GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^couldn't agree more on both counts. my dealer is like 15 minutes away from me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
sooo I got a call today from APR notifying me that there is indeed an ECU revision ready for my car - yes, the R, after all. Lol. IDK what the tune revision entails, as all the info in here was supposed to only be for the FWD variants.

mo' powa baby?

@Arin@APR more info possible Arin?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
mo' powa baby?

Haha, hopes so! Yeah, some of the R/S3 box codes (with fueling) needed a change after further looking. We called each person / dealer to let them know the files were ready and we're paying labor.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
And for the rest of the GTI's Peasants.
Coming! Far more box codes in use. I suspect they'll get it all wrapped up by next week.

I do apologize for the delay. It's a bunch of time consuming work, including a ton of verification. I don't want to waste anyone's time again with another trip to the dealer.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
1652448847335.png

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I think it's cool Garret did this. Before we went down the path of making our own systems we were in touch with them quite a bit, especially on other projects and platforms. We were always a fan of factory upgrades (IS38's / k04's, things of that nature), but they never had anything for the platforms we were after in the early days. Most probably don't know this, but it's not uncommon for multiple big players like Continental, IHI, Honeywell, and Borg Warner to make competing factory turbos in a bid to win the rights to make a unit for a production vehicle. Most of that work just gets thrown away.

I don't recall how much I can actually say, but ultimately we chose to go a different route. In doing so I think we came in with a killer offering that has many specs and features that are desirable and hard to beat. When you combine that with our all in price, which includes matching emissions legal software, I think the DTR is a home run.
Quite the coincidence that APR arrived at a design that is indistinguishable from the Garrett G25-550 (Introduced in 2017).
VendorAPR Garrett
Ball bearingYesYes
Compressor housing bleed slotsYesYes
Compressor wheel inducer (mm)4848
Compressor wheel exducer (mm)6060
Compressor blades99
Compressor splitter bladesNoNo
Turbine wheel inducer (mm) 5454
Turbine wheel exducer (mm)4949
Turbine wheel blades99
Speed sensor portYesYes

Nhjosh182

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Volkswagen GTI
Okay so here goes my attempt at a review:

Mk7 GTI, 6 speed MT. Coming from EQT stage 1, and I have also had APR's stage 1.

This turbo is very impressive and smooth. It was installed on Tuesday, and I have only done 1 highway run, and the drive back to my house, so its a short term review.

Obviously everyone is talking about how the power curve is clearly in the upper end, and it is, but I don't think that is a bad thing. It feels great. Stage 1 on the IS20 felt like it would just jerk around, and was a little more wild on the low end, but this completely tames that. This is a very smooth low end, and I am incredibly impressed with that.

Now getting on the highway is a lot of fun. Honestly, the power kind of sneaks up on you, and you look down and you're going 120mph and the car is still climbing like it was at 70mph. You can definitely feel the acceleration, it just takes a little bit and then you're in the real power band.

Overall, I'm very happy with this, no regrets, and for $1500 how can you go wrong? I'm having a lot of fun driving this, and I'll try and make a long term review once I get some real miles on it.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Okay so here goes my attempt at a review:

Mk7 GTI, 6 speed MT. Coming from EQT stage 1, and I have also had APR's stage 1.

This turbo is very impressive and smooth. It was installed on Tuesday, and I have only done 1 highway run, and the drive back to my house, so its a short term review.

Obviously everyone is talking about how the power curve is clearly in the upper end, and it is, but I don't think that is a bad thing. It feels great. Stage 1 on the IS20 felt like it would just jerk around, and was a little more wild on the low end, but this completely tames that. This is a very smooth low end, and I am incredibly impressed with that.

Now getting on the highway is a lot of fun. Honestly, the power kind of sneaks up on you, and you look down and you're going 120mph and the car is still climbing like it was at 70mph. You can definitely feel the acceleration, it just takes a little bit and then you're in the real power band.

Overall, I'm very happy with this, no regrets, and for $1500 how can you go wrong? I'm having a lot of fun driving this, and I'll try and make a long term review once I get some real miles on it.
Pumped for my install next Friday!

What’s your mod list, do you have an IC?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
A little more recon work because I was curious. Appears the DTR6054 is actually a little bigger than the Powermax stage 1.
I used this chart for reference https://mygolfmk7.com/mk7-gti-turbochargers/

View attachment 248982View attachment 248980
View attachment 248981

Some key differences between the two for anyone curious.
-Powermax is journal bearing with reinforced thrust bearing (similar to a hyrbid IS38), DTR is ball bearing.
-Powermax has a twin scroll housing, the DTR does not.
-According to flow claims, IE says the Powermax flows 17% better then the IS38. APR claims 30% more flow with the DTR over the IS38.
-DTR = Emissions legal, Powermax... not
-Power claims seem similar between the two according to manufactures data (up to ~500hp), although it looks like IE focus on more torque with the Powermax.

I love seeing the different new turbo options coming out for these cars with OTS tunes. Makes me think there are going to be some ridiculously fast MQB cars over the next few years. Which is good because we can all unite and put those electric cars to shame!
The garrett exhaust housing really isn't really a true twin scroll housing.
IMG_1723.PNG
IMG_1724.PNG

1652460419831.png

1652460484759.png

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Doesn’t e85 rob low end power for top end power? I understand it’s small amount, but with concerns of the turbo lag?
this is not true at all, but the misconception is a reverse of the truth: because ethanol requires more flow, if you're fuel-limited you'd be limiting top-end boost to stay within safe limits.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Update

Just on a personal note, I'll be out of the office eventually (We're having another baby). But don't fret. If I'm gone when the update comes, the support team is likely going to take care of just calling each person and dealer that has flashed software. That way you'll get the update details directly from them, and we'll have all communication with the dealer fleshed out so there's no worries about getting charged for labor.

Looking very much so like we'll also have some European support shortly too!