GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
At home flashing - totally understood. I know this is something people want, and it's an active long term project. I can't give ETAs or anything like that. So don't purchase it based on assuming it will happen shortly if that's a sticking point.

APR mobile does not work with this platform. The mobile was only used to send commands to the ECU to switch programs rather than using the cruise control stalk. The functionality of even changing programs has not been built in a way that would be scalable to the number of flashes we do a day.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
At home flashing - totally understood. I know this is something people want, and it's an active long term project. I can't give ETAs or anything like that. So don't purchase it based on assuming it will happen shortly if that's a sticking point.

APR mobile does not work with this platform. The mobile was only used to send commands to the ECU to switch programs rather than using the cruise control stalk. The functionality of even changing programs has not been built in a way that would be scalable to the number of flashes we do a day.
That's crazy to think. I know everyone has their own skill level in terms of program etc, but there are a group of guys who have developed the ability to flash a full bin cal from your phone to a bluetooth dongle and it takes about 45 seconds maybe. Kinda crazy a big company doesn't have the talent or resources to develop something like this. Not meant to be an offense to APR, just surprised this hasn't already been developed.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
That's crazy to think. I know everyone has their own skill level in terms of program etc, but there are a group of guys who have developed the ability to flash a full bin cal from your phone to a bluetooth dongle and it takes about 45 seconds maybe. Kinda crazy a big company doesn't have the talent or resources to develop something like this. Not meant to be an offense to APR, just surprised this hasn't already been developed.

The problem is keeping a handle on their IP during home flashing. They also have a dealer network to worry about.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
The problem is keeping a handle on their IP during home flashing. They also have a dealer network to worry about.
True, but this system becomes less and less ideal when you think that you have to have it flashed at a dealer at whatever they charge to plug in a cable, and then you might as well have the dealer install it so you don't have to trailer it, that's another 600(?) maybe. Power is great on this but then the P-Max Stg1 or a Vortex seems to make more sense for anyone being able to install from home.

Kingbambino22

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 Golf R
I'm sure it has it's challenges but having the option to flash at home would a huge selling point.
I'm very strongly considering the kit and having the ability to flash at home would make the decision easier.

For me:
93 oct would be run a majority of the time. However I will be doing some traveling this summer so being able to flash to 91 would offer piece of mind.
At some point I will head to the drag strip so being able to flash to the 104 tune would let me pick up easy HP for the night.
Similar for me. My Golf R is my daily/traveling car so that option would be nice. Still going to get the kit eventually

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Yeah. That's easy. We've done it with the APR mobile dongle too. In fact, what our dealers use is technically at home flashing. We created it for the VAG market in 2003? Maybe earlier. We even had at home flashing devices for our old soldered on chips.

However, the real change is changing the entire business model to be for end users. We need to make it work with our ecosystem, supporting an existing 20+ years worth of customers, the demand and load that that would take, automating billing, etc. That has challenges that take time.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Yeah. That's easy. We've done it with the APR mobile dongle too. In fact, what our dealers use is technically at home flashing. We created it for the VAG market in 2003? Maybe earlier. We even had at home flashing devices for our old soldered on chips.

However, the real change is changing the entire business model to be for end users. We need to make it work with our ecosystem, supporting an existing 20+ years worth of customers, the demand and load that that would take, automating billing, etc. That has challenges that take time.
Could be a model where only dealers can sell the cable. The cable is tied to a single vin (know this is possible from vcds) and initial tune up to dealer if they allow customer to do or insist on doing themself. Tune is still sold by dealer. Upgrade and a dealer still has to add the tune to your account or something. It would be some work but as someone in marketing myself not something I would consider insurmountable. Only way I will do an e85 tune where I live is if I can flash or if it is a flex tune. This is more important to me than CARB even since I can always flash to stock and swap a downpipe in a day twice a year. Not a huge deal.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

APR is owned by Holley - one of the largest automotive aftermarket parts developers/manufacturers/suppliers on the planet. Holley has one of the most popular stand alone ECU tuning suites on the market with the LS guys and for fuel injection conversions. I find it hard to believe APR can’t deliver an at-home flashing solution for this new turbo offering through the Cobb AP or something similar.
I plan on changing out turbos within the year. If I have to take my car to an APR dealer to make this whole thing work, I’ll pass up APR and pay the extra money to be able to do it at home and swap between tunes with a different company.

Last edited:

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
APR is owned by Holley - one of the largest automotive aftermarket parts developers/manufacturers/suppliers on the planet. Holley has one of the most popular stand alone ECU tuning suits on the market with the LS guys and for fuel injection conversions. I find it hard to believe APR can’t deliver an at-home flashing solution for this new turbo offering through the Cobb AP or something similar.
I plan on changing out turbos within the year. If I have to take my car to an APR dealer to make this whole thing work, I’ll pass up APR and pay the extra money to be able to do it at home and swap between tunes with a different company.
This exactly. Someone was a little salty when I mentioned not being able to flash at home, but honestly if you have the tech to do it and haven't figured out a model for licensing etc in the apparently 19 years since inception that's pretty sad.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
How about a flex fuel tune and add the sensor to the kit? That would eliminate the need for at home flashing. 😁
I'm sure this was figured out back in 2005 but they need to figure out a scheme for how to get it to end users by way of dealership network.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The APR DTR6054 now supports the ROW / European / Non-USA/Canada Markets!

Details
https://goapr.io/rowdtr

This ROW release is designed for use on Rest of World (ROW) / European / Non-USA / Non-Canadian market vehicles that feature a 2.0T EA888.3 engine with an IS20 factory turbocharger. Typical vehicles include the MQB Audi A3, Q3, S1, SQ2, and TT, VW Jetta / GLI, Golf GTI, and Tiguan, Skoda Octavia, Seat Leon, and more with manual and DSG/S-Tronic transmissions. This includes both Simos 18 and Simos 18.10 ECUs, and both GPF/OPF and Non-GPF/OPF based vehicles. Software support for IS38 factory turbocharger based vehicles such as the MQB Golf R, S3, and similar platform vehicles are still in development but not available at this time.

Please note:

Specific software is required to use this system. Software is included for various vehicles. Software compatibility must be checked before purchase. If no software is found, a software request must be made and filled before purchase. The software installs to your vehicle's factory ECU. Software can only be installed by an Authorized APR dealer.

This system reuses your factory electronic wastegate and electronic diverter valve. To safely achieve the advertised power use an upgraded Intake and Intercooler. To prevent clutch slip use our transmission software or a manual clutch upgrade. Use APR spark plugs or NGK heat range 9 (NGKR7437-9) spark plugs gapped to 0.024" ±0.002" or 0.6mm ±0.05mm with a change interval of 10-15,000 mi or 16-24,000 km. Always use a high performance oil with more frequent change intervals.

To fit this system with APR Compressor Outlet Pipes, use the APR DTR6054 Compressor Outlet Hose Conversion Kit (MS100213).