GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DP with stock catback

gtiGreateness

Ready to race!
I apologize for the post as I know this has been covered. However it seems there are lots of contradictory results out there. I am looking at purchasing an APR catted downpipe for my mk7.5 GTI and wondering if this will cause drone when mated to the stock catback?
Anybody currently running this setup that can provide me with some insights?

Thanks,

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Pretty sure APR quit selling downpipes so you'll have to find a used one.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it does create drone you can always get a Vibrant resonator.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I honestly don't think it'll be a significant difference. I have an aftermarket downpipe with a stock exhaust. Its noticeably louder at cold start...but once the car warms up...it quiets down to near stock. Under throttle...the car is louder than stock...but not significantly louder. If you have a DSG...the farts are also louder.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I'm in this same camp. I have an APR DP and stock exhaust and it is noticeably louder, but pleasant. I hate drone and I love the sound it produces. I agree with Chogokin that it seems louder at cold start-up.

gtiGreateness

Ready to race!
I'm in this same camp. I have an APR DP and stock exhaust and it is noticeably louder, but pleasant. I hate drone and I love the sound it produces. I agree with Chogokin that it seems louder at cold start-up.
Can you confirm there is no drone. I am looking for a louder than stock setup, just not annoying to the point where I don’t want to drive the car anymore.
Thanks

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Can you confirm there is no drone. I am looking for a louder than stock setup, just not annoying to the point where I don’t want to drive the car anymore.
Thanks
You won't have drone under 3000 RPM, so on the highway if you are in a high gear you won't drone, unless you're breaking the law by a large margin.

gtiGreateness

Ready to race!
Thanks @Daks. Are you running the APR DP? That’s my concern, I like to do a little spirited driving from time to time. Not law breaking by any means, but will rev it to 4500-5000 range.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Thanks
This is tough to say since it's very subjective. I feel there is no drone at all while highway driving. But, my threshold could be quite different than yours. I drove the car back from Texas last summer and not once did it even cross my mind. Maybe try to find a local forum member with a DP and go for a ride in their car?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Yes it drones when cruising. Vibrant 17950 solves that.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
As others have said on here just add a Vibrant 17950 to your DP of choice will solve most of the drone. If you don't want to do that the Ultimate Racing resonated DP will also help with drone(I have this). If you're looking for the quietest setup on the planet you can get a UR catted/resonated DP+Vibrant 17950+stock axleback(muffler).