GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DSG tune behaving badly? "No auto-upshift in manual" only working occasionally

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Not sure what's up. I had the 'plus" DSG tune which behaved well for a few years, now that I'm out of warranty I switched over this spring and turned off auto upshift.

Auto-upshift is definitely "off"... In that if I just mat it from first or second it usually hits fuel cut and doesn't upshift. But not always. Sometimes it shifts by itself. More often than not, this means I'm also hitting the paddle, and getting a double-upshift, which is infuriating and just kills acceleration. I've nearly spun out because of the weight transfer mid-corner.

Launch control seems to auto upshift every time, which is annoying but at least predictable, but after that it seems incredibly random.

Maybe(?) unrelated, but I also have odd behavior now occasionally when manually downshifting from 6th to 5th (normal highway pass or slowing down for an exit). Revs will drop all the way towards 1k rpm before popping back up and downshifting much slower than expected.

DSG service was done 10k miles early at 30k, now have just under 50k on the clock. Have been running this tune for about 5-7k miles I think.

I'm not getting any slipping under load so I don't think it's wearing clutches or anything like that. Could be mechatronics I guess for the second one but the upshift is definitely programming.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Have you contacted APR about these symptoms vs. expected behavior?
Not yet, thought it might me to blame last time I went autocrossing but very sure it's not after yesterday. Will be contacting them tomorrow once they're open, was just asking for other experiences.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Did you ever figure this out? I've got plus also and am now just out of my warranty period and was thinking of doing the same i.e. switching to the regular tune mainly to get rid of the auto upshift.

tehfalcon

It will still auto upshift in certain conditions to keep from damaging things, however it will automatically downshift back into the previous gear if you slow down after it upshifts. It's expected safety behavior

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I should note: APR has said before the TCU doesn't disable auto-upshift from 1st to 2nd for safety reasons. The other gears should hold, though.

Maybe that information is outdated -- I don't know -- but worth asking APR about. OP did you ever contact APR?