GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR vs. IE 2260

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I've been comparing these two new setups side by side as its what's available and supported at my local tuner which is USP Motorsports. Was wondering what everybody's opinion is on which option they would go with and why?

With either setup I would be upgrading fueling too, with APR going all the way to MPI and E85, and according to IE's Instagram page, they are going to be offering port injection on this setup soon too.

They both offer pretty close power number (I know they are probably both exaggerated), the only downside for me with APR is I would have to go back to my stock downpipe which would negatively affect the engine noise and top end power with how restrictive the stock cats were. And with IE, I would be giving up port injection (at least for now, but they do not offer an ETA on port injection).

Another downside to APR is if I were ever unable to find E85 (theres only 2 stations in my area that carry it) Id be kind of SOL, whereas the IE flex fuel sensor allows the tune to adjust to anything from 91 up to E40 (max E content for now). And to switch between 93 and E85 tunes on APR would require an hour drive to USP since they do not yet (again no ETA) offer at home tune switching

I'm currently FBO APR Stage 2, so already have all other necessary hardware. I asked this over on VW Vortex too and didn't get much of a response.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
The turbo has nothing to do with IE, other than that they offer a tune for it. You can have whomever you want tune it. If you have port injection there's no reason you shouldn't be able to run full e85 with the right tune.

The results we've seen from the APR turbo don't make it look obviously better than the Garrett. If anything, it's lazier, but maybe that's because most of the results are on stock downpipe. If you want to enjoy it this summer, keep in mind the APR is backordered til Aug/Sept as well.

IMO I wouldn't want either company tuning my car, so I'd go with the Garrett just from a cost perspective. My $0.02.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I'm stock fueling right now, if I go with APR I was going to get their full stage 3 kit which comes with fuel pumps, injectors, and everything needed for MPI. I'm not thrilled with losing my downpipe I already spent $900 on from them.

If I go with IE all I need right now for the garrett turbo is a HPFP, and they are "testing port injection setups" and may add it to their kit soon. That seems like it would get their setup over 500hp and over 500tq which seems to be the safe limit on stock engine internals.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Unlikely the Garrett will make 500 even with fueling. The Apr option is attractive since it includes the tune but here in Florida you’re not held back by emissions testing.

projectTVMK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi A3
If you're looking to make 500 whp, I would just get one these hybrid turbos (EQT Vortex XL, TPC38, Littco500, etc...), MPI, RS3 LPFP. Buy a Cobb Accessport and get an E85 tune with whomever you prefer.
For flex fuel tune, you only have United Motorsports at this level.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Unlikely the Garrett will make 500 even with fueling. The Apr option is attractive since it includes the tune but here in Florida you’re not held back by emissions testing.

Neither one will make 500. The DTR makes more power, it's a rated 47lb compressor, i overspun one testing and made an honest 477whp (488whp with a generous dyno correction factor) on a tune i would not send the customer out the door with. Realistically it's an honest 460-465whp unit at or just a hair over the estimated shaft speed limit (i did not have a sensor, but basic math says i was well off the compressor map on the hot tune).

The 2260 is a 42lb compressor. If you follow the shaft speed limits (which you should on that turbo) it's going to be 420-430whp on E85. 380-400 on pump. Doesn't matter what fuel system you have, the airflow isn't there to use it.

The DTR has a clear advantage in power, the 2260 has a clear advantage in spool/response.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Neither one will make 500. The DTR makes more power, it's a rated 47lb compressor, i overspun one testing and made an honest 477whp (488whp with a generous dyno correction factor) on a tune i would not send the customer out the door with. Realistically it's an honest 460-465whp unit at or just a hair over the estimated shaft speed limit (i did not have a sensor, but basic math says i was well off the compressor map on the hot tune).

The 2260 is a 42lb compressor. If you follow the shaft speed limits (which you should on that turbo) it's going to be 420-430whp on E85. 380-400 on pump. Doesn't matter what fuel system you have, the airflow isn't there to use it.

The DTR has a clear advantage in power, the 2260 has a clear advantage in spool/response.
This is I think the first time I’ve seen anyone reference airflow on this platform as lb/min. For my own knowledge what’s the vortex standard rated at?

also get off the forums and send me my e85 file 🤣🤣

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Exactly, part of the reason I don't want to give up my downpipe, but APR will not release a different file for those of us who are already grandfathered in with their downpipe and Stage 2 tunes. Not having to lose the downpipe would make their DTR system a lot more appealing, at least to me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
This is I think the first time I’ve seen anyone reference airflow on this platform as lb/min. For my own knowledge what’s the vortex standard rated at?

also get off the forums and send me my e85 file 🤣🤣

We could estimate it but I don't think there's an advertised number.

And yes boss! Lol!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
If you're looking to make 500 whp, I would just get one these hybrid turbos (EQT Vortex XL, TPC38, Littco500, etc...), MPI, RS3 LPFP. Buy a Cobb Accessport and get an E85 tune with whomever you prefer.
For flex fuel tune, you only have United Motorsports at this level.
plenty of guys on open source with flex fuel now. and several other commercial tuners are offering it now (galano, littco, logic st performance).

Exactly, part of the reason I don't want to give up my downpipe, but APR will not release a different file for those of us who are already grandfathered in with their downpipe and Stage 2 tunes. Not having to lose the downpipe would make their DTR system a lot more appealing, at least to me.
given you're in florida I really dunno why you'd go with the APR unit, at least with their tune. it might make 480whp on an EQT kill-your-turbo tune, but they can't get rid of your CEL either. lots of options besides the holley/engineered performance conglomerates.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
So consensus so far is APR is the better option between the two?

I say between the two because that's what is local to me and what is offered and supported by my tuner.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
plenty of guys on open source with flex fuel now. and several other commercial tuners are offering it now (galano, littco, logic st performance).

given you're in florida I really dunno why you'd go with the APR unit, at least with their tune. it might make 480whp on an EQT kill-your-turbo tune, but they can't get rid of your CEL either. lots of options besides the holley/engineered performance conglomerates.
Im just going with what is local to me and what is offered and supported by USP Motorsports which is where I take my car.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
If you're going to use your stock downpipe, I don't see how the APR would be better by any metric.
I don't want to, but they no longer support their DP which I got when I went stage 2. That's why I was leaning towards IE because i still use an aftermarket DP, although with IE I lose port injection.