GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR vs. IE 2260

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Sorry to jack the thread here, but I decided today that I would stick with the gt2260 over the DTR. This is because of my hpfp, aftermarket downpipes, intercooler, etc. Would a custom tune on the DTR prove to be faster and more reliable in the long run?

My goal is to beat an f80 m3 competition in a roll race. These are my two options.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Sorry to jack the thread here, but I decided today that I would stick with the gt2260 over the DTR. This is because of my hpfp, aftermarket downpipes, intercooler, etc. Would a custom tune on the DTR prove to be faster and more reliable in the long run?

My goal is to beat an f80 m3 competition in a roll race. These are my two options.
If that's your goal, I hope they are stock. A FBO m3 comp runs 7's 60-130 nd neither of those turbos are making that kinda power without major weight reduction, kill tune and cold weather. Even then, maybe low 8's

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
If that's your goal, I hope they are stock. A FBO m3 comp runs 7's 60-130 nd neither of those turbos are making that kinda power without major weight reduction, kill tune and cold weather. Even then, maybe low 8's
Completely stock, he’s too broke making those payments 😂. I think something in 3rd gear would be in order, especially since he has the dct.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Are you sure about that 60 - 130 time? Because I've raced a few F80 M3's and they are pretty damn slow. It wasn't even a challenge to beat them. They only become decently fast when you boost them.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
If you decide to go with the DTR I have a new one for sale with code and I’ll include the Wastegate actuator and boost control solenoid so you don’t have to cannibalize your stock one. :)

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Are you sure about that 60 - 130 time? Because I've raced a few F80 M3's and they are pretty damn slow. It wasn't even a challenge to beat them. They only become decently fast when you boost them.
All the ones here in Jax are on E because almost every station has them. Both stage 2 guys I know run 7.70 and 8.20 stage 2 E file.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Since when does USP Motorsports tune cars? They are a parts store. Why won't you go with a custom tune from a reputable tuner?
They do not custom tune, not sure where that came from. They are my local shop and stock both IE and APR and have already done a lot of work on my car so I trust them. I could go custom tune at this point, but as far as what is stocked and supported locally to me, USP is my option, meaning APR DTR Stage 3, or IE 2260s and their stage 3 is what I have been considering.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They do not custom tune, not sure where that came from. They are my local shop and stock both IE and APR and have already done a lot of work on my car so I trust them. I could go custom tune at this point, but as far as what is stocked and supported locally to me, USP is my option, meaning APR DTR Stage 3, or IE 2260s and their stage 3 is what I have been considering.
Well both @Diggs24 and I were confused when talking about tunes you mentioned that you are going to stick with USP because they are local. A custom tune will always get you better results for power and longevity with your turbo. All you need to do is buy a Cobb Access Port (AP) and pick a tuner and they will send you the files to load onto your AP. It's so much easier than APR's archaic way of tuning plus you can live monitor different parameters with the AP and if you ever sell your car, you can sell the AP.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Which setup you going with instead?
Not sure. I realized the APR turbo won’t meet my goals, and my ADHD has kicked in and am looking at a secondary project currently. I have an is20, and is38 sitting in my garage as well. I may try to hit 11s with the is20.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
@JerseyDrew77 The f80 comes boosted already! We did a roll last night and he dusted me all the way up to 150. I am definitely going to custom tune any turbo I get, so what would you recommend between the gt2260s, DTR, or another turbo within the prices of those two?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
@JerseyDrew77 The f80 comes boosted already! We did a roll last night and he dusted me all the way up to 150. I am definitely going to custom tune any turbo I get, so what would you recommend between the gt2260s, DTR, or another turbo within the prices of those two?
Ok, they must have been the E92 version, which has the V8 engine.

What's the price point for those two turbo's?