GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Counter argument. @branman1 doesn't owe anybody here a single thing. I'd love to see the results as much as the next guy. But his reasoning count be as simple as "Eh, I don't feel like it.", and like grown ass men, we shouldn't bitch about that.
Honestly if thats the answer thats fine. But he should say that instead of open ended stuff like "weeeeeeell, I don't really see the value in sharing the data"

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Honestly if thats the answer thats fine. But he should say that instead of open ended stuff like "weeeeeeell, I don't really see the value in sharing the data"

I’ve explained myself multiple times and still get asked why. Love you guys ❤️

arob157

Drag Racing Champion

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Idk about all this speculation 😂😂 and witch hunting but I’ve got some real world impressions courtesy of @ChristopherNeil

there’s no torque shove. Like none…zero. It just picks up and pull until 5k where it does a vtec impression up till seven grand. Idk it the DSG and the 6mt have the same gear ratios, but it runs through 3rd gear quickly as if it was second. It’s still making power well into 6000+ rpm’s too.

compared to my stage one (323 hp crank) it feels like a substantial upgrade in speed but not a dramatic upgrade in power because the power curve doesn’t have any “surprises”. There’s no low end surge or a dramatic run up to redline so if you’re expecting drama and fury lol somewhere else lol

as an Apr tune it’s beyond smooth and very very linear which I actually prefer, especially for a fwd car where that shove of torque and overwork the front tires pulling out of a tight turn.

I honestly can’t tell you if it’s actually 400 hp; that’s really a thing that’s noticeable at felony speeds and i don’t really someone with those aspirations is seriously considering APR. I trust Aprs numbers; I know Keehs360 with the same tune as me and it ran a little stronger than their claims

It does feel like the jump to stage 1 from stock but I’m not going to put a number to it. My interest hasn’t changed and I’ll be a prospective customer if they get carb approval

ryansonfire

Go Kart Newbie
So it was done SAE and uncorrected from what I saw. Also I was told by the guy that kinda keeps the dyno calibrated and updated I guess. It has been calibrated to be closer to a mustang dyno. I guess it was reading higher and they wanted it to be more accurate to a mustang for some reason. Again none of this means shit without a before dyno.
With all due respect I believe it does mean shit without a before dyno. Apr released how many dynos comparing what a stock gti should make and it's pretty consistent. And then they said bolt this up and make this much, no where did they say it's "x" hp over stock or the typical 50-100 hp gains like they do on their intakes or exhaust. They said they were laying down over 400 lbs and suspect it's no where close. when they do update this tune to be more inline with advertised everyone's going to have to pay a shop to update this tune. What sucks is that Apr will not warranty or stand behind this unless you use their garbage tune.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Idk about all this speculation 😂😂 and witch hunting but I’ve got some real world impressions courtesy of @ChristopherNeil

there’s no torque shove. Like none…zero. It just picks up and pull until 5k where it does a vtec impression up till seven grand. Idk it the DSG and the 6mt have the same gear ratios, but it runs through 3rd gear quickly as if it was second. It’s still making power well into 6000+ rpm’s too.

compared to my stage one (323 hp crank) it feels like a substantial upgrade in speed but not a dramatic upgrade in power because the power curve doesn’t have any “surprises”. There’s no low end surge or a dramatic run up to redline so if you’re expecting drama and fury lol somewhere else lol

as an Apr tune it’s beyond smooth and very very linear which I actually prefer, especially for a fwd car where that shove of torque and overwork the front tires pulling out of a tight turn.

I honestly can’t tell you if it’s actually 400 hp; that’s really a thing that’s noticeable at felony speeds and i don’t really someone with those aspirations is seriously considering APR. I trust Aprs numbers; I know Keehs360 with the same tune as me and it ran a little stronger than their claims

It does feel like the jump to stage 1 from stock but I’m not going to put a number to it. My interest hasn’t changed and I’ll be a prospective customer if they get carb approval

sums up my thoughts about it as well very nicely. its very not punchy like it was before

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
On the bright side, I scanned for readiness at it seemed it passed.
IMG_9324.PNG
IMG_9325.PNG
IMG_9326.PNG
IMG_9327.PNG

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
sums up my thoughts about it as well very nicely. its very not punchy like it was before
Lines up with what I’ve been thinking. Stock downpipe is hurting spool and shifting the power band to the right. Is20 is so punchy and hits down low roasting the tires off that it “feels” faster. Kinda like watching an awd car launch, no drama and it runs a 10 second pass.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
IS20 is deceiving cause it can get pretty wild down low, Since having the hybrid in there, I don't have the low down drama but my 140 km/h ding for speeding chimes in no time, makes me go, huh, that fast eh?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is basically what I’ve been inferring- — that the totally different powerband and behavior of this turbo doesn’t “feel” as exciting. Even if it hits 400hp, people aren’t feeling it. Especially when your reference point is is20 or is38 tunes. Our brains are perhaps expecting the same powerband but more.

Years ago, when the STI was new in the US, those of us with stg 2 setups were faster in autocross and shorter tracks than the big turbos STI's.

I'm not a fan of a turbo with nothing down low.

I think using the stock DP on almost any big turbo is going to exaggerate the weaker lower end of a big turbo.

I get what APR is trying to do, and hope it works out, but it's going to be tough.