GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
it really feels just like my stage 1 in terms of power deliver where that mid-range surge is replaced by a linear pull. The speed and power is there 100% but the sensation, at least for a turbo car isn’t. It drives just like a 3.something V6 does but with a different soundtrack

for the longest time the goal of OEMs was to make turbo cars fee linear and non-turbo…well now they’ve done it 😂

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
it really feels just like my stage 1 in terms of power deliver where that mid-range surge is replaced by a linear pull. The speed and power is there 100% but the sensation, at least for a turbo car isn’t. It drives just like a 3.something V6 does but with a different soundtrack

for the longest time the goal of OEMs was to make turbo cars fee linear and non-turbo…well now they’ve done it 😂
To me your description matches the power curve comparison between stage 1 and the DTR (posted again below for those who don’t want to dig for it). When the DTR curves cross the stage 1 curves at around 3.3K rpm, it just pulls and pulls til redline.

Did you personally feel noticeable lag compared to stage 1 prior to that power curve “crossover” point, or did the power feel “eminent” (for lack of a better word)?

Also did the pull towards redline feel compelling and safe enough to not want to shift early?

Attachments

• CE215FA1-96C6-48E1-923A-A1CF668CEFE3.jpeg
    CE215FA1-96C6-48E1-923A-A1CF668CEFE3.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 88

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
To me your description matches the power curve comparison between stage 1 and the DTR (posted again below for those who don’t want to dig for it). When the DTR curves cross the stage 1 curves at around 3.3K rpm, it just pulls and pulls til redline.

Did you personally feel noticeable lag compared to stage 1 prior to that power curve “crossover” point, or did the power feel “eminent” (for lack of a better word)?

Also did the pull towards redline feel compelling and safe enough to not want to shift early?
So I never really had the car under 3000 rpm before I did any pulls for two reasons…one is just a habit from driving a manual, the second is that it would make more sense just to downshift to second or whatever.

I did pulls from 3000-7000 with no feeling of lag. It gets into boost threshold seamlessly but, if you’re driving in gear it feels 100% like a na motor unless you’re looking to catch it off guard. I never felt like I was waiting for power so yeah it was an “eminent” feeling in that (in gear!!) the power and responsiveness was totally there.

The tune and turbo totally comes alive right at 5000 just like what other people have said. It feels like fucking vtec. No lie. Even at 6500 rpm the power curve is still climbing; I would have ran it to 7200 if it was my car.

To clarify though, I’m already adjusted and content with the way APR has been tuning their cars lately and I actually don’t care for the turbo shove anymore. Having power drop off after 5500 is dumb in an enthusiast car, especially if you’re driving a manual.

A linear powerband with a fully fleshed out power curve is more important to me. Maybe it’s slower in an autocross or a roll race but it gives the car a character that I prefer.

https://youtube.com/shorts/0apbekudhiY?feature=share

^^ 3rd gear pull in stage 1 if someone was to pair with DTR video

Last edited:

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
This is normal I would assume? I don’t have another turbo to compare it to.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1vXDC0t3Ex8?feature=share
That is decently excessive I would say. I can check my IS20, but my Vortex I removed with 20k miles had less travel/displacement then that. Bit more than new compared to my TPC38. Might not cause an issue if it covers the bypass port independent of coverage. But that much play will 100% effect WG voltages.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
What is your support ticket number? I can look into it.

EDIT: Found your post. Spoke to support. No tickets. No phone calls. We can’t help you if you don’t call or email.
This is normal I would assume? I don’t have another turbo to compare it to.

https://youtube.com/shorts/1vXDC0t3Ex8?feature=share
Send the video to APR since it’s their turbo. They’ll know what’s normal or not.
Based on Arin's previous comment, it would seem that APR is only answering support tickets (if you were looking for a reply from APR directly). Don't expect much from this thread unless you're looking for input from other buyers (which is what I think you were doing).