GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If I want it to shift without my input, I leave it in auto. When I push the shifter to manual (to use the paddle shifters) and the car is shifting for me without my input, I see that as an obstacle, not a convenience.
There's no point to not shifting though. You're not making any more power on a small turbo by revving it out. What situation would you want it to just hit the limiter instead?

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to do fuckboy things and bounce off the limiter.

The way the power band is on this turbo, it makes all the big boy power between 5-7k, where stage 2 peters off. Imagine doing an acceleration test on stage 2 and it shifting at 4k - that wouldn't yield the quickest results.

Now imagine you're anticipating to shift right under 7k and as you go to click the paddle, it does it a split second before you. What it's basically accomplishing is a first-to-third shift, with a split second pit stop in second gear. Makes for a very "wtf just happened- I was in first gear, clicked paddle once, but now I'm in third gear" situation.

I'm simply saying that I was under the impression that auto upshifts were tuned out of the program, because my car never did this on stage 2.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to do fuckboy things and bounce off the limiter.

The way the power band is on this turbo, it makes all the big boy power between 5-7k, where stage 2 peters off. Imagine doing an acceleration test on stage 2 and it shifting at 4k - that wouldn't yield the quickest results.

Now imagine you're anticipating to shift right under 7k and as you go to click the paddle, it does it a split second before you. What it's basically accomplishing is a first-to-third shift, with a split second pit stop in second gear. Makes for a very "wtf just happened- I was in first gear, clicked paddle once, but now I'm in third gear" situation.

I'm simply saying that I was under the impression that auto upshifts were tuned out of the program, because my car never did this on stage 2.
It’s an option when getting flashed and you have to ask for that option or they should have asked you before flashing. They should have asked for auto upshift/launch rpm preferences

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Kind of an interesting development. One of the independent tuning shops I use in OC wouldn’t quote me (over email) the purchase and/or install of the kit since it wasn’t yet CARB approved.
Called San Diego apr dealer (easy to guess who) and was quoted 2400 with everything (part, labor, software install, including taxes). Ima be be going to them once I decide to bite the bullet.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It’s an option when getting flashed and you have to ask for that option or they should have asked you before flashing. They should have asked for auto upshift/launch rpm preferences
Ok thank you. I'll contact them. I do remember being asked a few questions when I was flashing to stage 2.

They also mentioned to me that the GTI specific dtr6054 TCU tune is not 'finalized' (per APR), so I'll inform them of this. It didn't occur to me to inquire about those details 🤦🏻‍♂️

scrllock

Autocross Champion

The only flawed assumption here is "big boy power" after 5k, since by 5.5k torque is dropping--maybe upshifting a couple hundred rpm early is worse than I'm used to on the shorter 7-speed gearing but you have to be on a genuinely big turbo to make it worthwhile to really stay up that high in the revs. It's a 48mm turbo, not 60mm.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I suppose it's all relative. It's "big boy" compared to the IS20 and I'm adjusting to the new power band being considerably higher in the revs 😄 Definitely not trying to be the fastest car on the road, here's just an adjustment period for driving style

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
The only flawed assumption here is "big boy power" after 5k, since by 5.5k torque is dropping--maybe upshifting a couple hundred rpm early is worse than I'm used to on the shorter 7-speed gearing but you have to be on a genuinely big turbo to make it worthwhile to really stay up that high in the revs. It's a 48mm turbo, not 60mm.
The torque curve is irrelevant here because the different gear ratios make crank torque apples and oranges. You want to look at the power curve and shift only when the power you're making in the current gear is less than what you will make in the next gear. It appears that the peak of the power curve for this turbo is around 6300 with not much drop thereafter, so it could definitely make sense to hold the gear to redline (depending on the ratio of the shift).

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I should note, that price included replacing my factory downpipe, midpipe, fluids, new apr carbon inlet pipe, and vehicle to drive (comp'd).

I'm in San Diego, where even discounted rates are expensive. Space constraints (small garage), my admitted lack of knowledge on this platform, and it being my only vehicle at this time, justifies me paying a master tech to wrench and get it done right the first time. The owner of the dealership also loyally supports my business personally, so given an opportunity to support another family business is important.
Man...seeing those numbers hurt...but I must admit that if my GTI was my only car, doing the swap over a weekend for the first time would have been stressful. Though I still probably would find some help from someone who has done it before in San Diego to avoid paying $2k+ in labor. I've yet to pay a cent in labor (with the exception of mounting tires) on my GTI, its one way I justify my upgrades to the wife-to-be. (Her home town is San Diego, nice place to visit) See deer...rather than paying thousands in labor I spend those thousands in go-fast-bits. :ROFLMAO:

Wrenching on these cars isn't for everyone though, especially people who get frustrated easily.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I suppose it's all relative. It's "big boy" compared to the IS20 and I'm adjusting to the new power band being considerably higher in the revs 😄 Definitely not trying to be the fastest car on the road, here's just an adjustment period for driving style
I hear ya, I'm still adjusting to my Vortex, on my IS20 i'd shift around 6k and its been hard to program that out. 😅

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Man...seeing those numbers hurt...but I must admit that if my GTI was my only car, doing the swap over a weekend for the first time would have been stressful. Though I still probably would find some help from someone who has done it before in San Diego to avoid paying $2k+ in labor. I've yet to pay a cent in labor (with the exception of mounting tires) on my GTI, its one way I justify my upgrades to the wife-to-be. (Her home town is San Diego, nice place to visit) See deer...rather than paying thousands in labor I spend those thousands in go-fast-bits. :ROFLMAO:

Wrenching on these cars isn't for everyone though, especially people who get frustrated easily.
The labor part of my bill was only around a grand. If you factor parts I can sell off that I had to remove, I can probably recoup another 800-900.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Why not just let it shift? You want it to wind out anyways.
You don't wamt auto upshift when...
You are on a dyno
Doing logging
At least for me, if I am on the track, I don't want auto upshift

For daily traffic driving no big deal, it is more of a personal preference.
I loved my DSG tune because it would hold gears and I always drove my car in manual mode. If I wanted auto upshifts I put it in Auto and iif not drove in manual.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
when will the APR kit be available for euro engines? 100% e85 possible? with mpi? price?
We are working on Euro ECUs as we speak. I can't commit to a timetable though. The GTI will not have E85 or MPI. Price is the same on our end.

Jacks Golf R

Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
@Arin@APR How will the 91 flash for this turbo compare to my current APR Stage 2 High Torque flash(91)? Would I be making any sacrifices? Will my DSG need a revision as it currently has your TCU tune? Will I pick up MPH on my 1/4 mile?
19 Golf R
DQ381