fiber, and the stock box with AFe filter and baffle delete.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I've been told that the stock charge pipes at our level of power are not restrictive or strained, so a waste to upgrade those. The included adapter in the kit for stock pipes worked fine as well, can't be certain for your setup though.
Yeah. I wasn’t planning on upgrading. More trying to figure out what is needed to connect to the ie v2 and if it made sense to install or to try to get the Apr instead. Was only going to change pipes and hoses if I had to