GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*** APR DSG Upgrade Software Now Available @ APTuning ***

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance

APTuning is pleased to offer the ultimate transmission control unit (TCU) upgrade for the DQ250 Exx & Fxx DSG and S tronic transmissions, ! APR’s TCU upgrade is available in engine and power level specific variations and is conveniently flashed to the vehicle’s factory TCU through the OBD-II port. APR’s patented DirectPort Programming Suite allows the end user to customize the TCU upgrade to their individual needs.

APR’s TCU upgrade enhances the driving experience by incorporating many of the same features typically reserved for high-end Audi Quattro GmbH RS models. Under blistering, wide-open throttle acceleration, the transmission shifts even more quickly than before with a higher rev limit. However, during normal, day-to-day driving, the TCU Upgrade delivers a smooth, more refined, driving experience.

End User Adjustability

APR’s DirectPort programming suite allows users to custom tailor the TCU upgrade to their needs at the time of installation. Users are given the following options, which they may change at an APR dealer at any time:

• User definable APR pre-optimized shift patterns based on current stage of engine performance
  • User definable launch control RPM
  • User definable manual mode max RPM
  • User definable manual mode automatic upshift on or off
  • User definable manual mode automatic downshift on or off (Kickdown switch)

Drive Mode Characteristics

Drive mode’s performance and comfort is greatly improved based upon the current stage of engine performance. Gear change upshift and downshift points occur based on engine load and throttle position, rather than hard set points, and as such occur more smoothly and less abruptly. The driver may feel more connected to the vehicle as the gear changes occur more naturally. Under part throttle driving, the transmission will stay in the current gear until the appropriate moment necessary to shift, rather than jumping to higher gears too quickly. This is especially true for calibrations geared towards larger turbocharger systems where response characteristics of the turbocharger changes the part throttle driving experience. Under wide-open throttle acceleration, shifting times are reduced and the maximum shift point RPM is set to the ECU’s rev limiter.

Sport Mode Characteristics

Sport mode’s performance and comfort is also greatly improved based upon the current stage of engine performance. Expect extremely fast gear changes as the wide-open throttle shift times are reduced. APR’s taken a two-stage approach to wide-open throttle operation as well. Shift points are optimized to deliver the fastest acceleration possible under wide-open throttle by following the torque curve of each available stage. However, with the pedal pressed far enough to hold the kickdown switch, shifts points override the torque curve and now occur at the maximum engine RPM!

Part-throttle drivability is greatly improved too. Some factory DQ250 transmission software is too aggressively geared towards holding high RPMs, and often uncomfortably downshifts when unwanted. Under low accelerator pedal position, low load driving, gearshifts occur earlier, allowing the driver to enjoy sport mode even during those moments when wide-open throttle operation is not permissible. However, should the driver request more torque with his or her right foot, the transmission comes alive in the true spirit of sport mode!

Manual Mode Characteristics

At the time of installation, the user is able to select several options that change the behavior of manual mode. The user has the ability to enable or disable either the manual mode automatic kickdown switch for automatic downshifts as well as the automatic upshift that occurs at redline. For safety and acceleration, APR’s engineers kept the automatic upshift present in first gear.

The ECU defines the maximum engine RPM possible. Using APR’s user definable max RPM settings, the end user can match the ECU’s RPM to the TCU RPM to avoid hitting the engine rev limiter should the automatic redline upshift option remain active. In the case where an APR ECU Upgrade's redline is lower than expected, APR can issue a free ECU update to correct the max engine RPM.

During manual mode shifting times are not only greatly improved, but the artificial delays between requesting a shift with the paddles and shifter are reduced as well. As soon as a shift request is made, the transmission instantly begins the shifting routine. Furthermore, the downshift lockout is removed, allowing the operator to downshift at any point, so long as the next gear does not surpass the max engine RPM.

With manual mode tailored to the end users need, they are presented with a more enjoyable driving experience that operates exactly how they choose. We call it Performance Without Compromise!

Launch Control

APR’s TCU upgrade enables launch control on all vehicles. At the time of installation, the user is able to select their desired launch RPM, as they see fit! Launch control activates quickly, with a wider operating window, by limiting some of the stubborn activation criteria some models face during activation. The end user will notice launches now occur more rapidly with less delay between releasing the brake and forward momentum. The clutches fully grab quickly off the line and shift times are reduced. This directly translates into faster acceleration!

Gear display indicator

APR’s TCU upgrade enables the gear display indicator for Drive and Sport mode in the vehicle's multi function display.

Torque Limits

All too often TCU upgrades are sold as a solution to “torque limiters” in which many companies charge extra to raise. While some companies may have trouble with torque interventions from the transmission, even at stage I power and torque levels, APR ECU upgrades do not require a TCU upgrade to meet advertised peak torque levels. APR does not charge extra to “raise the limits.” Raising the limits does not increase performance and does not increase the transmission’s ability to hold more torque. The maximum torque limiters are simply removed, allowing customers unrestricted operation. In the event torque is limited by the factory clutches, upgraded units may be installed and torque may be increased without TCU intervention.

DSG Temperature Management

Temperature management is an important part of the DQ250 transmission. While some software may simply remove temperature protection routines all together and claim increased cooling performance, APR’s TCU upgrade only allows the maximum safe temperature levels before intervention. Unlike the factory intervention routine, which simply allows for nearly no torque to be transmitted through the transmission at all, APR’s over temp intervention allows for a very limited amount of torque, enough so the vehicle can be safely driven off the track or pulled to the side of the road. In keeping the vehicle moving, airflow continues across the radiator, which in turn keeps coolant temps low and aids in removing heat from the factory DQ250 water to oil cooler to restore full operation.

Typical Max ECU Rev Limits
  • Naturally Aspirated Engines (ex, 3.6L FSI) - 6,800 RPM
  • 2.0T TDI CR Engines - TBD
  • 2.0T EA113 K03 Turbo Engines - 6,800 RPM
  • 2.0T EA113 K04 Turbo Engines - 7,100 RPM
  • 1.8T & 2.0T EA888 Gen 1 IHI Turbo Engines - 6,800 RPM
  • 2.0T EA888 Gen 2 IHI Turbo Engines - 6,800 RPM
  • 2.0T EA888 Gen 3 Honeywell Turbo Engines - 6,800 RPM
  • 1.8T EA888 Gen 3 IHI Turbo Engines - 6,800 RPM
  • 2.0T EA888 Gen 3 IHI Turbo Engines - 7,100 RPM
  • K04, Stage III and III+ Upgraded Engines - 7,100 RPM

Last edited:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
How does the APR DSG software handle the following problems, compared to competitors tunes?

Wants:

- D mode higher gear change points. Changes gear way before power even starts.
- S mode lower shift points, and less revving on very light throttle. It revs to 5000-5500rpm even with only 25% throttle.
- Linear equal throttle response when switching between D and M mode. No changing rpms/load/speed without any manual pedal movement.

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
How does the APR DSG software handle the following problems, compared to competitors tunes?

Wants:

- D mode higher gear change points. Changes gear way before power even starts.
- S mode lower shift points, and less revving on very light throttle. It revs to 5000-5500rpm even with only 25% throttle.
- Linear equal throttle response when switching between D and M mode. No changing rpms/load/speed without any manual pedal movement.

1. Yes D mode is way better drivability. I would say it drives more "normal", it doesn't shift at 1500rpm all the time and leave you in 6th gear at like 30mph. I hated this about my CC and that is so much nicer now.

2. Yes the timing is way better for up and down shifts. I can't give too much detail as I don't use it that often, Im mainly in drive or manual.

3. Im not really sure what you mean here? The DSG flash won't change throttle response. Do you mean if you are say holding steady at 2000rpm and switch from D to M its doesn't downshift/upshift/etc? If so then yes that stays the same, it doesn't automatically try to change things.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
3. Im not really sure what you mean here? The DSG flash won't change throttle response. Do you mean if you are say holding steady at 2000rpm and switch from D to M its doesn't downshift/upshift/etc? If so then yes that stays the same, it doesn't automatically try to change things.

its easily reproducable. say you're cruising 70mph in D mode. You slap it over to M, and your car accelerates, front end lifts. You have not changed the throttle one bit. There is a different pedal input setting between D and M modes on the Unitronic DSG tune. Same vica-versa. In manual mode at 70mph. You slap it back into D mode, the front end takes a nose dive and loses power. No gear changes are involved, its always in 6th. And your foot is 100% steady, pedal is not changed.

I showed this one one of my videos once. (not in my DSG video.. i think it was a night drive video somewhere.)

Last edited:

tom@aptuning

VW Service & Performance
its easily reproducable. say you're cruising 70mph in D mode. You slap it over to M, and your car accelerates, front end lifts. You have not changed the throttle one bit. There is a different pedal input setting between D and M modes on the Unitronic DSG tune. Same vica-versa. In manual mode at 70mph. You slap it back into D mode, the front end takes a nose dive and loses power. No gear changes are involved, its always in 6th. And your foot is 100% steady, pedal is not changed. I showed this one one of my videos once.

Ive never purposely looked for that but also never noticed it on an APR dsg flash. I can def try it and see. Does it do this stock? Ive never been cruising on the highway and tried switching back and forth like that, honestly not sure sure the reason behind it.

Also just out of curiosity, what or how made you find this in the "mid-atlantic" section seeing as you are from California? Just like to know what postings seem to get the most visibility

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Ive never purposely looked for that but also never noticed it on an APR dsg flash. I can def try it and see. Does it do this stock? Ive never been cruising on the highway and tried switching back and forth like that, honestly not sure sure the reason behind it.

Also just out of curiosity, what or how made you find this in the "mid-atlantic" section seeing as you are from California? Just like to know what postings seem to get the most visibility

dont know if it does it stock actually. never tried. but i could switch back to stock DSG tune with my uniconnect in my garage and test it for fun.

its basically a "sprintbooster" technique to just make your pedal press deeper than you are actually pressing it. to give the impression of more power in M mode, even though you could do the same thing by pressing harder with your right foot. I wish both sides matched the "M" mode, I would never turn down a free "sprintbooster" pedal enhancement.

i just searched for any APR DSG thread to ask a couple questions. yours was the most recent.