GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR vs. IE 2260

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
You're in florida.. The DTR is not for you.
lol, tell that to APR, they wont listen to me. I asked them to release a fuck the epa file for those of us not in California and who should be grandfathered into software that supports their downpipe.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
lol, tell that to APR, they wont listen to me. I asked them to release a fuck the epa file for those of us not in California and who should be grandfathered into software that supports their downpipe.
They are no longer in the business of making any fuck the EPA products because they want to stay on the EPA's good side. Just get a vortex.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Or if you already have a DTR and want to retain your downpipe, get it custom tuned.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Or if you already have a DTR and want to retain your downpipe, get it custom tuned.
Yeah a few have tuned them. I believe both EQT and UM at least. Possibly sneaky and IE. I am sure 034 would as well if not already. Pick your tuner and most can probably get you something that would allow it with a downpipe.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Yeah a few have tuned them. I believe both EQT and UM at least. Possibly sneaky and IE. I am sure 034 would as well if not already. Pick your tuner and most can probably get you something that would allow it with a downpipe.
IE Does custom tunes?

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
I don't plan on doing this, but I'd be curious what removing the second cat in the OE downpipe would do for spool. There is no sensor monitoring the second cat, so removing it, put in a "test" pipe, swap back and forth easily for emissions states that check for OE cats. Could even do a v-band setup. Might be more work than it's worth but I would think it would be good for a little gain in spool.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
FWIW, I’m using a HFC Downpipe and O2 spacer on my DTR, improved spool over using stock pipe and no CEL.

Pulls hard and is killer up top compared to my IS38. I don’t see a reason to get custom tuned on it as logs show everything is fine even with the downpipe.
Considering at least two motors have imploded after a DTR install (That we know of), you should probably attain a real tune. What do you use for logging to confirm "everything is fine"? Share the log via datazap?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No large company can do that anymore, the EPA is federal, not California. APR and Cobb aren't going to do anything that violates federal law.

You might still find smaller companies that are flying under the radar offering solutions that violate federal law, but none of the big companies are going to do that. They will be fined back to the stone age. You can thank the diesel bros for all this. They're the ones that drew the EPA's attention.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
No large company can do that anymore, the EPA is federal, not California. APR and Cobb aren't going to do anything that violates federal law.

You might still find smaller companies that are flying under the radar offering solutions that violate federal law, but none of the big companies are going to do that. They will be fined back to the stone age. You can thank the diesel bros for all this. They're the ones that drew the EPA's attention.
You mean to tell me that those two idiot rednecks, that have a TV show on the Discovery channel, ruined it for all of us?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You mean to tell me that those two idiot rednecks, that have a TV show on the Discovery channel, ruined it for all of us?
Yep, a doctor in Utah was flipping channels, watched the show, bought a truck from them, had it tested, and the rest is history. He reported them to the EPA and both sued the owners. Seriously, that's what started the EPA going after companies producing emissions defeat devices for gas cars too.

On top of the 850,000 fine, they were ordered to pay 1.2 million in legal fees for the plantiffs.

This is why APR and Cobb won't sell you anything that defeats any part of the emissions system, even if you don't live in California.

They have been going after diesel emissions cheats prior to Deisel Bros, but they ramped up the heat after that case and started moving from civil fines, to looking at criminal cases. They started sending cease and desist letters to companies like Cobb and APR. It's definitely had a ripple effect in the entire aftermarket industry.

It has zero to do with California. Defeating emissions equipment is a federal crime.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32533...50000-fine-for-tampering-with-truck-emissions

Last edited: