GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I remember growing up in LA County and not being allowed to go out and play at recess due to smog alerts. The air was brownish orange and my lungs hurt. The politics of these policies drive me crazy but there is no doubt that the air quality has greatly improved in just a few decades.
I remember driving into sf and not being able to see downtown. But really pollution is an issue everywhere. Yes cars are a small drop in the bucket but I want to do my part. I like performance but not at the expense of the environment.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
negative, can confirm that stock dp sucks more
that's the lame part of the political aspect of environmentalism. The CARB is a grift. an aftermarket tune, DP or whatever that may actually be cleaner, more efficient, etc. is illegal without the CARB approval which costs $$$$$. If it was all about the environment, we'd still have sniffer tests, pass/ fail emissions based on results.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
that's the lame part of the political aspect of environmentalism. The CARB is a grift. an aftermarket tune, DP or whatever that may actually be cleaner, more efficient, etc. is illegal without the CARB approval which costs $$$$$. If it was all about the environment, we'd still have sniffer tests, pass/ fail emissions based on results.
California is great for a lot of reasons but they really nickel and dime the shit out of you there. I moved out in 2019 and while there's some things I miss there I haven't looked back

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Yeah yeah yeah. I prefer how it is now. In and out in 10 minutes. Most no longer even do visual if you pass readiness. No smog for 8 years on new cars. Better than most states with a full blown inspection.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
If you had to pay a tax based on everything you do that adds carbon tonthe atmosphere it would change things dramatically.
Flying
Having things shipped
Buying pretty much anything
Power consumption, a/c usage
Eating animals
Eating almost any food for that matter

Someone could ride a bicycle and still actually 'produce/use' more carbon than someone with a catless downpipe

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Curious. With the hpfp, lpfp, and mpi tune do all readiness codes get set on both pump gas and e85? If so it is stealth enough I may take my chance on this in ca. some have said that the new check for tunes isn’t really doing much and some non smog legal tunes are getting through this testing.
If I read correctly the hpfp lpfp mpi version is not for GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I don't agree. You can't have a free for all and just say that they "may" be as clean or cleaner. You need a certification process to insure that only those cars on the road and those upgrades equal a motor that meets emissions specs. Like someone else posted, I have seen the Southern California air go to absolutely horrible orange haze daily to clear blue skies now, even with many many more cars. Though I am a car enthusiast I am super happy with how California has cleaned up our air. And I am even happier that we are seeing the coming of age of tuning. It is really great to see companies like APR put out fully legal products.

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I don't agree. You can't have a free for all and just say that they "may" be as clean or cleaner. You need a certification process to insure that only those cars on the road and those upgrades equal a motor that meets emissions specs. Like someone else posted, I have seen the Southern California air go to absolutely horrible orange haze daily to clear blue skies now, even with many many more cars. Though I am a car enthusiast I am super happy with how California has cleaned up our air. And I am even happier that we are seeing the coming of age of tuning. It is really great to see companies like APR put out fully legal products.
Yeah, that was me as a kid in the LA smog. I agree with you point hence propose actual results when getting your car smogged as opposed to a blanket opposition to any tunes or hardware from developers who don’t pay their tithe.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Yeah, that was me as a kid in the LA smog. I agree with you point hence propose actual results when getting your car smogged as opposed to a blanket opposition to any tunes or hardware from developers who don’t pay their tithe.
Folks seem to think doing business in this area should not have any regulation for developers. There hasn't been any but the market has gotten so big it was bound to happen.

The idea is much like the same stuff auto manufacturers go through. You smog and safety test a small pool of the model/year car you intend to make thousands of and go through certifications. Once those cars are fully tested you don't have to test each car for emissions and safety.

Same for developers of tunes and performance hardware. They are going on street cars. Testing a few of each engine they intend to support and show that they pass emissions makes more sense than just letting developers and manufacturers flood the market with what ever they want and then have folks like ARB try and find all those cars that shouldn't be on the road. It has become an insurmountable task to enforce.

I am happy they are going after the developers and manufacturers, because it will push developers and manufacturers to provide more approved choices that allow us to mod our cars without emissions problems. Like the new APR turbo/tune that OP started this thread with that provides a huge increase in power and is CARB approved. Prior, you could get the power but no CARB.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
¿Esta actualización requiere un intercooler actualizado? O con el oem estaría bien, saludos y gracias.
There is a basic version that is just turbo and tune. If you have an Audi S3 or Golf 7R then you can go further with intercooler, hpfp, lpfp and mpi.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
And pollution sucks more soooo
My catted MAP downpipe keeps pollution at bay fine, thank you very much. Perhaps not well enough for politicians in California but I'm fortunate to live on the other side of the continent.